Is this weird to mention in essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DOCOC15

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For secondary apps there are various questions about identity, background, and getting along with others who are different from me.

I'm a East coast Jew, and in college my closest friend was a fundamentalist black Christian from the deep South. Is it weird to mention that in an essay? I feel uncomfortable bringing it up since I think it sounds like tokenism, but on the other hand, I truly did branch out it college and make friends with people who are very different from me, which is a quality med schools seem to be looking for.

I'm not looking to write a full essay about this friendship, rather it would just be a single sentence example in larger essays on my background and how I treat others.

Thanks
 
It always depends on how well written the essay is. If the experience with your friend fits into the narrative in a coherent way, then that should be fine. If the single sentence makes the friendship stick out like a sore thumb, then I'd leave it out.
 
For secondary apps there are various questions about identity, background, and getting along with others who are different from me.

I'm a East coast Jew, and in college my closest friend was a fundamentalist black Christian from the deep South. Is it weird to mention that in an essay? I feel uncomfortable bringing it up since I think it sounds like tokenism, but on the other hand, I truly did branch out it college and make friends with people who are very different from me, which is a quality med schools seem to be looking for.

I'm not looking to write a full essay about this friendship, rather it would just be a single sentence example in larger essays on my background and how I treat others.

Thanks
Fair game
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For secondary apps there are various questions about identity, background, and getting along with others who are different from me.

I'm a East coast Jew, and in college my closest friend was a fundamentalist black Christian from the deep South. Is it weird to mention that in an essay? I feel uncomfortable bringing it up since I think it sounds like tokenism, but on the other hand, I truly did branch out it college and make friends with people who are very different from me, which is a quality med schools seem to be looking for.

I'm not looking to write a full essay about this friendship, rather it would just be a single sentence example in larger essays on my background and how I treat others.

Thanks
The devil is in the details. Your example could work beautifully, but it's hard to say if it actually does work without seeing the essay.