Is this reference letter any good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canmed96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm a ways a way from applying (next year) but i just finished a volunteer program and got a reference letter so i wouldnt have to ask for it later. This is the first one i've ever had and i didn't know what to expect. I just thought it'd be a little more detailed and comprehensive. Thoughts? (its attached)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• EPSON006.JPG
    EPSON006.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 274
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, i'm a ways a way from applying (next year) but i just finished a volunteer program and got a reference letter so i wouldnt have to ask for it later. This is the first one i've ever had and i didn't know what to expect. I just thought it'd be a little more detailed and comprehensive. Thoughts? (its attached)

I agree with gyngyn, it looks impersonal. If someone is writing you a letter they should know you a fair amount and be able to communicate specific instances where you demonstrated x,y, and z characteristics. Just thank them for the letter, ask if they will be a reference for when you report your hours on AMCAS and try to get a more personal letter. Remember, the position and qualifications of the letter writer doesn't matter, its what they can say about you that matters.

Thanks for your replies, i'll be sure not to use it for my app.

Reactions: 1 user
You were only there for 40 hours. That's like a week. The writer couldn't have known you well enough to write an appropriate letter.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

You were only there for 40 hours. That's like a week. The writer couldn't have known you well enough to write an appropriate letter.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
And you have to consider the fact that they likely did not work with OP. For my volunteering I talk with my coordinators before and after every shift about who I saw/ what I was able to contribute that day. Face time is extremely important, especially since volunteer coordinators rarely work directly with volunteers.

Out of curiosity, how often do you see letters like these? Especially for big hospitals, I would guess it is common for the volunteer coordinator to use a template such as this for their 100s of pre-med volunteers.

Do letters like these actively hurt your application (as long as you have other strong ones from people you personally know you), or are they simply ignored?

Out of curiosity, how often do you see letters like these? Especially for big hospitals, I would guess it is common for the volunteer coordinator to use a template such as this for their 100s of pre-med volunteers.

Do letters like these actively hurt your application (as long as you have other strong ones from people you personally know you), or are they simply ignored?
Often.
Requesting LoE's from people who do not know you is not helpful.
It wastes everybody's time.
Generally speaking, LoE's from volunteer supervisors look a lot like this. Useless.

Often.
Requesting LoE's from people who do not know you is not helpful.
It wastes everybody's time.
Generally speaking, LoE's from volunteer supervisors look a lot like this. Useless.
I mean... if you go to a big school it's not like your professors know you that well either.

Personally I think LoE's are basically useless all around.

I mean... if you go to a big school it's not like your professors know you that well either.

Evidence that you can communicate with people very different from yourself is about the only thing we hope for in the usual LoR. A real LOE is mostly a dream. We do sometimes get it from a committee letter, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

I went to a big university and my professors that authored my letters knew me very well. If you make a serious effort to get close to professors and make them your mentors, then you can gets some powerful letters.

Reactions: 1 users
I went to a big university and my professors that authored my letters knew me very well. If you make a serious effort to get close to professors and make them your mentors, then you can gets some powerful letters.
Proud of you man

Proud of you man

Trying to get a good LOR aside, talking to faculty members at your school is worth your time. They can provide some great career advice and guidance. If they get to know you well enough, they can also be great counsel for many other things.

I used to think of getting LORs as a daunting chore, but it's become more about getting to know faculty members who are really behind your education and career goals; the LORs are secondary and will come naturally.

Try putting in a little effort to get to know your professors. I think the only people who think LORs are useless are the people who can't get anyone to write anything positive about them.