Is this the right path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geochanger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I imagine like many of you in the nontrad forum im feeling a bit lost, unsure, and totally nervous about potentially embarking on this path so I just wanted to vent really and maybe get a bit of feedback.

About me: Im 25, and I have a degree in both Geology and Environmental Studies. I struggled a lot in college first with finding a path (it took me 2 years to pick, and even then I felt unmotivated), learning self discipline, and then with some depression issues so I definitely could have done better. In fact, these are the grades I KNOW I could have improved upon had I tried harder- College algebra, C- (tested out of this but its still on my transcript) Calc II D, Calc II C- (almost got a b but bombed the final -_-), Physics I C, Physics II C-, Chem II C-, Intermediate written french C. All of my other classes were As and Bs including all the science classes I took for geology. My overall GPA was 3.19.

But Im really wondering if im on the right path here. I graduated and started a job as a geologist in the oil field, and while I absolutely adore learning about geology its quite the niche field. I wish I knew more about my job prospects in school because I just dont feel like its the right fit. With that being said, Ive always wanted to be in the healhcare field, specifically a doctor. The thing that I really want from life, and am not getting from geology, is the feeling you get when you help someone. I want to dedicate my life to helping others. Thats the tldr version of why I want to be a doctor. Ive considered nursing school but ive done some shadowing and a lot of my friends are nurses and ive come to realize that again, its not really the right fit (although I applied to nursing school for the upcoming cycle and thats what all of my current classes are geared towards)

Currently Im enrolled in community college and took A&P I and got an A+, and retook chem II and got and A+ in the fall. Currently Im taking Microbiology, A&P II, Nutrition, and im in an EMT class so I can volunteer in my town. I plan on taking orgo, reataking physics I and II, maybe biochemistry, maybe genetics, it depends. So my first question is, does going to community college to take (and retake) classes look bad? I work very hard in these classes and I hope my grades are a reflection of that but it is community college and Im not sure about the perception.

Second, is this all a waste of my time? I have two plans already in action that I could fall back on, Ive applied to geology grad school because if I do continue on that path Id like to teach, and ive also applied to nursing school. I tell people those are my top choices in life because Im terrified to tell people I really want to be a doctor. I think at my age (even though im young) people will just scoff. But I know how much Ive grown since college, even if it took me 5 years to graduate. Ive become so much more disciplined and I have a crazy work ethic now. I truly believe I could succeed in med school, I just dont know if I can convince an admissions board given my background.

Sorry this was so long, I just wanted to get all of this out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, don't be afraid to tell people you want to be a doctor, especially at the tender young age of 25, lol.

My advice, based mostly on what has been directed toward me when I've asked some of the same questions would be:

1. Community college classes are "iffy" for your prereq's. Some MD schools will not even figure them into you sGPA.
2. Your GPA is already low for MD (and probably even DO) and your sGPA at this point likely consists only of your Physics and Chemistry is sub 2.0; a virtual death sentence
3. D.O. schools however, do grade replacement, so you would want to retake all those C's, and preferably at a 4 year so you can prove you're capable of an A in a highly rigorous environment
4. The EMT volunteering honestly won't help you much (not any more than simply volunteering at an E.R. as an unskilled helper). At this juncture your time is better spent acing courses and blowing the MCAT out of the water.
5. Backup plans are good, but it will leave some people to question how much you are really committed to the process. I started out that way too but then I realized that I was really going to apply myself to the process, I would do so in a manner that made the stakes extremely high (not having a backup plan). I think having a backup plan is OK if you have it because you are unsure if you want to be a doctor and you are spending time exploring options.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response!

I thought that might be the case with the community college. It is linked to a 4 year college (its even called -university name- college at -county-) not sure if thats a factor or not, however im willing to bet its not. I am willing to go to a 4 year if need be, but money is an issue. As far as EMT volunteering goes, I wanted to do that anyway! :D So that wasnt something I just picked up to make myself look better or something. I dont really have a timeline for this, so if it took me an extra year to get my grades up and ace the mcat thats fine, so hopefully the EMT classes wont take away any time from that.
Do you think this would even be in the cards for me if I replaced those grades? Are there MD schools that accept grade replacements? I definitely wouldnt be applying to top tier ones.

And I am absolutely committed to this idea, if I became sure that I had a shot Id drop everything to pursue this 100%. Its just the realistic side of me says I need to keep my options open since this might not happen.

If I could go back and shake some sense into my college self I would!

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, there are no MD schools that do grade replacement. As far as CC goes, well, personally I don't think its fair but sometimes we just have to deal with an imperfect system. The "do I have a shot" question can really be summed up with an counter question, which is "can I get my stats to a competitive level?" For D.O. schools, its definitely possible because you can do grade replacement for any low grades (assuming you can score A's in those courses). And if you've yet to take the MCAT, then it is entirely possible to score competitively there as well. I don't however think you can get your sGPA to be competitive for M.D. schools without adding a ton of hours, and even then it probably won't be enough. In the absence of at least one or two other really compelling factors (URM + something else like 100th percentile MCAT for example) I wouldn't hedge any bets on M.D. And tbh, that's not necessarily a bad thing, D.O.'s can do anything an M.D. can so there is no career limitation involved with being a D.O. student.

Just reading this out of curiosity since I too don't have a very good sGPA. One question came to mind - would an MD school accept a high sGPA from a non-trad that was more than 10 years out of school? It just seems a bit odd that someone with the motivation to go back and re-take their science courses at a CC that might cater to their work schedule would be viewed as having a less rigorous preparation than someone at a 4-year school. Anyhow, I know in Arizona the Univ. of Arizona medical school accepts CC courses for prereqs. One of the academic counselors told me it is more about the prospective student's ability to maintain a high GPA while taking a high course load of science courses.

Either way - good luck on attaining your goals. Don't give up of your own volition.

Regards,
Joel

Well, in the case of a school that does accept CC courses, then its really a matter of, as long as you are getting all A's, you are probably fine. Really it's probably even better to get all A's at a CC than to get all B's at a 4 year. The CC really only comes into play I think when you are looking at "equal" applicants. For example, a 4.0 in your prereq's at a CC will not be viewed the same as a 4.0 in an equal applicant who took those courses at a 4 year. It might be unfair, and perhaps even unjustified (there are certainly hard CC courses and easy 4 year courses) but it does seem to be the standard, and that standard is the measure you are gunning for. It's a highly competitive process and so anything that provides an advantage should be considered by a prospective applicant. CC won't make or break you certainly. Personally I plan on taking at least a couple of non-science courses there myself, but I'm shelling out the extra money for a 4 year because I know there are advantages to it.

You are NOT wasting your time. I'm 28 and just finished 4 years of rebuilding a profile much worse than yours (10+ F's and lots of C's and D's). I got into a DO school and have two interviews with MD schools in the next month. Albeit in-state but the point stands.

Keep taking classes and DOMINATING them like you are. Take three months or so to prepare for the MCAT and DOMINATE it. If you can, take a job in primary care and DOMINATE it.

IF that doesn't work out, like it didn't with my first year of repairing my profile, take another year to DOMINATE your profile. If you keep DOMINATING your tasks in life, you will be in med school within 1-3 years. Its a 50 year career we're talking about. Don't be too shortsighted.

You won't have a lot of fun but you will be chasing your dream, and to me that was worth every second of suffering.

Reactions: 2 users