Is this possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STUCKinUCR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive heard that the clinical sciences that you learn during the first two years of dental school are the same that you get during your first two in medical. If thats the case, then would it be possible for you to transfer after two years? Has anyone heard of something like this happening?

Members don't see this ad.

STUCKinUCR said:
Ive heard that the clinical sciences that you learn during the first two years of dental school are the same that you get during your first two in medical. If thats the case, then would it be possible for you to transfer after two years? Has anyone heard of something like this happening?

This sounds like you're trying to find a sneaky way into med school!!! For shame!

Nevertheless... I don't think you can just transfer. You'd have to apply to the med school... PLUS... you'd have to tell them that you were enrolled in dental school before and that you dropped out and what your reasons for dropping out were. Then, you'd probably have to repeat those 2 years anyways... All in all, it's not a good plan. If you want to be a doctor, apply to medical school. If you want to be a dentist, apply to dental school. It's really the best way to go.

STUCKinUCR said:

The 1st two years of dental school may be more difficult than the 1st two years of medical school. For example, at UCONN dental students take all the courses that medical students take + a few courses that are only for dental students.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is NOT an easy way into med school. I did the second year (supposedly the most difficult) and part of the first year of med school at the same time, and it wasn't nearly as difficult as dental school. The med students only take about 17-20 lecture hours per week (at least where I was) while I took 30-35 hours per week in dental school. I even had a job on the side in med school working 20-30 hours per week...there's no way I could have done that in dental school.

If you want to go to med school, just apply to med school. If you can't get in to med school, you'll probably have just as much trouble getting into dental school also these days.

toofache32 said:
This is NOT an easy way into med school. I did the second year (supposedly the most difficult) and part of the first year of med school at the same time, and it wasn't nearly as difficult as dental school. The med students only take about 17-20 lecture hours per week (at least where I was) while I took 30-35 hours per week in dental school. I even had a job on the side in med school working 20-30 hours per week...there's no way I could have done that in dental school.

If you want to go to med school, just apply to med school. If you can't get in to med school, you'll probably have just as much trouble getting into dental school also these days.

In general, do you think med school is harder to GET INTO then dental school or the other way around. I'm just curious.

PDizzle said:
In general, do you think med school is harder to GET INTO then dental school or the other way around. I'm just curious.
That's a question I really don't know the answer to. Anecdotally, I had several dental school classmates that were excepted to med school but not dental, and waited another year a reapplied to dental school. Also, I think the Admissions Committees are really looking for different things.

I guess you would have to look at the acceptance rates for each. This could be skewed though, because there are tons of college kids who apply to med school even though they know they don't have the grades, and they never even consider dental school. I think dental applicants tend to have thought about all the options more, and know more what they're getting into. But this is only my experience/observation. The 2 fields are really very different and if you apply to both you either don't really know what you want, or you're just chasing a "doctor" status.

I would say without a doubt that the MCAT is harder than the DAT. I would also say that MD schools are harder to get into than dental schools (generally speaking) but dental schools are harder to get into than DO schools (generally speaking).

TimR said:
I would say without a doubt that the MCAT is harder than the DAT. I would also say that MD schools are harder to get into than dental schools (generally speaking) but dental schools are harder to get into than DO schools (generally speaking).

io dental school.

Med school is probably more difficult to get into, but dental school is definately harder to get out of.