Is this ok to put in a letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrpuff26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am currently waitlisted at school A, but accepted at school B. School B starts in July and school A starts at the end of August. Is it alright for me to write in my letter of intent that "I will attend school A ONLY if you accept me before XXX date?" Is this considered rude? I can't really wait until July or later for school A to accept me because school B would have already started.

Members don't see this ad.

It's rude, and you need to make a decision by May 15, so the joke is actually on you ;p

And don't you only get accepted off of waitlists when other people decide not to go there? So I don't think demanding a time would really help you at all...except maybe they would choose you over another? But I really doubt that would happen because you gave them a deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's rude, and you need to make a decision by May 15, so the joke is actually on you ;p

You can stay on waitlists beyond May 15th. And if offered admission from a waitlist you can accept it and withdraw from the school you were planning to attend.

OP, I don't think deadlines will work in your favor. I would just express strong interest in my letter and hope for the best.

So, I am currently waitlisted at school A, but accepted at school B. School B starts in July and school A starts at the end of August. Is it alright for me to write in my letter of intent that "I will attend school A ONLY if you accept me before XXX date?" Is this considered rude? I can't really wait until July or later for school A to accept me because school B would have already started.

You can stay on waitlists beyond May 15th. And if offered admission from a waitlist you can accept it and withdraw from the school you were planning to attend.

OP, I don't think deadlines will work in your favor. I would just express strong interest in my letter and hope for the best.

Staying on waitlists past May 15th is not the problem, staying on it when the school he is accepted at starts is the problem. You can't exactly proceed to drop out of school B to attend school A, that would be REALLY denying someone a medical school spot, not just making them wait a little longer to find out.

My speculation is that it's a valid concern, just politely mention that you will have to withdraw your application if you have not heard back by X date because your current school will have started then and it should be okay.