Iserson's (6th ed.) profile of EM: 4 stars???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EclecticMind

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm sure most of you have already read, Iserson's new 6th. edition has EM ranked as "4 stars" which means "very difficult" residency to get accepted into. It goes on to say that high scores on USMLE, research, AOA, etc., are the things that programs look for.

I'm confused b/c last week there was a thread posted asking what Step 1 score would likely get you a slot, and I remember some responses saying that you would likely get a slot if you just beat the mean.

So seriously, in the real world for someone who doesn't care all that much about trying to get into the "top EM program in the country," what does it really take to get into the "average" (for lack of better terms) EM program? Is it really that imperative to do research, score 240+ on boards, etc, etc,?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Over 210 will get u a ton of interviews. the rest is personality u know? they say for ED there are many important factors ahead of your score. I would guess most cutoffs are 210 or so.

Yeah, you have to remember Iserson himself is an EM physician so I think he tends to overestimate it a bit. Sure AOA, high boards are needed for maybe the top programs like Carolinas, Denver but usually beating the mean with strong letters and clinical grades will get you one of your top 3 choices IMHO. I think EM is a bit different because (smart) applicants tend to choose more based on geographic interests than specific programs.

C

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go back a few editions (before NBC's ER and the craze) he has always ranked it as a bit more competitive than it really is (not to say that in select areas it isn't) Remember...up until about 1988 or so, they were still letting internists, FPs, even surgeons take certification in emergency medicine. It must also be said though that Iserson's native program was one of the first dedicated EM programs that I am aware of, predating the craze in EM by nearly 20 years.

yeah, I did forget about Iserson being an EM doc... so I can see his vulnerability to being a little biased on the competitiveness.

I am a student in GA, and I actually think that I would enjoy doing a residency in FL. I know that there's Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville... and maybe more, I don't remember... but I wonder how competitive these places are?

EclecticMind said:
yeah, I did forget about Iserson being an EM doc... so I can see his vulnerability to being a little biased on the competitiveness.

I am a student in GA, and I actually think that I would enjoy doing a residency in FL. I know that there's Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville... and maybe more, I don't remember... but I wonder how competitive these places are?

In Tampa, we have 6 spots a year. I think Orlando 10-12, and UF is huge at like 17-18. We took people from all over last year (one from Cali, one from Arkansas, one from Wisconsin). Just submit your application and pray to the interview gods!

EclecticMind said:

MCG, Mercer, Morehouse, or Emory?

One of my fellow graduates and a girl who graduated a year before me are in the Orlando program, and a resident I know is in the Jacksonville program.

Let me know if you want me to drop a note for you.

We take 12/year at ORMC. Pretty diverse group from all over. Let me know if you have any questions.