Israeli Medical School Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mac11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in going to med school, and at the risk of planning too far ahead, have some questions about the Israeli medical programs:

(Right now I do not have a bachelors, so what I'm really interested in is the best way to get my bachelors, and then get into Med School.)

Is the 7-year program (specifically I looked at the one offered at TAU) restrictive at all? After the first 3-year bachelors equivalent, are you forced to continue with specifically TAU med school, or can you consider other med schools? How competetive is that school compared to other grad schools (in Israel and abroad)?

Another option I was considering is getting my bachelors at an Israeli university, and then applying to either American or Israeli med schools. Does a bachelors at an Israeli university carry as much 'weight' as a bachelors in the US? (perhaps it carries more weight?) What are my chances of getting accepted into medical schools in Israel after a bachelors in Israel?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions; if you know of a page that explains all this I would be very happy to read it. I would also be very interested in someone's experiences in Israeli medical and bachelor programs in Israel.

Members don't see this ad.

Mac11 said:
I am very interested in going to med school, and at the risk of planning too far ahead, have some questions about the Israeli medical programs:

(Right now I do not have a bachelors, so what I'm really interested in is the best way to get my bachelors, and then get into Med School.)

Is the 7-year program (specifically I looked at the one offered at TAU) restrictive at all? After the first 3-year bachelors equivalent, are you forced to continue with specifically TAU med school, or can you consider other med schools? How competetive is that school compared to other grad schools (in Israel and abroad)?

Another option I was considering is getting my bachelors at an Israeli university, and then applying to either American or Israeli med schools. Does a bachelors at an Israeli university carry as much 'weight' as a bachelors in the US? (perhaps it carries more weight?) What are my chances of getting accepted into medical schools in Israel after a bachelors in Israel?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions; if you know of a page that explains all this I would be very happy to read it. I would also be very interested in someone's experiences in Israeli medical and bachelor programs in Israel.

Let me just quickly tell you that you do not need a bachelor's to get into the Israeli 7-year programs. Israelis go into that right after the army, without doing bachelor's course work. That's why the program is so much longer...

However, I would recommend getting a bachelor's and then applying to a 4-yr medical school. The reason being that a bachelor's not only prepares you for medical school, it also give you time to decide whether this is really what you want to do, and if you do end up going into medicine it will make you a more well-rounded student because of all the extra background work that you did in your bachelors/