is this possible? va tech pre-pharm > purdue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jso1226

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i got into purdue pre-pharm which is 2 years of pre pharm + 4 years of professional. yay! but money is a problem due to expansive oos tuition :(
so i was wondering if its possible to go to va tech which is my state school and do the pre pharmcy track for 2 years and then apply for purdue pharmacy school?
it would be so much better to just attend purdue ... but im scared of those 26,000 loans per year:/

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hi
i got into purdue pre-pharm which is 2 years of pre pharm + 4 years of professional. yay! but money is a problem due to expansive oos tuition :(
so i was wondering if its possible to go to va tech which is my state school and do the pre pharmcy track for 2 years and then apply for purdue pharmacy school?
it would be so much better to just attend purdue ... but im scared of those 26,000 loans per year:/

thank you!
If it's a 2+4 program, I don't see why you can't since you'd have to reapply after your pre-reqs anyway. But a lot of schools put preference on students that took classes within their institution. You should ask them first if that would hurt your chances.

Personally, I think if you really want to go to Purdue for pharmacy and serious about pharmacy, I would just go there for undergrad. They really put preference on their own students, I'd say 50% of the kids in my 2nd yr pre-pharm class will get the chance to matriculate (some don't b/c of poor grades during last semester, but a lot of students will get the chance). You'll pay back the loans... that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
what happens to the students who dont get into professional program?
do they stay in pre-pharm and get to apply again later? then, does it take longer?

Some stay for 3rd yr and reapply, most of those students will get in or get a high spot on waiting list. Others codo to other majors.

For what it's worth, Purdue is ranked as the #9 College of Pharmacy according US News and World Report. I don't think VA Tech is ranked.

For what it's worth, Purdue is ranked as the #9 College of Pharmacy according US News and World Report. I don't think VA Tech is ranked.

Yes I agree. But I've always wondered what those rankings are based on? Does anyone know?

Yes I agree. But I've always wondered what those rankings are based on? Does anyone know?

Good question. This is what I found:

"U.S. News pharmacy schools rankings are based on ratings provided by academic experts such as faculty, program directors, and deans. These experts were surveyed and asked to judge the academic quality of pharmacy programs based on a five point scale. The submitted scores were averaged, and the school with the highest score made the top of the list, the school with the second highest score was placed in second, and so forth."