Is UAB A Good School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BNSN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, is the University of Alabama at Birmingham a "good" medical school in terms of research?

Is it an elite research school, or merely a good one?

I am wondering because I am interested in an academic, not clinical, medical career, and I know university prestige is important in academia.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In your opnion, is the University of Alabama at Birmingham a "good" medical school in terms of research?

I am wondering because I am interested in an academic, not clinical, medical career, and I know university prestige is important in academia.

Thanks.

22nd in the nation according to 2007 US N&WR in research, so you can decide if that's elite.

Members don't see this ad :)
UAB puts out some top-notch research. Excellent school. :thumbup: I assume you're in-state since you're applying there. You're lucky: great school with low in-state tuition. If you go there and rock your boards (which you'll need to do anywhere) you can go to any residency you want.

UAB puts out some top-notch research. Excellent school. :thumbup: I assume you're in-state since you're applying there. You're lucky: great school with low in-state tuition. If you go there and rock your boards (which you'll need to do anywhere) you can go to any residency you want.
Yup, I'm instate.

I will be applying there in about 1.5 years -- I'm basically half-way done with my degree.

Thanks for the advice :)

UAB can hold its own. Therefore, it is a good school in my eyes.

:thumbup:

decent school!! definitely going to put my app in there because it's a bargain in-state

In your opinion, is the University of Alabama at Birmingham a "good" medical school in terms of research?

Thanks.
If you're an Alabamian, you should definitely apply to UAB. It's an excellent bargain and a strong research school with a great hospital too.

I'll go ahead and say it since MWillie hasn't found this thread yet,

"UAB is good if you want to be a TTT doc, now, let me tell you something about WashU..."

In state should definitely apply. People in medicine, especially academic medicine know it's a great school.
Xypathos stop polluting SDN with your senseless crap.

In state should definitely apply. People in medicine, especially academic medicine know it's a great school.
Xypathos stop polluting SDN with your senseless crap.

So says the man with over 600 posts, and 580+ of them are how anyone that doesn't go to WashU will be a poor doctor for it.

So says the man with over 600 posts, and 580+ of them are how anyone that doesn't go to WashU will be a poor doctor for it.

When did it become cool on SDN to personally attack people because they hold different opinions than you?

You need to grow up Xypathos along with alot of other SDNers who don't know how to take a difference of opinion constructively.

Someone says a "***" in a thread and it gets closed, but posts that are particularly aimed at harrassing individuals is tolerated. Mods you cannot pick and choose when to enforce your rules.

When did it become cool on SDN to personally attack people because they hold different opinions than you?

You need to grow up Xypathos along with alot of other SDNers who don't know how to take a difference of opinion constructively.

Someone says a "***" in a thread and it gets closed, but posts that are particularly aimed at harrassing individuals is tolerated. Mods you cannot pick and choose when to enforce your rules.

God have mercy lol...

I guess you've never been in the "Everyone" forum...

:laugh: Do not question the mods... The mods giveth and the mods taketh away.

Maybe your time would be better spent studying than hijacking threads.

It's a very great school. We Georgians are jealous.

Thanks.

You do not have to go to a prestigous school to have an academic career. The chief of Trauma Surgery at Johns Hopkins is a graduate of Howard University College of Medicine (constantly ranked below 100). It's not where you go to medical school but how you perform.

If you can get into UAB, that's great but UAB like Howard and any other medical school, can launch an academic career provided you perform well while in medical school. Medical school grades greatly outweigh US News and World Report Rankings. Edward Cornwell, III M.D. is a very good example of how doing well in medical school, can get you where you want to go.

Last edited: