Is UK open to non-EU citizen/EU grads now?

Started by shreypete
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shreypete

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Recently, my aunt (a residency board director/surgeon/recruiter in London) told me not to give up on UK in considering a residency because apparently the residency path is open again to EU grads who are non-EU citizens? Is this true?

I'm a non-EU citizen but a soon to be EU medical grad and I'm wondering if I should consider applying to UK after I'm done with med school.

Thanks a lot and I really appreciate any replies as to this new law.
 
I do not know about this, but will try to get some infos from collegues there.

I am intersted in this as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL. We're having a seminar on of the docs who graduated from my university, currently working there. If I'm going, I'll find out more about this.
 
So I’ve been looking into opportunities to do post-graduate studies in the UK recently and here’s what I found out:
· First, if we have done medical school outside of the EU, we would have to pre-register with the General Medical Council, this is done by taking clinical skills test (PLAB) and perhaps English language tests (http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/plab.asp).
· We would then obtain a tier 4 visa and do 2 years of Foundation Programme, this is equivalent to the internship in Ireland. Unlike in Ireland, all eligible applicants are considered equally regardless of their country of citizenship or the country in which they studied (http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/medical-students/faqs).
· After Foundation Programme, foreign students would switch to a Tier1 visa for highly skilled workers and finish off their residency/post-grad, again competing equally for positions with british students and british citizens.
.This is what I have gathered from calling the British agencies and doing some online research. If I misunderstood something or am not providing a complete picture please let me know. I’ll also stress that everyone I have spoken to says that the accessibility to foundation, residency positions, and visas for foreigners is constantly changing and is likely to be different in a couple of years. The other thing I was not able to find out is whether foreign doctors that have completed training (ie residency/post-grad) in the UK are able to remain and work in the UK via the Tier1 or applying for permanent residency, or whether these doctors are required to return to their respective countries after their training..
 
Yes it is true.

However, the number of specialist training positions are being cut. (Those after the first two years of the Foundation Program.)

NHS training positions ultimately lead to that of "Consultant". Consultant positions are being cut, vacancies not filled with Consultants.

The emphasis is shifting towards many more service-provision jobs and fewer training positions.
 
do you guys know specifically what specialities are being cut? also, i heard training in the UK can be long (>10 years) with corresponding crappy pay (40-60 k pounds). So why do people want to train in the UK?
 
do you guys know specifically what specialities are being cut? also, i heard training in the UK can be long (>10 years) with corresponding crappy pay (40-60 k pounds). So why do people want to train in the UK?

Everything is always being cut, it sucks, go to America!
 
Yes, I think we should all try to go to America lol.

I for one will look into training in the UK in case I don't get into the US.
 
Yes, I think we should all try to go to America lol.

I for one will look into training in the UK in case I don't get into the US.

Other than for general practice it's probably easier to get a job in the US, even as an IMG, not necessarily the job you want though.
 
Can anyone give me more info on average salaries in Ireland for training positions after internship ?

I've read somewhere that 5-6k Euros after taxes was possible in Ireland for house officcers 2-3 years post graduation. I'd consider this to be excellent ! Even when you take the higher cost of living in Ireland into consideration, young doctors in Ireland would earn more than most consultants on the continent !

I don't really want to live in Ireland forever, but working there for a year as part of my residency/training would be a good way of paying back my loans.