Isn't it depressing how much longer it's going to take until you start making $?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep. These guys are, I believe, the highest paid degrees on average right out of undergrad.

2nd actually, behind petroleum engineering.

Members don't see this ad.

Computer science/computer engineering is probably one of the safer degrees you can get now. We still have a major shortage of CS engineers and an abundance of job offerings. Not really here nor there. But if someones still trying to figure out what degree to get. Not a bad option.

Yeah, CS is cool. I always thought it was a saturated field until I researched it about a month ago. I dunno if I could stand being a CS dude tho... Lots of mean but totally true reasons why.

Yep. These guys are, I believe, the highest paid degrees on average right out of undergrad.

2nd actually, behind petroleum engineering.

Which are just ChemE's who luck into the oil industry, as far as I know =).

Found out ChemE job prospects are expected to decline 12% over the next few years, although there will also be lots of old-timer ChemE's retiring. Still not good news for anyone in my major right now. I have a MechE friend with a 4.0 GPA and lots of work experience who's trying to find a MechE job right now, it's not going so well. But he makes $40/hr as a web designer in the meanwhile, which is still pretty good money.

To be honest I do sometimes think "wouldn't it be nice to start making 60k next year and start saving money to buy a boat or whatever".

But at the same time, I've been a student my whole life so really its the only thing I've ever known. With that in mind I really have no problem living in small shared apartments or whatnot for the next 4 (or maybe 8) years. I think it would be really hard to go out into "normal living" and come back, so I applaud you non-trads

Members don't see this ad :)
There are jobs all over the place looking for people with computer science, web programming, etc, skills. I have seen job postings with a salary of $75k with just two years of experience. People (also businesses) are willing to pay good money to people to run their Internet stuff.

Average pay for a computer science major out of undergrade is around 62k right now. That's average, people straight out of college are making 80k at google with a BS. With a few years behind you, you can make a lot more.

Average first year pay at Goldman Sachs with bonus is around $120-140k.

True, but "Job at Goldman Sachs" isn't something you can major in.

i wrote a really long rant one day about this on here. besides not making any dough for a while, we also have/might want to find a SO at some point in time to keep us company. we might want to have/raise a family. WHEN?! i'm going through all these years of school to become a physician and then i have to take time of just as i start so i can have a few kids and actually spend time with them! gahhhhhhh

life is hard.

1075911.jpg
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/190494/1075911.jpg

i wrote a really long rant one day about this on here. besides not making any dough for a while, we also have/might want to find a SO at some point in time to keep us company. we might want to have/raise a family. WHEN?! i'm going through all these years of school to become a physician and then i have to take time of just as i start so i can have a few kids and actually spend time with them! gahhhhhhh

life is hard.

things will work out, curbye :)

Could be worse, you could be in a PhD program. That's like someone telling you have have to run a long race, but they won't tell you how long it is. Could be a short as 15 miles, could be 50. So you run and you run without any idea what pace you should be keeping, and eventually you come to a stadium full of cheering people. You feel this must be the end, but you run into one side, do a lap, and then the course leads you back out.

Finally you come to another stadium, and you think "this HAS to be it." You make it inside and you do see the finish line, but you also see last 400 meters have hurdles.

Hmm, you sound bitter enough to be a PhD for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, sometimes it bothers me, because it seems so far away.

I don't care about rolling in bling and driving the latest 80k car. Even on a doctor's salary, that would be idiotic. But money is important in a lot of ways, as it affects every aspect of your life directly or indirectly.

Anyway this is the way I'm choosing to look at it:
-during your med school years, you can take out loans. You can't be lavish with your loan money, but you should still be able to get a decent standard of living, especially if you spend wisely.
-Technically you'll start earning money when you're in your late 20's
-being poor in your 20's is sort of accepted in our culture these days. I don't think it's that big of a deal. However, being poor in your 30's or 40's would absolutely suck, especially if you choose to have a family. I'll take being poor in my 20's so that I can be financially secure for the rest of my life.

economics is a good starter.

At my university, I-banks/consulting firms hire students from a variety of majors not just econ. You can major in whatever you want and still land an interview (as long as your GPA is solid). The rest comes down to your interviewing skills and (in some cases) connections.

Our family income is likely to double in 4 years, and at least double again 3-5 years after that. Can't think of many faster, legal and sustainable ways for me to do that. So no, it doesn't depress me too much.

