Is Your School Crazy About Football?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know like every football lover in the entire world will probably want to flame this but... here goes.

I really hate football and find it to be one of the most uncultured and disinteresting sports out there, and OH guess what? I go to U. of Oklahoma CoM where all anyone talks about is football. To me these are the most uncomfortable conversations in the entire world b/c I then get to listen to a day long banter of random players names, stats, plays, and other football miscellania. It's just so annoying when all anyone feels like talking about stuff outside of med, it always turns to football. When ever I hear about "THE" game I find that I want to drown myself in cadaver juice to spare myself the agony.

I'm really curious to know if anyone else feels this way or if I'm just some freakish alien child that was abandoned on earth some how. I've also been wondering if it's just because I'm in Oklahoma, and if somewhere else in the US people venerate less of a douchebag sport out there?

Anyway, if you do love football and hate me now, I'm sorry to offend, but I really needed to get this off my chest. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Napoleon1801 said:
I know like every football lover in the entire world will probably want to flame this but... here goes.

I really hate football and find it to be one of the most uncultured and disinteresting sports out there, and OH guess what? I go to U. of Oklahoma CoM where all anyone talks about is football. To me these are the most uncomfortable conversations in the entire world b/c I then get to listen to a day long banter of random players names, stats, plays, and other football miscellania. It's just so annoying when all anyone feels like talking about stuff outside of med, it always turns to football. When ever I hear about "THE" game I find that I want to drown myself in cadaver juice to spare myself the agony.

I'm really curious to know if anyone else feels this way or if I'm just some freakish alien child that was abandoned on earth some how. I've also been wondering if it's just because I'm in Oklahoma, and if somewhere else in the US people venerate less of a douchebag sport out there?

Anyway, if you do love football and hate me now, I'm sorry to offend, but I really needed to get this off my chest. :oops:
let me guess, you were always picked last in PE? you don't know a field goal from a fumble yet you can sit and memorize every intricate detail about li fraumeni syndrome? your albino-like complexion reflects your lifelong dedication to inactivity?

maybe some people actually enjoy supporting their school and having spirit. maybe some people admire the dedication and talent of young college athletes. whatever the reason is, you sound very bitter and socially unsound. here's a solution. whenever they talk about football, just close your eyes and think of the neuro pathways. oh and remember to remind yourself that you are better than they because only losers watch such a douchebag sport.

My school has a big local population and so yeah, the football stuff is way big. Also, we have local football rivalries and people get all excited about the players and whatever. It's like a foreign language to me and I just tune it out, or think of it as background noise. It's pretty wholesome and decent fun I guess so I sort of admire people who can get all caught up in this stuff. To each his or her own, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Napoleon1801 said:

:laugh: I know EXACTLY how you feel and I think I have it even worse than you do. I go to USC -- enough said. Football is a religion here. Professors even manage to put football into their lectures. It does get annoying for us football unenthusiasts, but I have learned to tune it out. I come from an undergrad where we didn;t even have a football team and sports was the last thing anyone talked about, so it was kind of weird to adjust. People will take days off school just to follow the team to different games and many of the social activities are tailgate parties. The funny thing I noticed is that most people who show up to these things aren't even that much into football--they just pretend they are to feel like they're fitting in. I don't really care all that much -- just pursue my own interests. But it does get annoying to see everyone's jaw drop when I admit I don't know who won last night. Who cares? I don't impose my interests on anyone else and I'm not about to get into football just because I go to a football freakazoid school.

typeB-md said:
let me guess, you were always picked last in PE? you don't know a field goal from a fumble yet you can sit and memorize every intricate detail about li fraumeni syndrome? your albino-like complexion reflects your lifelong dedication to inactivity?

maybe some people actually enjoy supporting their school and having spirit. maybe some people admire the dedication and talent of young college athletes. whatever the reason is, you sound very bitter and socially unsound. here's a solution. whenever they talk about football, just close your eyes and think of the neuro pathways. oh and remember to remind yourself that you are better than they because only losers watch such a douchebag sport.

um, excuse my suggesting such a preposterous idea but you do not have to be an avid football fan to be a normal decent and interesting human being; not being interested in football does not warrant insults and does not make someone "socially unsound"

yellowcat322 said:
um, excuse my suggesting such a preposterous idea but you do not have to be an avid football fan to be a normal decent and interesting human being; not being interested in football does not warrant insults and does not make someone "socially unsound"
you are correct. but most likely both of you are unatheltic and pasty-white individuals whose bodies have never seen a good day's physical work. i'm not knocking you, it's just different strokes.

