• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

tanwe461

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Hi all! This might sound like a stupid question, but we have like tooth whitening solutions that you can apply directly to teeth...like gel or something like that...are these harmful to the enamel?

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
Originally posted by tanwe461
Hi all! This might sound like a stupid question, but we have like tooth whitening solutions that you can apply directly to teeth...like gel or something like that...are these harmful to the enamel?
Nope. They just leach into spaces in the enamel structure and oxidize the materials causing the staining. No need to worry. :D

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Bill is correct, of course.

Although, there are some substances that people commonly apply to their teeth that DO whiten the teeth but also DO damage the enamel.

Tooth whitening solutions that are labeled as such are safe. The items I'm referring to are typical home-remedy type substances (lemon juice, etc.).

About the Ads

tanwe461

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
thanks guys for the reply. i am not sure whether this product is available in the US, but Colgate just had this whitening solution where you literally paint on the tooth. a lot of patients asked me the credibility of it, and i think it's not that bad if it's by Colgate. but just wanted to check with you guys.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
Originally posted by tanwe461
thanks guys for the reply. i am not sure whether this product is available in the US, but Colgate just had this whitening solution where you literally paint on the tooth. a lot of patients asked me the credibility of it, and i think it's not that bad if it's by Colgate. but just wanted to check with you guys.
The Colgate liquid whitener actually has a tendency to rinse off in saliva before it can exert much whitening effect. I can't pull up the literature reference, but you might try looking. Whitening strips seem to be the best home whitening option currently available.

trypmo

Arch Fiend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2004
Texas
Status
Paint-on whiteners might be especially convenient for ppl with not all teeth uniformly discolored, though.

Do ppl really apply lemon juice to whiten teeth? Yowza!!! :wow: That ain't good!

About the Ads