Israeli Schools & I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramona223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I need some pointers...
Here's my situation:
25 YO...Graduated from UCLA (History major)...did a postbacc...took the April MCAT, no idea what the score is...maybe low to mid twenties based on practice tests...
The BIG BIG problem: GPA...
Postbacc: 2.999
Science overall: 2.93
Cumulative (if it matters): 3.51
Non-Science (if it matters): 3.8
I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to go to one of the 3 Israeli schools, especially Sackler....Not having seen my MCAT scores yet...I'm planning on taking the August MCAT and still applying this year...Should I wait for my score and then apply in October (disadvantage?)???
Is it worth it to take a 12-3 pm everyday class this summer (while working) and studying for the August MCAT, to raise my SCIENCE gpa to the 3.0 mark from a 2.93? (and should I wait for the grade to be recorded before applying?)
What's a good MCAT score base on all the above for all 3 schools (my experiences are fairly strong)?? I'm thinking a 30+ ...Do the three schools average or take the highest MCAT? THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU and best of luck..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I can probably help you out a bit...

I am currently on the waiting list at Sackler and have been accepted to Ben Gurion. I received interviews at all 3 schools. Your science GPA is a bit of a problem. The average GPA for the Israeli schools is 3.4-3.5 and is getting higher every year because more and more people are applying to these programs as the situation in Israel improves and as word continues to spread about how good these schools are. However, do not let this discourage you too much. My science GPA was 3.3 and my cumulative was 3.44 and I was accepted. I think taking a course this summer to raise your GPA to an even 3.0 could make a difference. 3 just looks much better to adcomms than a 2.93

As far as the MCAT the average score is around a 27-28 for all the schools. However, I have heard of people being accepted with lower scores. A friend of mine got an interview from Sackler and she got a 26 on the MCAT. Although she was rejected post-interview.

As far as when to apply, I applied in October to every school and I was fine. They accept all year round, however, try to get the application in ASAP. You can always apply and then mail them your August MCAT scores at a later date. Now, also keep in mind that you will have to do better than average on the MCAT since your Science GPA is low. Probably score at least a 29-30, with at least a 10 in each of the science sections.

I hope this info helped. Also, for the Columbia/Ben Gurion program it really helps to have had some sort of international work with disadvantaged peoples.

If you have anymore questions, pleae e-mail me at [email protected]

Good Luck,
Jonas

Do Israeli medical schools have a primary and secondary application or just a single application?