Is volunteering as a sidewalker a good experience for my veterinary school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmss011223344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
FYI
A sidewalker is a volunteer who assists the instructor during lessons and is responsible for the rider and

rider only. You will be working up close and personal with our riders and helping them reach their goals
throughout each of our riding sessions.
This would be for therapeutic riding lessons.

Members don't see this ad.

I did something similar the summer that I applied to vet school. Helping out with therapeutic horseriding absolutely counts as animal experience. Just make sure that you seek out veterinary experience, as well! :thumbup:

I would say it would be a good volunteer/animal experience to add. It will also add some uniqueness to your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not trying to be mean, but why don't you listen when people on the forum tell you to not make new threads for every question? You don't need to be shy, just add on to an existing thread. These can be searched for. Many of your questions have been asked multiple times in the past.

Reactions: 4 users
Im not trying to be mean, but why don't you listen when people on the forum tell you to not make new threads for every question? You don't need to be shy, just add on to an existing thread. These can be searched for. Many of your questions have been asked multiple times in the past.
I kind of noticed that too. There is a search function that you can use in the future to look up some topics pertaining to your question.

Yes, if it's something you want to do definitely go for it! Every animal experience is worthwhile addition to your application, especially those that are volunteering/also help the community. I volunteered at almost every opportunity I could get my hands on and loved it, and my wildlife/exotics experiences in particular have opened doors for me as part of my resume. (however, don't forget to pursue veterinary experience as well! This is now my problem--tons of varied animal experiences but fewer that count as veterinary).

I hope you're not also thinking the same for my posts.. I try to search before starting a new thread, but sometimes it doesn't pull anything up...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I hope you're not also thinking the same for my posts.. I try to search before starting a new thread, but sometimes it doesn't pull anything up...

I haven't been on this thread as long as others, but I haven't seen any questions that you have asked before specifically. Except maybe the ochem one :)

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah. Honestly, I am sorry about that I am very new to forums and when I search for my questions nothing specific to the answer I'm looking for pops up. I will definitely work harder on that though.

Everybody else, thank you for the good advice!

Yeah. Honestly, I am sorry about that I am very new to forums and when I search for my questions nothing specific to the answer I'm looking for pops up. I will definitely work harder on that though.

Everybody else, thank you for the good advice!

Try using keywords instead of putting in your entire question. Odds are someone didn't phrase things exactly the way you did, so you're not going to find your question word for word. Example keywords for this post: volunteering, horse experience, therapeutic riding. It also may help to start with checking the search titles only box first so you don't get every time someone has said horse on this forum. If you find you don't get enough results, then uncheck the box and try again.

Reactions: 1 user
Try using keywords instead of putting in your entire question. Odds are someone didn't phrase things exactly the way you did, so you're not going to find your question word for word. Example keywords for this post: volunteering, horse experience, therapeutic riding. It also may help to start with checking the search titles only box first so you don't get every time someone has said horse on this forum. If you find you don't get enough results, then uncheck the box and try again.

Googling skills are so so important as a veterinarian. That's something that all gunner prevets can work on that will pay off with great dividends later on.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Googling skills are so so important as a veterinarian. That's something that all gunner prevets can work on that will pay off with great dividends later on.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Define googling skills...
Like I've harnessed the skills to quickly find accurate ochem answers online, but that's probably not the skill you're referring to.

Reactions: 2 users
Becoming an experienced Googler has helped me tremendously in grad school ;)

If not for the animal experience, do it for the riders and your own personal experience! Assisting with therapeutic riding lessons is an amazing experience for everyone involved. When I lived close enough to volunteer at a therapeutic riding center, it was the highlight of my week. There are 1,001 reasons why you should volunteer at a therapeutic riding center, but if we're talking about specific skills for an application I think it shows: patience, persistence, empathy, compassion, communication skills, responsibility, an ability to give constructive criticism kindly, etc. in addition to the fact that you were also working with horses.

Like I said before, if you don't do it for the animal experience do it for yourself and the riders involved!

Last edited: