Is this okay approach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamavase

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Blessed Thanksgiving. I am taking my MCAT again because my score was low. The problem is that I have also applied to medical school this cycle so they know my scores. I have recently explained to many--via email that I will re-sit the exam in January 2011. I have gotten several emails back from a few schools that they are not able to "consider these scores" this cycle.

I was thinking about writing an email back to some of the schools to let them know that it is okay that they are not going to consider the score; however I will let them know that I am still going to re-take it. I especially want to tell this one school, since their admissions director personally sent me an email to explain that they could not consider it. The person even told me to contact them if I had any questions. I have not had an invitation to an interview at this particular school so, I was not sure what to do. Any thoughts? Thank you. I know I can get a much better score and I want these schools to feel great about selecting me and not be concerned.:p

Some of these schools have encourged me to take the Janaury MCAT and said they could still consider it this cycle. I am just confused about how to approach the one's who won't consider it, because I still want them to know that I am taking it, in a proffssional manner that is.

Members don't see this ad.

Useless to retake at this point.

I am just confused about how to approach the one's who won't consider it, because I still want them to know that I am taking it, in a proffssional manner that is.
You've already told them you are retaking the test. To inform them again and again would not be professional. This is not a negociable issue. If a school has a policy of not considering the January MCAT, then no means, "No." Schools apply the same rules to everyone and it would reflect badly on them if they use different criteria for some applicants. It won't hurt to let them know the new score anyway, but it will be a wasted effort. If you end up reapplying, then they will take it into consideration.

Good luck, though, at the schools that are willing to take the January test into consideration. Those are the schools you should be focusing more attention on right now.

You've already told them you are retaking the test. To inform them again and again would not be professional. This is not a negociable issue. If a school has a policy of not considering the January MCAT, then no means, "No." Schools apply the same rules to everyone and it would reflect badly on them if they use different criteria for some applicants. It won't hurt to let them know the new score anyway, but it will be a wasted effort. If you end up reapplying, then they will take it into consideration.

Good luck, though, at the schools that are willing to take the January test into consideration. Those are the schools you should be focusing more attention on right now.

Thank you so much Catalystic for taking the time out of your Thanksgiving for answering my question. Yes that is correct not to stress what was already mentioned. I think it is best too not to contact them again. My point in contacting them would simply to have been to let them know I was taking it even though they said they would not consider it. My point was to show that their procedure was not going to thwart my interest to take it again--that was all, but as you mentioned, I told them this already...so now I will need to move on in faith:love:

blessings to you...also...

[EDIT] I was not looking for special consideration; I was simply here to get clarification. Thank you.

@ TraigePreMed thank you for your response

Last edited: