is this school legit? http://www.gotomedschool.com/index.html

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw this on SDN advertisment. It's kinda funny to see a school would use gotomedschool.com as their web address. Is this a hoax or something?

Members don't see this ad.

This one is better www.stewartmed.org

This was really an advertisement on SDN? Looks really fake...not to mention it's accredited in Poland.

This one is better [SIZE=-1]www.stewartmed.org

This was really an advertisement on SDN? Looks really fake...
[/SIZE]

I see Chancellor Stewart has updated his website a bit, and added some more information about the clinical rotations, the super-secret location, and his administration (check out the staff photos for bonus points).

Also, I distinctly remember a woman professor, but the guy in the middle of the faculty page has replaced her. So much for diversity. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I see Chancellor Stewart has updated his website a bit, and added some more information about the clinical rotations, the super-secret location, and his administration (check out the staff photos for bonus points).

Also, I distinctly remember a woman professor, but the guy in the middle of the faculty page has replaced her. So much for diversity. :D

Web Mistress?
GunillaLeavitt.jpg

I saw this on SDN advertisment. It's kinda funny to see a school would use gotomedschool.com as their web address. Is this a hoax or something?
Ah.....beginning to get nervous about not getting into dental school and looking for options?

I'm Lance Arthur Stewart, son of Dr. Stewart and plaid-graphics-design major, and I approve this message.
la_stewart.jpg

Web Mistress?
GunillaLeavitt.jpg

No, not her. She was the professor in the middle of the faculty page, blonde, middle-aged, and a bit Russian-looking. She's gone in favor of Mr. Suave the biochemistry/physiology professor. Wonder why?

is stewartmed legit or is it a hoax?

if you send them money will you really just lose it?

is stewartmed legit or is it a hoax?

if you send them money will you really just lose it?

No, it's totally real. Also send money to:
Dr. Nick Riviera
123 Hollywood Upstairs Medical College
Hollywood, Nigeria

Dr. Nick Riviera
123 Hollywood Upstate University
Hollywood, Nigeria

Dr SunnyJohn, Bursar
Hogwarts School of Osteopahic Medicine, Allopathic Ideals and the Dark Arts
123 Owl Lane
Magic, Land

Dr. Nick Riviera
123 Hollywood Upstairs Medical College
Hollywood, Nigeria

haha.

I thought it was an upstart carribean MD school.

I wonder how much money they make...

Members don't see this ad :)
haha.

I thought it was an upstart carribean MD school.

I wonder how much money they make...

As a, uh, current student, I can tell you for a small information fee, payable immediately through my Paypal account.

And just to set the record straight: my alma mater ain't no foreign school, it's a foreign school operating on consulates and military bases in California...that has thus applied for recognition as a foreign medical school. That is, whenever they get someone's permission to do so.

I see Chancellor Stewart has updated his website a bit, and added some more information about the clinical rotations, the super-secret location, and his administration (check out the staff photos for bonus points),

I like the photos of the sunny sandy beach that is Stewart's "future location", followed by the photo of some random house in case you picked up on the fact that Stewart doesn't physically exist.

http://www.stewartmed.org/documents/Stanford%20Page 10.pdf

Stewart in da news!

:laugh: I love how by "in the news," they mean, "we took out an ad in a newspaper."

Unfortunatly...

Im pretty sure whoevers behind that school will be making significantly more money than i will...for the next 8 years or so at least.

Just something to consider...Maybe SDN should open its own online medical school. Theres enough doctors that visit these forums to have quite the impressive faculty list. They've already for some ADCOM members.

Unfortunatly...

Im pretty sure whoevers behind that school will be making significantly more money than i will...for the next 8 years or so at least.

Just something to consider...Maybe SDN should open its own online medical school. Theres enough doctors that visit these forums to have quite the impressive faculty list. They've already for some ADCOM members.

Well, they are currently looking to fill faculty positions for January 2007....it's never too late!

I'd really love to know if anyone has actualy called them, or sent them money.

Part of me is fairly certain there are poeple out there right now telling their friends and families about this great new school they found.

http://www.stewartmed.org/studentessay.html

Did anyone read this student essay from a steward med school student? It's kinda weird at the end where he mentions he's a multi-millionaire.

