Is this worth an update to schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

prairiemusic

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After I submitted my AMCAS, I finished a class this summer and got an A. This A brings my sGPA from like 2.98 to 3.05, which is right around my cGPA. So far I've only been pre-II rejected by three state schools, which all said something to the effect of "your application wasn't competitive enough to be out of state." The other schools I applied to either don't screen for secondaries or I made it through somehow except for one super reach lol, don't have high hopes for that one but I haven't heard anything from them so I don't know about getting screened out. Anyways.

Is this worth a whole update letter? My gap year activities were all in my primary so I don't really have anything to update or change with regards to that. I'm mostly thinking it isn't significant enough (finishing one class? really?) but I also think getting up above that 3.0 mark might be helpful. Also, do I really need to write out a letter addressing the adcoms for each school or can I just write a generic one? Thank you friends.
 
After I submitted my AMCAS, I finished a class this summer and got an A. This A brings my sGPA from like 2.98 to 3.05, which is right around my cGPA. So far I've only been pre-II rejected by three state schools, which all said something to the effect of "your application wasn't competitive enough to be out of state." The other schools I applied to either don't screen for secondaries or I made it through somehow except for one super reach lol, don't have high hopes for that one but I haven't heard anything from them so I don't know about getting screened out. Anyways.

Is this worth a whole update letter? My gap year activities were all in my primary so I don't really have anything to update or change with regards to that. I'm mostly thinking it isn't significant enough (finishing one class? really?) but I also think getting up above that 3.0 mark might be helpful. Also, do I really need to write out a letter addressing the adcoms for each school or can I just write a generic one? Thank you friends.

Getting above a 3.0 would only be helpful for autoscreens, and since you already have 23 secondaries I think you have your hands full. I dug back and saw your MCAT. At this point a given school will either be interested or not.

For schools that allow direct updates through their respective portals, you could simply upload a copy of your unofficial transcript with the extra A. That would be relatively subtle.
 
Getting above a 3.0 would only be helpful for autoscreens, and since you already have 23 secondaries I think you have your hands full. I dug back and saw your MCAT. At this point a given school will either be interested or not.

For schools that allow direct updates through their respective portals, you could simply upload a copy of your unofficial transcript with the extra A. That would be relatively subtle.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you!
 
After I submitted my AMCAS, I finished a class this summer and got an A. This A brings my sGPA from like 2.98 to 3.05, which is right around my cGPA. So far I've only been pre-II rejected by three state schools, which all said something to the effect of "your application wasn't competitive enough to be out of state." The other schools I applied to either don't screen for secondaries or I made it through somehow except for one super reach lol, don't have high hopes for that one but I haven't heard anything from them so I don't know about getting screened out. Anyways.

Is this worth a whole update letter? My gap year activities were all in my primary so I don't really have anything to update or change with regards to that. I'm mostly thinking it isn't significant enough (finishing one class? really?) but I also think getting up above that 3.0 mark might be helpful. Also, do I really need to write out a letter addressing the adcoms for each school or can I just write a generic one? Thank you friends.
AMCAS schools are not going to recalculate your application GPAs when you get new grades and report them.