As a fellow OU COM student, I am not at all offended at your distaste for football. I do, however, think it lacks class to lump your colleagues in the same sentence as douchebag. That is a real douchebag thing to do and thats probably why no one includes you in their conversations.

i apologize for the double post, please disregard this message.

My school? Try my entire STATE! It's awesome! No better time of the year than Husker Football Season...well...except for these last couple of years...(.but we won't talk about that....)

You don't have to love football; football will still love you.

logosumcanes5kh.gif

Arsenic810 said:
come to miami :D :laugh:
Miami is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. How are the 'Canes doing this year, A-man? I'm interested from an investor's perspective. :smuggrin: Now if I could get some Panthers tickets, that would be awesome. :idea: It's really cool that Miami (the city!) has its own hockey team. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Napoleon1801 said:

Hmm. I'm not really sure how to respond to this :cool:

It's not necessarily about *football* per se, it's all about the school spirit, baby! You should get some.. because unless you're a 4th year, you're gonna be stuck at your school for a while ;)

P.S. I go to a med school in PA that doesn't have a football team, and all anyone talks about is Penn State football! It's great! :D

QofQuimica said:
Miami is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. How are the 'Canes doing this year, A-man? I'm interested from an investor's perspective. :smuggrin: Now if I could get some Panthers tickets, that would be awesome. :idea: It's really cool that Miami (the city!) has its own hockey team. :thumbup:

The Canes lost Saturday to Georgia Tech. Once again we will be relegated to a second tier bowl game. Looks like no rematch with FSU for us. :(

If you want Panther tickets, you should have no problem getting them. They are practically giving them away this season. I can't think of a more out of place team than the Florida Panthers. Hockey in South Florida? It still boggles my mind :)

The Bruins have to be the worst 9-1 team ever ... but they're still 9-1. :D I love football.

Napoleon1801 said:

YAY!!!! :clap: :clap: Me too!!! Its so nice to hear my exact sentiments spouted off by someone else (except "douchebag, sorry"! You are not alone, Michigan is right there with Oklahoma. To me football is like some primitive warrior instinct- "Oo oo ugh ugh- our tribe is going to get your tribe- we are the best! Ugh ugh!" Football, basketball, baseball and beer-its all Americans live for, I swear.

Whenever someone asks me about "the game" I usually respond by going "what game? Football or basketball?"

It was like that at every medical school interview I had-when they tried to break the ice they would ALWAYS ask me about a team from my home state-like I cared or even knew...
A common unifying bond across our nation seems to be sports. Equally pathetic are referrals to popular movies and TV shows-but at least I can hang with that.

yposhelley said:
Football, basketball, baseball and beer-its all Americans live for, I swear.............

A common unifying bond across our nation seems to be sports. Equally pathetic are referrals to popular movies and TV shows-but at least I can hang with that.

.........communist (her avatar confirms this).

Ohio State was one of my top choices last year for no other reason than the football team.

They didn't even interview me :(.

Nah you're not alone, I think most professional sports are a waste of valuable time. What purpose does it serve to memorize plays, stats, players, teams, etc. ? I never saw the appeal, I guess like religion people just need some crap to follow. Playing sports is fun, and it can be fun to root for a team friends are on and what not, but I never saw the appeal of pro sports.

Alexander Pink said:
Nah you're not alone, I think most professional sports are a waste of valuable time. What purpose does it serve to memorize plays, stats, players, teams, etc. ? I never saw the appeal, I guess like religion people just need some crap to follow. Playing sports is fun, and it can be fun to root for a team friends are on and what not, but I never saw the appeal of pro sports.

I agree with you about PRO sports... pro football is fun to watch but not as much fun to be passionate about. It's too much of a business...less about being spirited...

But I thought we were talking about college sports here...there is a huge difference in my mind. The loyalty of the fan base for college sports is totally different. I may live in Philly (or wherever) for a few years, and yeah, it's cool to be an Eagles fan while I'm here (uhh..well maybe last year it was..haha) but I will be a Penn State alum forever, so that will be *my* team forever.

yposhelley said:
It was like that at every medical school interview I had-when they tried to break the ice they would ALWAYS ask me about a team from my home state-like I cared or even knew...
hahaha! I interviewed at several "Big 10" schools before I even realized what that was, I thought the interviewers were talking about the top 10 research schools or something! :laugh: I actually chose my undergrad school partly BECAUSE it didn't have a football team!

