is this misleading people about where they went to Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicinePowder

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've had at least four different people say they went to UCLA for medical school. One of these, was my mentor back in the day, turns out, each of these people actually got accepted and went to Drew/UCLA, which is a small school affilated with UCLA in which they do the first two years at UCLA and the remaining two years at Drew.

I personally would feel like an imposter saying I graduated from UCLA when in fact I graduated from Drew/UCLA or I"m I wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

i've had at least four different people say they went to UCLA for medical school. One of these, was my mentor back in the day, turns out, each of these people actually got accepted and went to Drew/UCLA, which is a small school affilated with UCLA in which they do the first two years at UCLA and the remaining two years at Drew.

I personally would feel like an imposter saying I graduated from UCLA when in fact I graduated from Drew/UCLA or I"m I wrong?

I agree in that it is somewhat misleading.

It won't be misleading any longer, since all of the current Drew/UCLA students are finishing out their time exclusively at UCLA (as Drew is out of the med school business).

Reminds me of my coworkers who were Harvard grads....of the extension school, not the university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im an east coast guy so IMO this qualifies under who cares but maybe im just ignorant.

Im an east coast guy so IMO this qualifies under who cares but maybe im just ignorant.

huh? so "east coast guy" are indifferent about people trying to pass on as someone they arent?

I knew a girl who would always talk about "when I was at Columbia" regarding her graduate school experience. What she didn't disclose is that she was at the University of Missouri in Columbia. It was pathetic.

my vote is misleading. But I am a west coast guy who went to undergrad at UCLA so I might be biased.

It could be a bit misleading, and I am sure that graduates of UCLA are a bit sensitive. I attended medical school in Israel, in a program affiliated with Columbia. The professors, and Israeli students, call us collectively the "Columbia" students from the "Columbia Program." They, of course, know that we attend Ben Gurion, their own university. It's just a means of differentiating our students from their own, separate, program. I am sure that the true Columbia students would not be very pleased with this, but I never try to pass myself off as having graduated from Columbia...it's just poor form. I like my University and I am nearly certain my school experience was waaaay more exciting!

Of course, if half of their education was at UCla, it seems about 50/50.:smuggrin:

I knew a girl who would always talk about "when I was at Columbia" regarding her graduate school experience. What she didn't disclose is that she was at the University of Missouri in Columbia. It was pathetic.
I wouldn't disclose working their either...... ;)

Its like Dr. Rey on Dr. 90210. He did a plastics residency at univ. of tennessee and a 1 year fellowship at harvard, and he introduces himself as a harvard trained surgeon, which i guess is accurate but a touch misleading.

Its like Dr. Rey on Dr. 90210. He did a plastics residency at univ. of tennessee and a 1 year fellowship at harvard, and he introduces himself as a harvard trained surgeon, which i guess is accurate but a touch misleading.

in one of the episodes he was wearing a harvard medical school t-shirt. defintely misleading.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first question that this raised in my mind was, "Why do you care?"

What does it really matter where someone went to medical school? If he or she passed the boards, and is now a competent physician, than what difference does it make where that persn attended med school? It doesn't.

Of course, dishonesty is wrong, and is particularly reprehensible when coming from a physician. But perhaps the people that the OP spoke with had no intentions of misleading nyone, but simply got sick of explaining the difference. My medical school (UIC) had several sites. I never bother to specify which one I attended, because I don't think it matters. If I move away from Chicago and people ask me where I went to med school I suspect I'll start saying "The University of Illinois", because I'll get sick of explaining that UIC is not U of C.

My medical school (UIC) had several sites. I never bother to specify which one I attended, because I don't think it matters. If I move away from Chicago and people ask me where I went to med school I suspect I'll start saying "The University of Illinois", because I'll get sick of explaining that UIC is not U of C.

I'm at UIC grad from Rockford. I agree with you Wilco, up here in the Great White North I just say I went to the U of Illinois. Much easier. BTW - I have my undergrad from Chambana, MPH from UIC proper, and MD from UIC-Rockford. My diplomas differ by a word ("On recommendation of the Faculty Senate at [insert city]") and my Rockford degree is out of the Senate at Chicago.

To the OP- am I being dishonest if I say I went to UIC or must I always quickly append with "at Rockford"?

- H

I'm at UIC grad from Rockford. I agree with you Wilco, up here in the Great White North I just say I went to the U of Illinois. Much easier. BTW - I have my undergrad from Chambana, MPH from UIC proper, and MD from UIC-Rockford. My diplomas differ by a word ("On recommendation of the Faculty Senate at [insert city]") and my Rockford degree is out of the Senate at Chicago.

To the OP- am I being dishonest if I say I went to UIC or must I always quickly append with "at Rockford"?

- H

not only do you need to quickly append, but in fairness to Rock-Vegas you must also add "hometown of Cheap Trick" ;)

I nominate this year as "Official pick on anything King/Drew-related year".

BTW hopefully the feds lock the doors in a couple of weeks.

It sounds like they did 50% of their training at UCLA, and there is an obvious affiliation, or they wouldn't be there for half their educational experience. To me, they are as much a UCLA graduate as a King Drew graduate. What's the difference anyways... and who cares...

I also agree with Wilco... being in chicago, people always confuse UIC with UofC, and there's multiple UIC branches. Nobody in chicago cares where you train... I certainly don't care, nor do I ask which campus UIC people trained at. To me, it makes no difference in their abilities as a physician.

Of course, if the person was an arrogant prick and had made other quasi-false statements, and would try to intentionally circumvent disclosing which branch of a program they trained at, it would just make me think they were self-conscious, and they are trying to compensate for their own feeling of inferiority.

MY alumnus is the University of Columbia...I mean, British Columbia... ;)

I nominate this year as "Official pick on anything King/Drew-related year".

BTW hopefully the feds lock the doors in a couple of weeks.

They wont, because the media and public will start blasting them for being "racist" for shutting down a "black" hospital and a "black" medical school. Thats how MLK got along being such a piss poor hospital for decades, whereas any other hospital would have been closed a long time ago. White-guilt administrators afraid of being labeled as "racists" so they just let patients die there under substandard conditions.

They wont, because the media and public will start blasting them for being "racist" for shutting down a "black" hospital and a "black" medical school. Thats how MLK got along being such a piss poor hospital for decades, whereas any other hospital would have been closed a long time ago. White-guilt administrators afraid of being labeled as "racists" so they just let patients die there under substandard conditions.

Piss poor hospital? I am assuming that you have worked at this hospital at some point in your life or you have at least been a patient at his hospital, or have lived in this community. I also hope that you are not just trying to make random generalizations about the public that lives in the surrounding areas around MLK/Drew. People that are coming out in support of this hospital are not supporting it because of all its problems but instead because if it is properly run and funded, it would properly serve the needs of the community that has regularly been ignored and marginalized because of there financial, social, ethnic backrounds. MLK/Drew was not always as in bad of shape that it is in now! At one point it was a good hospital that was doing its best to meet the medical needs of this comminuity. As for "people" causing an uproar about closing down Drew Med School, they should cause an uproar, not because it is a "black" medical school, but because its mission is one of commitment to those from underserved communities and it one of the only medical schools that is specifically stated this as one of its missions. I also think that your comment about "white-guilt" administrators being the only reason that this hospital is still open is ignorant. I do not think that you should make generalized comments about this hospital, the people involved with this hospital, or those that would come out in support of this hospital.

:mad:

Piss poor hospital? I am assuming that you have worked at this hospital at some point in your life or you have at least been a patient at his hospital, or have lived in this community. I also hope that you are not just trying to make random generalizations about the public that lives in the surrounding areas around MLK/Drew. People that are coming out in support of this hospital are not supporting it because of all its problems but instead because if it is properly run and funded, it would properly serve the needs of the community that has regularly been ignored and marginalized because of there financial, social, ethnic backrounds. MLK/Drew was not always as in bad of shape that it is in now! At one point it was a good hospital that was doing its best to meet the medical needs of this comminuity. As for "people" causing an uproar about closing down Drew Med School, they should cause an uproar, not because it is a "black" medical school, but because its mission is one of commitment to those from underserved communities and it one of the only medical schools that is specifically stated this as one of its missions. I also think that your comment about "white-guilt" administrators being the only reason that this hospital is still open is ignorant. I do not think that you should make generalized comments about this hospital, the people involved with this hospital, or those that would come out in support of this hospital.

:mad:
Paging GeneralVeers!

I graduated from UCLA and walked across the stage with Drew/UCLA students so I believe that it's not misleading. And to echo another poster, "why do you care?"

People that are coming out in support of this hospital are not supporting it because of all its problems but instead because if it is properly run and funded, it would properly serve the needs of the community that has regularly been ignored and marginalized because of there financial, social, ethnic backrounds.

Thats a load of bull****. MLK/Drew is no different than any other high acuity urban medical center, of which there are hundreds in the United States. NONE of them has a piss poor record even remotely close to the crap that MLK has been spewing out for decades.

The med school may be fine, but that hospital is an embarrassment to the entire medical field and should be boarded up ASAP. Its obvious that all the affirmative action idiots who have ran that place since its inception dont know what the hell they are doing, and at least FIVE attempts to change the administration have failed miserably. And everytime anybody has tried to install fresh outside leadership they get branded a "racist" by the so-called "community activists" because they arent "sticking to the mission of MLK"

I also think that your comment about "white-guilt" administrators being the only reason that this hospital is still open is ignorant.

Just the facts jack. Everybody tiptoes around MLK due to the constant throwing around of the "racist" label when you suggest that they are doing subpar work. The local, state, and federal govt has let them off time and time again. MLK always throws out the BS about how the "community cant live without us therefore you cant do anything to change us" crap.