Is This Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dubes40

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im 21 years old. I currently attend a JC up here in Northern California. I got accepted into San Diego State and will be majoring in Kinesiology(health, nutrition and exercise). I then plan on going to grad school and getting a masters. Then I want to apply to dental school. Is this road that im taking nearly impossible to make it to dental school? or have there been many in my situation? Would dental schools even look at me or give me a chance?

if i get a great gpa for my undergrad and then my grad school, will I have a good chance? would i have pick a particular major for grad school for them to look at me or is the kinesiology, health, exercise science good? like in that major im going to be taking many bio classes, both undergrad and whatever area i choose for grad. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

if i get a great gpa for my undergrad and then my grad school, will I have a good chance?

I think you know the answer to that. And plenty of people get their masters before applying to d school.

ya but there masters in what and from where? ok, well whats your response to the rest of my post? is my road a near impossible one? or is it very possible and will dental schools still look at me even though i went to a csu? and also my major.

Members don't see this ad :)
ya but there masters in what and from where? ok, well whats your response to the rest of my post? is my road a near impossible one? or is it very possible and will dental schools still look at me even though i went to a csu? and also my major.

you do realize that non-science majors also get in to dental school, right? if you're worried about your major, just take into consideration that everyone takes the same prereqs...if you ace your prereqs and some molecular biology and biochemistry major doesn't do so well in them, do you honestly think they'd take the other guy just because his major was "harder?"

nothing is impossible, its just a matter of how hard you're willing to work. if you are concerned about your application, make sure you shine from as many different angles as you can....strong GPA, strong DAT, lots of EC, research, shadowing, etc...and if you're planning on doing a masters either do one in oral/craniofacial biology at one of the d-schools or stick to a course based, as opposed to research based, masters program in something (i would think) biology related.

btw if you do a search you'll find a ton of people like you who think they have "no shot at geting in," whereas they have plenty of time to develop themselves into really competitive applicants.

best of luck

your story happens at least 3 times a day.

Yeah, your story is not uncommon. As long as you get a solid, strong GPA (seems like about a 3.5 ave GPA right now) and do well on the DATs, you will be fine no matter what route you take. It of course the most important thing is that if you get your MS, to get it in a field you would want to work in if you don't get accepted to dental school for whatever reason...or if you decide it isn't for you. I know English majors that have gotten into dental school. Do what you like best. Of course I think if you do a masters, research helps. At least I know it did in my case. Good luck.

Im 21 years old. I currently attend a JC up here in Northern California. I got accepted into San Diego State and will be majoring in Kinesiology(health, nutrition and exercise). I then plan on going to grad school and getting a masters. Then I want to apply to dental school. Is this road that im taking nearly impossible to make it to dental school? or have there been many in my situation? Would dental schools even look at me or give me a chance?

if i get a great gpa for my undergrad and then my grad school, will I have a good chance? would i have pick a particular major for grad school for them to look at me or is the kinesiology, health, exercise science good? like in that major im going to be taking many bio classes, both undergrad and whatever area i choose for grad. thanks

I went to a JC in northern cali, then went to a UC, graduated then just got my Masters this week, and I am going to D-school in the fall. So it is possible.
Major in what ever you want to, plenty of people major in English or something like that and get in.
Which JC are you at?

Christ...

I graduated from San Diego State Univeristy. SDSU has a decently strong Pre-dental program at the school and the UCSD program is even better and allows predental students from anywhere in the vicinity to participate if they want.

1st, a CSU isn't a guarantee of getting accepted or rejected, neither is attending a UC school, or Harvard...it depends on your grades and your DAT scores and your extracurricular activities.

You are taking a long haul road. You don't need a graduate degree to attend dental school, you could just do really well in undergrad at State and take the extra classes necessary to apply to dental school and apply and get in.

Of the 13 or so pre-dental students from SDSU who applied this year to dental school, 10 of us have gotten into dental schools. 8 of us are going to our top choice schools. There are various reasons why the other 3 people didn't get into dental school this year, and some will probably be reapplying after continuing to improve their application. Still, 10 out of 13 is like 75% acceptance...which is way better than the 4,500 people out of 12,000 that apply that get into dental school nationally (37%).