Guns Up Raders..... Go TTU :smuggrin:

Your an ignorant loser, who is most likley unathletic and was picked on by the athletes in school so you do nothing but study and assert superiority over those who play such a primitive sport, all the players are stupid neanderthals anyway.

Maybe, you should think about how much work goes into to, what people get to watch every saturday. It a friggin full time job and contray to popular belief the game is just as much mental as it is physical. what u probally cant deal with is the fact that every weekend 60,000-100,000 people care greatly about them. When all you can do is sit around and get a 4.0 GPA all the time and no one will ever care and that some of those "stupid" guys will make more money in a week than you will in a year.

Napoleon1801 said:

jackets5 said:
Maybe, you should think about how much work goes into to, what people get to watch every saturday. It a friggin full time job and contray to popular belief the game is just as much mental as it is physical. what u probally cant deal with is the fact that every weekend 60,000-100,000 people care greatly about them. When all you can do is sit around and get a 4.0 GPA all the time and no one will ever care and that some of those "stupid" guys will make more money in a week than you will in a year.
This is a perfect example of how misplaced our priorities are as a society. :rolleyes: Has it ever occurred to you that these people contribute relatively little to society, and in return, we pay them ridiculous sums of money? Pro football players are grown men who get paid big bucks to play a GAME, and in the whole scheme of things, who gives a flying rip about anything they do for their so-called "job"? It's only a GAME. And then some of them even have the NERVE to complain about their lot in life or act out in other ridiculous ways if things aren't exactly to their liking. They should be grateful that they don't have to work a real 9-5 job like 95% of their working-class fan base does. On the whole, pro athletes disgust me. :thumbdown:

College athletes are a different story. It seems to me that many of them are actually more on the exploited side, not the "advantaged." The university makes money off them and basically owns them while they're in school. They have a difficult time taking classes outside the normal "jock" coursework b/c it interferes with their game schedule. Some of them shouldn't be in college at all (or at least they shouldn't be taking chemistry courses) without some serious remediation first. And since most of them will never make it to the pros (or if they do, they won't be superstars), their financial prospects are relatively limited if they don't get a degree in something besides "P.E." On the other hand, without an athletic scholarship, some of these kids would never have gone to college at all. I have mixed feelings about athletic scholarships for this reason.

QofQuimica said:
This is a perfect example of how misplaced our priorities are as a society. :rolleyes:
People tend to admire those with extraordinary skills. Athletes have always been revered. How do you feel about Art/Music/Dance. Does it have a place in society?

I also take issue with how some athletes conduct themselves, but the fans dictate what they can get away with.

thackl said:
People tend to admire those with extraordinary skills. Athletes have always been revered. How do you feel about Art/Music/Dance. Does it have a place in society?

I also take issue with how some athletes conduct themselves, but the fans dictate what they can get away with.
I didn't say athletics (dance, music, art, etc.) had NO place in society. I said our priorities were misplaced, because these people do not contribute as much to the welfare of society as many other people who get paid far less do. It probably wouldn't even bother me so much if so many pro athletes didn't have such a bad attitude and complete disregard for the much poorer fans who idolize them and support them in the lifestyle that most of us can only dream about. :rolleyes:

jackets5 said:
Your an ignorant loser, who is most likley unathletic and was picked on by the athletes in school so you do nothing but study and assert superiority over those who play such a primitive sport, all the players are stupid neanderthals anyway.

I don't care about sports stars making big bucks, I buy into capitalism and if people want to waste hard earned money on sports let them. I don't see point of it. And jackets5, I think you are an idiot. :rolleyes: just because someone doesn't like pro sports doesn't mean they aren't athletic or don't enjoy playing sports. And the game is mental? Hardly, while most love to make this claim in actuality a very small component of the game is actually mental, I think this is more than evident by the fact that skilled players succeed regardless of team, and even if their is a mental component the coaches are more responsible for managing this than the players. If anyone among us put as much time working out and playing sports as we did pursuing intellectual activities we could be perfectly reasonable players (perhaps not the best, but reasonable). Anyhow, clearly academic interests have more societal value than sports, though sports do certainly have value, as do the arts and music.

