Is this "sucking up" in my secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

str8flexed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ah

Members don't see this ad.

if it's the truth, i'd say it

If you have to ask whether it's sucking up, it's sucking up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything in your application that supports your claim? Have you had experience working in underserved areas, did you grow up in an area with a physician shortage? Is this part of your motivation for entering medicine? If you can find something solid to support the statement, by all means include it, especially if this is for a school in a less-populated area whose mission is to educate physicians who will stick around and practice locally.

leahmaria said:
if it's the truth, i'd say it

Don't get me wrong, but I WILL consider practicing where there is need, but does saying this actually look bad regardless of whether it's the truth--because it "sounds too good to be true" ?

Of course people also have their own desires to live in a nice city, town, etc., and doctors often like nice things and are seeking nice living conditions.

str8flexed said:
In what region of the country do you plan to practice? Explain your reasons for choosing this area:

blahblah...Though the coast is beautiful, I would also consider going wherever there is a strong need....blahblah

Should I put say that to show my humanitarian side? Or does that basically just sound like I am sucking up and putting what they want to hear?
The correct answer is South Carolina.

I agree with the "can you back it up" angle... I had the same question as you: I want to go into primary care... and I was afraid my secondaries would sound too flowery if I mentioned it. But, I grew up in a tiny town, worked and volunteered with primary care docs... so it's not coming out of left field, ya know? If all my clinical experience had come from a plastic surgeon's office in Beverly Hills, my essays would definitely be a red flag. Stick to your truth, regardless of what it is; it'll keep you out of trouble.

CavalierMD said:
Stick to your truth, regardless of what it is; it'll keep you out of trouble.
Good advice. Best advice I got from a private premed advisor was that your essays are not an opportunity to get aspirational. Save that for the interview if it comes up.

In other words, don't talk about your strong desire and love of doing primary healthcare for the underserved community if you've never worked in a clinic or on a mission. Talk about your hopes for the future based on a concrete present and past. Anything else sounds... flowery.