You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
IS versus anywhere
Started by somebun
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Me!! I have chosen VMCVM over UGA. BUT I’m using the GI Bill to pay for vet school so it made out of pocket cost basically the same. As much as it would’ve broken my heart, I wouldn’t have been able to justify the $30k/year difference in tuition had I been paying entirely out of pocket.
What schools are you considering? There are student loan payment calculators online that you can play around with to get an idea of what the difference in tuition will look like if you go OOS vs IS. If the difference is minimal, go to your preferred school. If not, a DVM is a DVM and your future self will thank your present self for being smart. After all, it’s only 4 years and it will be over in a flash!
What schools are you considering? There are student loan payment calculators online that you can play around with to get an idea of what the difference in tuition will look like if you go OOS vs IS. If the difference is minimal, go to your preferred school. If not, a DVM is a DVM and your future self will thank your present self for being smart. After all, it’s only 4 years and it will be over in a flash!
I did. I didn't even apply to my instate. I was in a unique situation though because my instate was Penn, so it was cheaper for me to go out of state. I saved myself $60,000 going to UF compared to what it would cost me to go to Penn.
Thanks. There’s a bit of personal specifics in my choice but essentially I’m in a position where my OOS sets me up a lot better for a career and my overall payments for both would be the same despite the difference in tuitionMe!! I have chosen VMCVM over UGA. BUT I’m using the GI Bill to pay for vet school so it made out of pocket cost basically the same. As much as it would’ve broken my heart, I wouldn’t have been able to justify the $30k/year difference in tuition had I been paying entirely out of pocket.
What schools are you considering? There are student loan payment calculators online that you can play around with to get an idea of what the difference in tuition will look like if you go OOS vs IS. If the difference is minimal, go to your preferred school. If not, a DVM is a DVM and your future self will thank your present self for being smart. After all, it’s only 4 years and it will be over in a flash!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What’s the hesitation if your overall payments would be the same for both?Thanks. There’s a bit of personal specifics in my choice but essentially I’m in a position where my OOS sets me up a lot better for a career and my overall payments for both would be the same despite the difference in tuition
Because one involves a significantly higher loan. I might ultimately pay the same for both, according to financial advice, but still taking out more than I need doesn’t seem responsibleWhat’s the hesitation if your overall payments would be the same for both?
Thanks. There’s a bit of personal specifics in my choice but essentially I’m in a position where my OOS sets me up a lot better for a career and my overall payments for both would be the same despite the difference in tuition
Because one involves a significantly higher loan. I might ultimately pay the same for both, according to financial advice, but still taking out more than I need doesn’t seem responsible
I don't understand why your payments for both would be the same if you take a higher loan out at one?
Regardless, if you're looking for advice specific to your situation it's hard to provide that without the details that are driving your indecision. Why do you think the OOS school would set you up better for a career? What is the price difference? Why is the loan higher at one if the overall payments are the same?
I appreciate that you are trying to help but I asked for people to reach out specifically because I’m looking to discuss with someone in a similar situation.I don't understand why your payments for both would be the same if you take a higher loan out at one?
Regardless, if you're looking for advice specific to your situation it's hard to provide that without the details that are driving your indecision. Why do you think the OOS school would set you up better for a career? What is the price difference? Why is the loan higher at one if the overall payments are the same?
The OOS has a program that has more available and would let me make a lot more connections and experience in the specialty I want to go for. This is based on a lot of discussion with people at both schools and in the field.
Payments are the same because IBR has a cap. After a certain point your payment doesn’t increase and I’d hit that point for both schools. I’m aiming for PSLF so I wouldn’t even be hit with the tax difference at the end. Even if I was, the overall difference is less than 20K
I appreciate that you are trying to help but I asked for people to reach out specifically because I’m looking to discuss with someone in a similar situation.
The OOS has a program that has more available and would let me make a lot more connections and experience in the specialty I want to go for. This is based on a lot of discussion with people at both schools and in the field.
Payments are the same because IBR has a cap. After a certain point your payment doesn’t increase and I’d hit that point for both schools. I’m aiming for PSLF so I wouldn’t even be hit with the tax difference at the end. Even if I was, the overall difference is less than 20K
Okay. It sounds to me like you already made up your mind and are just looking for validation. I'm not sure what the value of selectively seeking people who chose a more expensive school (and aren't even in repayment yet so are not even feeling the impacts of their decision) is. But if you don't care for any other input on your situation then that's your prerogative.
Do NOT bank on PSLF. Go to the cheaper option. You will get a great education at either school and can do externships and summer stuff to get more experience in your field.
I haven’t made up my mind. However I have heard a lot from one side of the argument and want to hear from the other, tooOkay. It sounds to me like you already made up your mind and are just looking for validation. I'm not sure what the value of selectively seeking people who chose a more expensive school (and aren't even in repayment yet so are not even feeling the impacts of their decision) is. But if you don't care for any other input on your situation then that's your prerogative.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 11
- Views
- 2K