The game is not mental give me a break, you obviously have never played any sport. During the week if your playing defense you need to know an recognize all the formations the other team will throw at you and what on the spot adjustments to make in each particular defensive call that is in the package that week. The offense needs to know even more each week. The vast majority of people could work out all day, take the best drugs available and still not be able to compete at a high level. Finally, athletes are not overpaid, they get paid what they do because owners can afford to pay them. Sports provide people with a release for 3 hours after a hard day/week a work and people are willing to pay for it, it is no way a waste of money. No one is going to pay to watch someone do a chemisty experiment or write a poem. Sports teach you things about people and yourself that you will never be able to find out in 99% of other activites.

Alexander Pink said:
I don't care about sports stars making big bucks, I buy into capitalism and if people want to waste hard earned money on sports let them. I don't see point of it. And jackets5, I think you are an idiot. :rolleyes: just because someone doesn't like pro sports doesn't mean they aren't athletic or don't enjoy playing sports. And the game is mental? Hardly, while most love to make this claim in actuality a very small component of the game is actually mental, I think this is more than evident by the fact that skilled players succeed regardless of team, and even if their is a mental component the coaches are more responsible for managing this than the players. If anyone among us put as much time working out and playing sports as we did pursuing intellectual activities we could be perfectly reasonable players (perhaps not the best, but reasonable). Anyhow, clearly academic interests have more societal value than sports, though sports do certainly have value, as do the arts and music.

QofQuimica said:
I didn't say athletics (dance, music, art, etc.) had NO place in society. I said our priorities were misplaced, because these people do not contribute as much to the welfare of society as many other people who get paid far less do. It probably wouldn't even bother me so much if so many pro athletes didn't have such a bad attitude and complete disregard for the much poorer fans who idolize them and support them in the lifestyle that most of us can only dream about. :rolleyes:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The overwhelming majority of pro athletes are very appreciative and treat fans great. Of course there are complete jackasses like Barry Bonds, but most are great with fans. Also, fans are also to blame if athletes give them a lack of respect. While playing college football ive been called things that cant even be repeated by fans, have had things thrown at myself and teamates. Fans know everything about pro athletes, while the athlete knows nothing about the fan, whether or not hes a good person or a lunatic (like the guy who slapped Craig biggio's wife at the world series). Heres a quick story, I have a friend who was an NBA lottery pick, I hooked up with him and we were eating lunch about 6 times while we were eating people came up to him and asked for an autograph, kids, grown men etc. Once you sign for one person you open the flood gates. Imagine how annoying it can get to be interupted multiply times while eating time after time.

I'm really not wanting to pick a fight with you, jacket, but I hope you'll excuse me if I just can't muster up much sympathy for your friend. Any public figure has that problem, not just pro athletes. My sister was a TV reporter for several years. She regularly endured random strangers walking up to her on the street and critiquing her clothes or hair, as well as asking for autographs and photos. Since she was appearing live in their living rooms every night, these people felt like they knew her personally, and they would act accordingly.

I would still argue that being a pro athlete is an overly privileged position in our society. If it means that you have to sign some autographs whenever you go out to eat, that's a small price to pay for having such a plumb position in life. However, I *am* sorry that you have had people throwing things at you or otherwise being abusive toward you. I certainly don't think that anyone deserves to be mistreated.

Anyway, we've somehow hijacked this thread. Maybe it's time to steer it in a more positive direction, toward coming up with alternative activities in med school for people who don't enjoy watching football. Personally, I'd like to see a greater emphasis on encouraging people to participate in sports rather than just watch them. I for one would much rather play myself than watch others play. Jacket, maybe you could start an IM team when you get to med school. That would also serve your goal of wanting to promote fitness in physicians.

defiantley didnt mean to start a fight. Just the tone of the orginal post pissed me off a bit.

QofQuimica said:
I'm really not wanting to pick a fight with you, jacket, but I hope you'll excuse me if I just can't muster up much sympathy for your friend. Any public figure has that problem, not just pro athletes. My sister was a TV reporter for several years. She regularly endured random strangers walking up to her on the street and critiquing her clothes or hair, as well as asking for autographs and photos. Since she was appearing live in their living rooms every night, these people felt like they knew her personally, and they would act accordingly.

I would still argue that being a pro athlete is an overly privileged position in our society. If it means that you have to sign some autographs whenever you go out to eat, that's a small price to pay for having such a plumb position in life. However, I *am* sorry that you have had people throwing things at you or otherwise being abusive toward you. I certainly don't think that anyone deserves to be mistreated.