This gives me an idea...write fake letters to the admissions committee explaining hardships and see if they are real-sounding enough to get posted. Winner gets to mock Genetics some more.

can't this website/''school'' be sued for lying?

can't this website/''school'' be sued for lying?

There are a variety of grounds on which you could sue if you relied on claims and were defrauded. Assuming they are not acting in earnest. But it seems like all their cards are on the table -- they lack accredition, much of their faculty, and a game plan for what they will do with you third year. If you want to proceed anyhow, it's not really fraud.

Oh, this is just PRICELESS!!! I've seen a lot of Carib "med school in a hut" websites, for personal enjoyment, but this one really takes the top prize...

IMAGINE! Becoming a doc in 2 yrs, 10 months! And being trained in "embassy compounds" in Calif? (ehh, how many embassy compounds are there in Calif, I wonder.. Well never mind).

Also, they have "offshore accreditation". Phew. That's good. And they want to provide more physicians for the Calif Army National Guard (did anybody tell them that the DoD only accepts LCME-grads).

Damn. If there's a single verifiable fact on this website, I'd really like to know what it is. Scary thing is, that it's not entirely unlikely that they'll be able to lure some money out of somebody, despite being a clear fraud.

Still, kinda looking forward to the Calif medical board starts going after them, esp since it's probably the most fearsome board out there, together with Texas. Good luck, Stewart. You'll need it!

There are a variety of grounds on which you could sue if you relied on claims and were defrauded. Assuming they are not acting in earnest. But it seems like all their cards are on the table -- they lack accredition, much of their faculty, and a game plan for what they will do with you third year. If you want to proceed anyhow, it's not really fraud.

I agree... Difficult to sue if you based your decision on stupidity on your own part... :rolleyes:

I wonder if those are real ''classroom'' action pics...

WAIT! It gets better and better. Turns out that the braintrust behind the glorious So. Cal domiciled Steward University are no less than three generations of "Bullocks"

http://www.stewartmed.org/administration.html

What can I say? *ROTFL*

Pay 250K and go to Wayne state for Med or take a full-ride to Stewart U (the prestigous ''Chancellor Scholarship'' exists...)?

I smell a poll...

:idea: UCSF, Stanford and UCLA, watch out! Competition is increasing!!! :eek:
Apologies for the long post, but I haven't laughed so hard in a looong time... Enjoy! :D