Thinking about how long the path to financial freedom is for me is making me groan:

• 2 years of undergrad
  • 4 years of medical school
  • 1 year MPH during med school (since I'm really interested in policy/management)
  • 3 year internal medicine residency
  • 3 years Hem/Onc fellowship

Total of 13 years left! I'll be 33! That means it'll take me just as long as it took for me to get from 1st grade to right now!

I guess it's not all bad though. I'm having tons of fun in college, and I'm sure if I choose the right med school I'll really enjoy the experience. MPH will be like a break for me during med school, and I don't think I'll be too exhausted during my internal medicine residency. After that, it's all smooth sailing.

Hopefully I'll lose my inspiration to become involved in health policy, sell out, and go into dermatology or something :D. Then it'd only take 10 years.

This may have already been said, but there are a bunch of med schools that offer a MPH that won't add an additional year onto your med school degree. You lose your summer after college and your first year break, but if time is important to you one can fit it in during your four years.

At my university, I-banks/consulting firms hire students from a variety of majors not just econ. You can major in whatever you want and still land an interview (as long as your GPA is solid). The rest comes down to your interviewing skills and (in some cases) connections.

well i am stuck in a fail public science based university. all they care about is their damn biology and psychology crap.

economics is a good starter.

The only way an Econ degree is getting you an I-Banking job right out of undergrad is if you go to an Ivy/Stanford/MIT and make a 3.8+ and had a summer internship at one of the big banks

The only way an Econ degree is getting you an I-Banking job right out of undergrad is if you go to an Ivy/Stanford/MIT and make a 3.8+ and had a summer internship at one of the big banks

Depending on the Ivy, you won't need a 3.8+. I know plenty of kids at my school who landed i-banking jobs with a 3.5~.

Depending on the Ivy, you won't need a 3.8+. I know plenty of kids at my school who landed i-banking jobs with a 3.5~.

Betch, I'm not hating on you. But can you make, or comment, in a thread without dropping that you go to an ivy? :D

Betch, I'm not hating on you. But can you make, or comment, in a thread without dropping that you go to an ivy? :D

:laugh: I'm just saying it's not all that coveted and impossible to attain i-banking spots. I guess I should refrain from talking about my school. People from my school started recognizing my posts.

Maybe I'm out of touch, but it seems like (at least for us non-Ivy-Leaguers) that landing a top-dollar investment banking job, especially in this economic climate, is about as surefire a plan as getting yourself a top-rounds pick in the NBA draft.

I was referring to needing a 3.8 if being an Econ major was your selling point, we all know having family connections in high places counts for more than any GPA.

The whole reason us obsessive compulsives do so well in medicine is in part because of our tendency to delay gratification, say until mid 30s :D.

but i want my money, and i want it NOW!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0fIi3H-es[/YOUTUBE]

Engineering is a good way to go. And since it's just an undergraduate degree, you can always become a doctor or something else later on. It's not like you invest years of grad school in it.

The problem with engineering is that you end up working with engineers. It's like living an ongoing star trek convention but minus any remote entertainment value or humor.

The problem with finance is that you end up working in a corporate environment with...those types. Two parts arrogance, one part narcissism, a dash of schadenfreude and a paucity of conscience, intellectual curiosity, or goodwill.

The problem with engineering is that you end up working with engineers. It's like living an ongoing star trek convention but minus any remote entertainment value or humor.

The problem with finance is that you end up working in a corporate environment with...those types. Two parts arrogance, one part narcissism, a dash of schadenfreude and a paucity of conscience, intellectual curiosity, or goodwill.

I'd love to hear what you think about working with doctors .....

I'd love to hear what you think about working with doctors .....

I married one. They're pretty rotten too. :laugh:

My experience is anecdotal and recounted to dramatic effect for my own amusement. My dissatisfaction with those two professions was gradual and directly proportional to my escalating boredom with the redundant nature of the work and distaste the corporate environment. For others it's the tits. /shrug

If you are in it for the money, you are in the wrong field. I know your type. I see them around where I work all the time. They're miserable.

If you are in it for the money, you are in the wrong field. I know your type. I see them around where I work all the time. They're miserable.

I'm obviously not in it for the money. Trust me, with the position I'm in, I can make a lot more money going into investment banking or law.

I'm obviously not in it for the money. Trust me, with the position I'm in, I can make a lot more money going into investment banking or law.

By "position"...do you mean being at an ivy?

:laugh: