Is this summer internship good for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bns140

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to first say that I am immensely grateful for all of the advice and suggestions that I've been getting from this website since I started. I feel that I'm a bit late into my undergraduate years (currently a senior) to focus my attention on medical school, so everything that's been commented on my previous posts have been great appreciated.

My plan is to first take a gap year, and work as a medical scribe at a nearby hospital, before applying to a post-bacc program to take all the pre-requisites. But I was wondering if doing this Summer Public Health Scholars Program Internship with Columbia University before applying for a scribe position look good in my medical school application, or is it even worth it?

http://ps.columbia.edu/education/st...e-and-post-baccalaureate-students/summer-publ

I do want to apply for an MPH while in medical school so this is definitely up my alley of interest. The program is only about 2 months long, but that is 2 months that I could already be working as a scribe. And since I'll only have a year before I apply to a post-bacc program I want to maximize my time working and to show I was in that position for as long as I can.

If doing that internship would be looked at equally to a year position working as a medical scribe, then I'd potentially pick the scribe position more, especially since my gap year is primarily to save money for post-bacc tuition.

However, Columbia's medical school will eventually be a school I would like to apply to in the future, I wonder if adcomm would see my experience in that internship and see that I have history with their school, which would look good.

I also feel that there is a great chance of me getting that internship too if I did apply for it. (high cum GPA+, research background, ethnic status based on their "are encouraged to apply" section)

Also, since I will be a college graduate, there are very little summer internships I could do as a recent college graduate, and since I have not taken and courses in biology, chemistry, etc. that further limits my choices of internships.

Members don't see this ad.

omg no if you do this you'll never get into med school!!!!!!!!

but actually...common sense..not so common?

Ignore the a holes.

I think it would be a good opportunity, but hard to say if it would look better than the 2 extra months of scribing. But if it's something you're interested in, that matters as well. If you can get a scribing job whenever, I would personally do the program and then scribe. If anything, it allows a little bit of diversity.

I don't think doing the MPH summer program provides a significant resume boost, but it could be a conversation starter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ignore the a holes.

I think it would be a good opportunity, but hard to say if it would look better than the 2 extra months of scribing. But if it's something you're interested in, that matters as well. If you can get a scribing job whenever, I would personally do the program and then scribe. If anything, it allows a little bit of diversity.

I don't think doing the MPH summer program provides a significant resume boost, but it could be a conversation starter.
hey now-no name calling!
we are all friendly peoples here
and sometimes friends need to be oh so gently reminded to relax a little and do activities and jobs they like for the hell of it ;)

hey now-no name calling!
we are all friendly peoples here
and sometimes friends need to be oh so gently reminded to relax a little and do activities and jobs they like for the hell of it ;)

Haha sorry. It just seems that lately all SDN is used for is telling people their threads are stupid (some validly so). I get tired of it unless the thread is from a whiny, neurotic, uninformed human; then it is game on.

I believe this person is legitimately looking for advice, and to see the first comment be negative aggravated me. My apologies, ConfusedChemist.

Hard to say how it looks compared to being a scribe for longer, hard to say if Columbia will care you did it at Columbia. Easy to say that your life should not be controlled by how you think med schools will judge you, especially given the strength of the rest of your app.

However, scribes are a dime a dozen. This is more unique and quite a good opportunity if you have MPH in your radar. Why not do it to see if public health is even your thing? I'd say go for the non-traditional thing 10 times out of 10. You're scribing already so I don't think the two months will make that much of a difference.

Last edited:
If you plan on pursuing an MPH, apply to this program
It makes no difference if you are a scribe for 10 months or 12 months

Reactions: 1 user
Do what you want to do.
Stop thinking about what'll look good, seriously.

Reactions: 2 users
Stop thinking about what'll look good, seriously.
Because you'll always be wrong! Something right for one admissions member at one school may be completely wrong for one at another.

All I'll say is do not do the program because you think it will give you a leg up in Columbia admissions. That is not how this game of admission works

Also you should work on getting the gig first lol

Reactions: 1 user