Is this worthy of an update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okazaki Frag Grenade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I recently had a first-author paper be accepted for publication. However, we are in the process of gathering the funds to pay the (rather large) publication fee for this journal. So at the moment, the manuscript is not 100% published, but has been accepted and is just waiting on us getting the money. Also, I love my PI, but he is crazy busy and a bit slow on communications, so I don't know exactly how long it will take him to gather the funds.

Would this be worthy of an update? I'm post-interview at several schools that I really like and would love to be able to let them know about this, but also don't want to send it in if this is not a significant advance to my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Just my .02 as a lowly premed but I would definitely submit this update! A first author pub is a big deal and the point is that your paper got accepted! Schools don't really need to know that you're still sorting out the financial issues... I would send it and just write in the citation that the paper has been accepted. I think this is fairly common -- I submitted a few updates about papers that had been accepted but didn't have exact publication dates yet.

Congrats!

Just my .02 as a lowly premed but I would definitely submit this update! A first author pub is a big deal and the point is that your paper got accepted! Schools don't really need to know that you're still sorting out the financial issues... I would send it and just write in the citation that the paper has been accepted. I think this is fairly common -- I submitted a few updates about papers that had been accepted but didn't have exact publication dates yet.

Congrats!

Thanks! It's been a long process so it feels nice to finally be done. I was leaning towards what your talking about, so I'm glad we agree lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! And definitely a worthy update as "accepted for publication in journal X".

It never hurts to say, "I have some good news to share: ___. I was grateful for the opportunity to interview in [month] and I hope to be chosen to matriculate in 2016. Best wishes for the new year!"

Shameless bump here for some possible adcom input ... @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM

No worries, selling your soul and feeling no shame are crucial reqs to get that coveted US MD acceptance :laugh:

Congrats on the 1st author, OP

1345316630678_593747.png

For those schools that accept updates, this is worthy of an update.

And congrats!

Hi everyone,

So I recently had a first-author paper be accepted for publication. However, we are in the process of gathering the funds to pay the (rather large) publication fee for this journal. So at the moment, the manuscript is not 100% published, but has been accepted and is just waiting on us getting the money. Also, I love my PI, but he is crazy busy and a bit slow on communications, so I don't know exactly how long it will take him to gather the funds.

Would this be worthy of an update? I'm post-interview at several schools that I really like and would love to be able to let them know about this, but also don't want to send it in if this is not a significant advance to my application.