Frequently Asked Questions (edited)
List revised Feb 7, 2007

Q: Why isn't Stewart University School of Medicine accredited in the state of California?
A: We neither seek nor desire accreditation from the State of California, as we are an International school, operating on federal land, and do not need accreditation from the State of California in order to operate. Because we are an International school that is operating on federal land, we operate outside the jurisdiction of the State of California, and they have no authority over Stewart University despite their desire to control all medical training in the State of California. If you call the State of California, they will not say that they recognize Stewart University because Stewart University is above the standard of the state as an International medical school that operates on federal land outside the state's jurisdiction. We are operating completely legally and within federal government boundaries and protections, and for this reason the state of California cannot and does not have the authority to recognize our stature.
Q: Where can I practice when I finish my training at Stewart University School of Medicine?
A: All graduates of our institution are expected to be granted the ability to practice unrestricted medicine and surgery with the federal government, VA hospitals, all the Uniformed Services, US Public Health Service and Indian Health Service. We expect recognition in at least 80 percent of the states and US possessions, which is the standard currently for International medical schools. Only recognition by any one state or territory is required for federal recognition. Currently International students are being accepted by various other National Guard organizations. Our graduates will be given the same license to practice as any other foreign or U.S. medical graduate who is granted a license to practice in any given state.
Q: Why is the M.D. program at Stewart University an accelerated 2 yr and 10 month MD program?
A: The World Health Organization only requires that an M.D. program be 2 yr and 6 months for recognition by them. Since most states are moving to requiring 3 years of residency for International medical school graduates prior to licensure, why keep those same medical students in medical school an extra year before the three years of residency? If the medical students can pass the licensing exams and they fulfill the World Health Organization training requirements, we see no reason to hold them back for a 4th year of medical school.
Q: Where are the clinical rotations being done?
A: Clinical rotations are the least concern of a new applicant to medical school. A new medical student, just beginning their medical school basic science instruction, has 16 months in the accelerated Stewart University M.D. program, before they even take the USMLE step 1 exam, which they need to pass prior to taking any clinical rotations in the U.S.. The clinical rotations can take place in a variety of locations throughout the United States or elsewhere in the world - where the medical student desires.
Stewart University plans to associate our clinical rotations with the VA hospital system, US Military tertiary care medical facilities, foreign hospitals, and various JCAH approved hospital training programs.
Q: Where is Stewart University conducting their medical classes?
A: Stewart University School of Medicine basic science classes are conducted in Ventura County, located in southern California, USA.
The exact location of current medical classes is temporary for the first semester prior to moving to the main campus, planned for May 2007. In the meantime, the location is kept confidential, and provided only to those students who have applied, paid their seat reservation fees, signed the student enrollment agreement, and been accepted to the medical school.Stewart University upholds the utmost privacy to its faculty and students.
Q: When the school moves to the main campus location in May 2007 how will that affect its accreditation?
A: The accreditation is through a foreign accreditation authority. When the school moves to the main campus, the classes will be conducted on grounds shared with a compound designated as foreign embassy or consulate. Therefore Stewart University will remain an International university, on foreign soil, but located in California, yet outside of the juridiction of the California state government just as it already is operating on federal land.
Q: Where can I practice if I have earned an M.D. degree with Stewart University, an 'Internationally' accredited school?
A: You would be an International Medical School graduate, and can perform a residency in any state in the US and any other country of your choice, to the best of our knowledge. All residents practice under supervision of a hospital, so there is no problem with doing a residency in any state of the U.S..
Although selection to residency programs is competitive, there are approximately 10,000 residency positions that go unfilled each year in the US. Upon completion of the residency program, you apply for an unrestricted license to practice medicine and surgery in whatever country you choose. Most US states (approx. 80 percent), and other countries are believed to accept your Stewart University M.D. and 3 yrs residency training and license you - although specifically it is decided on an individual and state or country basis.

WAIT! It gets better and better. Turns out that the braintrust behind the glorious So. Cal domiciled Steward University are no less than three generations of "Bullocks"

http://www.stewartmed.org/administration.html

What can I say? *ROTFL*

Betcha $100 that Provost Emeritus is at least 90 years old, if not dead already. I'm betting his picture is from WW II (the "big one").:laugh:

I like this quote from above story...

Stewart also points out that, "If I had taken this course, I could have saved 3 years of my life waiting to get into medical school."

Since it doesn't appear that he ever graduated from medical school (only "attended"), I guess he tanked the MCAT (amongst other things). How altruistic of him to want to help others do what he couldn't....pass the MCAT, get into medical school, run a school with your dead grandfather as Provost, wear a kilt while looking at the beach sitting on the comfortable blue couch in your student lounge...

Whoa PathOne, calm down, we all know how excited you are to drop everything and attend this school. ;)

Damn! Cannot I hide *ANYTHING* from you NickRivera? ;) Yeah, I think I'll throw everything in my life away, and start anew. Hopefully, they'll accept me, even though I'm neither "celtic" (which apparently is a strong plus at this "school") nor ex-military. But think of the possibilities! To be part of medical history! To attend a "school" where NOBODY in "faculty" or "administration" have anything resembling an MD. Where you can pay your $750 "reservation fee" or $7,500 sem/tuition online through paypal.

Tryst me! This is a winner baby!

Just imagine my (second) Residency interview:
PD: So, where was your school located?
Me: In SoCal.
PD: But where?
Me: Sorry, can't say. That's a secret. But I CAN say that it was a embassy compound!
PD: Where did you do your clinicals?
Me: Clinicals? What clinicals? They said that I could do clinicals in Residency. Why spend time doing that when in medical school?
PD: So, where's the school accredited?
Me: It has a very prestigious offshore accreditation. I could tell you from whom, but then, as a Celtic former military person, I'd have to kill you.
PD: But, but... Does your school have any affiliations?
Me: Yes! We're proudly supporting the "Veterans of Foreign Wars", the American Legion and the "Scottish-American Military Society".
PD: Who're they?
Me: Y'know, the "Scottish-American Military Society", with the aptly phrased medically relevant slogan: "With fire and sword..."
PD: But do you have any Letters of Recommendation?
Me: Yes. Lookie see: I have LoR's from: Bill Bullock Stewart Sr.; Bill Bullock Stewart Jr.; Bill Bullock Stewart III; James T. Stewart; Ronald S. Stewart AND, not to forget, Lance Arthur Stewart!
PD: OH! OK. You're Hired! Welcome aboard. We're just so honored to have you with us!!!
:smuggrin:

Damn! Cannot I hide *ANYTHING* from you NickRivera? ;) Yeah, I think I'll throw everything in my life away, and start anew. Hopefully, they'll accept me, even though I'm neither "celtic" (which apparently is a strong plus at this "school") nor ex-military. But think of the possibilities! To be part of medical history! To attend a "school" where NOBODY in "faculty" or "administration" have anything resembling an MD. Where you can pay your $750 "reservation fee" or $7,500 sem/tuition online through paypal.

Tryst me! This is a winner baby!

Just imagine my (second) Residency interview:
PD: So, where was your school located?
Me: In SoCal.
PD: But where?
Me: Sorry, can't say. That's a secret. But I CAN say that it was a embassy compound!
PD: Where did you do your clinicals?
Me: Clinicals? What clinicals? They said that I could do clinicals in Residency. Why spend time doing that when in medical school?
PD: So, where's the school accredited?
Me: It has a very prestigious offshore accreditation. I could tell you from whom, but then, as a Celtic former military person, I'd have to kill you.
PD: But, but... Does your school have any affiliations?
Me: Yes! We're proudly supporting the "Veterans of Foreign Wars", the American Legion and the "Scottish-American Military Society".
PD: Who're they?
Me: Y'know, the "Scottish-American Military Society", with the aptly phrased medically relevant slogan: "With fire and sword..."
PD: But do you have any Letters of Recommendation?
Me: Yes. Lookie see: I have LoR's from: Bill Bullock Stewart Sr.; Bill Bullock Stewart Jr.; Bill Bullock Stewart III; James T. Stewart; Ronald S. Stewart AND, not to forget, Lance Arthur Stewart!
PD: OH! OK. You're Hired! Welcome aboard. We're just so honored to have you with us!!!
:smuggrin:

tooooo funny. hah.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

In real life, StewartMed Biochemistry and Physiology professor, Nick M. Makridakis, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
is actually

wait for it

Nick M. Makridakis, PhD
Assistant Professor of Research
USC Keck School of Medicine

Stay tuned next week, when I reveal the identity of Batman.

Hmm. At least the USC guy seems pretty legit. I do wonder, however, what the Calif Medical Board and USC thinks about this new "school".

Wow talk about emphasizing diversity, look at this...

The school is run by...

AnthonyGuancione.jpg
the head of the italian mafia

AubreeGuancione.jpg
The prostitute from across the street

rs_stewart.jpg
The douche jock from your high school English class

TomConaway.jpg
an ex-con

stewart_jr.jpg
Some guy from The revolutionary War

You crack me up, Instigata... Really funny. Actually, I also thought that the first guy in your mug-shot gallery was a fine example of one of our Cosa Nostra friends. Additionally, I noted that he seems to be married to that.... professional woman in personal services... you are referring to.
The rest of the descriptions also seem dead on. Gosh, they'll get an avalance of SDN applications soon, I'm sure.

Just to reiterate some of what went on the Stewart University thread of a couple of weeks ago, the Chancellor was a medical student in Antigua in 2005 (just google his name). No word yet on whether he actually graduated before taking over the heavy duties of running his medical school.

Yeah, but this guy is S-M-A-R-R-T. No need to go to third world islands in the Carib., when you can just find an "embassy compound" in SoCal. Also, even the Carib. money machines haven't figured out the ingenious marketing ploy of cutting MD training down to less than 3 years... Heck, who needs clinicals anywayz?

This gotta be a Winner! - I can't wait until they relocate to one of their many new campuses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_California_state_prisons