Anyway, we've somehow hijacked this thread. Maybe it's time to steer it in a more positive direction, toward coming up with alternative activities in med school for people who don't enjoy watching football. Personally, I'd like to see a greater emphasis on encouraging people to participate in sports rather than just watch them. I for one would much rather play myself than watch others play. Jacket, maybe you could start an IM team when you get to med school. That would also serve your goal of wanting to promote fitness in physicians.

jackets5 said:
defiantley didnt mean to start a fight. Just the tone of the orginal post pissed me off a bit.
I can understand that. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that my (non-football!) interests and hobbies are "douchebag hobbies," but I wouldn't appreciate being told that in quite those words. :smuggrin:

Thank God that I go to a basketball school. ;)

FernandoV said:
.........communist (her avatar confirms this).

Thanks for the compliment, McCarthy.

**(by the way-football is the opiate of the masses.)**

jackets5 said:
The overwhelming majority of pro athletes are very appreciative and treat fans great. Of course there are complete jackasses.
Same can be said for MD's.......

jackets5 said:

QofQuimica said:
I can understand that. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that my (non-football!) interests and hobbies are "douchebag hobbies," but I wouldn't appreciate being told that in quite those words. :smuggrin:

Wow. I've never seen such an amiable resolution to an SDN argument before.
Usually debates like this escalate into a full-out flame war.
Good for you! We all could learn smtg from this.

Napoleon1801 said:

Duh. Get with the program, or you won't get along with your attendings. It would be in your best interests to buy some OU gear.

thackl said:

Yes, in San Francisco.

(and maybe Austin.)

Well Napoleon, if you hate your social interactions so much at OU, you could always transfer to OSU-COM where there is no football!

Just kiddding. Sort of. Well, after all, it is Bedlam Week!!! Go Sooners!!

Sincerely,
a fellow douchebag

Jalopycat said:
Well Napoleon, if you hate your social interactions so much at OU, you could always transfer to OSU-COM where there is no football!

Just kiddding. Sort of. Well, after all, it is Bedlam Week!!! Go Sooners!!

Sincerely,
a fellow douchebag

Yeah the Sooners were wonderful this year. How about that double overtime game with Baylor?

Sic 'em.

OSUdoc08 said:
Yeah the Sooners were wonderful this year. How about that double overtime game with Baylor?

Sic 'em.

A rough year that only stands out because of how good they usually are.

I forget, how many national championships do the Cowboys have again? :smuggrin:

MoosePilot said:
A rough year that only stands out because of how good they usually are.

I forget, how many national championships do the Cowboys have again? :smuggrin:

I'm a Baylor alum.....so don't worry I'm used to getting crap.

Go Lady Bears Basketball!

OSUdoc08 said:
I'm a Baylor alum.....so don't worry I'm used to getting crap.

Go Lady Bears Basketball!

I've got family in Waco, so I know some Bears fans. No, they're not a big football powerhouse, are they? Good school, though. I often wish I'd gone to a school known more for its academics than its football, but such was not to be...

MoosePilot said:
I've got family in Waco, so I know some Bears fans. No, they're not a big football powerhouse, are they? Good school, though. I often wish I'd gone to a school known more for its academics than its football, but such was not to be...

I decided that since I wanted to be a doctor and not a sports fan when I grew up that I'd base my decision off of med school acceptance rates and not the football record.

Little did I know that I would decide to go into sports medicine.

OSUdoc08 said:
I decided that since I wanted to be a doctor and not a sports fan when I grew up that I'd base my decision off of med school acceptance rates and not the football record.

Little did I know that I would decide to go into sports medicine.

All my school choices were based on the Oklahoma State Regents giving a full ride to any National Merit Scholars. It's not hard to choose when that's a factor :laugh:

but osu is going to build their oh so important and necessary athletic village, so they fulfill their most important mission as a public university -- win football games. :rolleyes: honestly, we do have misplaced priorities when universiites can get funding for cr@p like an athletic village but no one donates to scholarship funds and for hiring faculty.

exlawgrrl said:
but osu is going to build their oh so important and necessary athletic village, so they fulfill their most important mission as a public university -- win football games. :rolleyes: honestly, we do have misplaced priorities when universiites can get funding for cr@p like an athletic village but no one donates to scholarship funds and for hiring faculty.

I think the faculty makes enough as it is. I've seen some of the salaries.

As far as scholarships are concerned, they are readily available if you are an Oklahoma resident.

I'm so jealous. I'm from Syracuse (1-10 baby) and go to a school in Philly that has no football team. But at least I can jump on the Penn State bandwagon, which owns the state. That is until basketball season starts.

BBall losses in Novemeber don't count.