Is this weird to mention in essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCOC15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For secondary apps there are various questions about identity, background, and getting along with others who are different from me.

I'm a East coast Jew, and in college my closest friend was a fundamentalist black Christian from the deep South. Is it weird to mention that in an essay? I feel uncomfortable bringing it up since I think it sounds like tokenism, but on the other hand, I truly did branch out it college and make friends with people who are very different from me, which is a quality med schools seem to be looking for.

I'm not looking to write a full essay about this friendship, rather it would just be a single sentence example in larger essays on my background and how I treat others.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It always depends on how well written the essay is. If the experience with your friend fits into the narrative in a coherent way, then that should be fine. If the single sentence makes the friendship stick out like a sore thumb, then I'd leave it out.

Reactions: 1 user
For secondary apps there are various questions about identity, background, and getting along with others who are different from me.

I'm a East coast Jew, and in college my closest friend was a fundamentalist black Christian from the deep South. Is it weird to mention that in an essay? I feel uncomfortable bringing it up since I think it sounds like tokenism, but on the other hand, I truly did branch out it college and make friends with people who are very different from me, which is a quality med schools seem to be looking for.

I'm not looking to write a full essay about this friendship, rather it would just be a single sentence example in larger essays on my background and how I treat others.

Thanks
Fair game

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools ask you to describe a time when you learned something from someone who was different from you. This would fit that prompt very well.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks
The devil is in the details. Your example could work beautifully, but it's hard to say if it actually does work without seeing the essay.

Reactions: 1 user