Israeli schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macguyver83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would being an American Citizen, but of Palestinian orgin be at all disadvantageous or would there be some racist climate if I were to study medicine in Israel? Assuming MCATS and GPA are competitive, would I be denied an interview on such grounds?

-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Macguyver83 said:
Would being an American Citizen, but of Palestinian orgin be at all disadvantageous or would there be some racist climate if I were to study medicine in Israel? Assuming MCATS and GPA are competitive, would I be denied an interview on such grounds?

-Thanks
You probably would be you're better off going to egypt.

Annoyances said:
You probably would be you're better off going to egypt.
The american school in lebanon is another option. There is a medical school there and a lot of the graduates come to the US for residency...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your quick reply. Which school is that in Egypt? Israel is meant to be a first world nation, would the discrimination really be so bad as not to attend their prestigous medical schools?

-Thanks

Macguyver83 said:
Thank you for your quick reply. Which school is that in Egypt? Israel is meant to be a first world nation, would the discrimination really be so bad as not to attend their prestigous medical schools?

-Thanks

Hey,

The discrimination you may face will be on a personal level, certainly not by the administration. While Israel is a first world country it is still at war with Palestinian terrorist organizations, and some Israelis harbour strong feelings and sometimes direct them at innocent people.

I think that if you decide to study in an Israeli school you will have a unique experience. I can't promise you that it will be positive at all times, but it is in the academic arena that people of different nations and cultures sit in the same classrooms and maintain civil relationships....sometimes they even become friends :)

If you want to focus strictly on school for the next 4 years of your life.....
find somewhere else to study.

Here's a link to a great website that would be of much help to you:

http://www.javeedsukhera.com/bio.htm

It is by a Canadian Muslim of Pakistani descent, discussing his experience studying in medical school in Israel.

I've read parts of the journal and I truly find it fascinating ! check it out :)

Macguyver83 said:

-Thanks

I know an Iranian of Muslim background who studied in Israel, finished, then managed to become licensed in New York. Not the same as being of Palestinian background by any means, but, something to work with :)

This is disgusting. Why would you guys be so fast to recommend him to go to Egypt. Just b/c he is Palestinian. As an Israeli I am insulted. Def apply to study in Israel, and I would even push in your applicaton that you hope to work with both communities and bridge the many gaps - using medicine as your vehicle. Good luck!

My advice is save the hassle. A relative offered to pay my expenses and live in Jerusalem if I attend Tel Aviv but it's not worth the headache. Some people can't separate politics from education and it's not worth the drama with the situation so unstable. AUB is a better deal depending if Beirut stabilizes politically. I would say the best choice for arabs is cornell in Qatar but it gives 70% preference to Qatari citizens.
I know the American University is opening in Jordan in a few years and they might have a medical school, now that would be sweet.
What part of Palestine you're from?

Jordan? Isn't jordan experiencing its own problems between its allegiance to the U.S. and the radical fundamentalists muslim factions there including the flood of terrorists into the region from Iraq putting exteme pressure on the government. Considering the recent assasination of the U.S. loyal monarch, i would say attending medical school there would be risky.

More generally speaking....

what do you guys think? I was considering the Ben Gurion school of the Negeev as a potential school to apply to because of its relative isolation from the political violence and because of the fact that Israel seems to offer alot in terms of its security and level of advancement in technology and medical care.

In other words i'm all for getting an excellent education emphasizing primary care training in an international setting, but i'm not sure i would know how to handle religious based conflict if was erupting in close proximity to my school. Not having any historical ties to any religion its hard for me to imagine fundamentalist culture on either side. I see all people as God's children, and i have a hard time believing that God plays favorites. how would someone like me fit in over there?

thanks!--Ben.

P.s. at your suggestion i checked out the on-line journal of the canadian-pakistani student....it was amazing!

Considering Ben Gurion because of isolation from violance??? Hmmm. I went to BGU for a semester abroad as an under grad for that reason. Four weeks into the trip, all of us naive americans were pulled from our dreams of safety in the Negev with the August 31, 2004 double bus bombing a mile from the campus.

While I advocate going to Israel (I applied to Sackler) don't go under the pretense that the Negev is safer. Relatively speaking, yes it is safer than say Tel-Aviv, but my experience there showed me that ANYTHING can happen. Go there for other reasons, not safety.

what do you guys think? I was considering the Ben Gurion school of the Negeev as a potential school to apply to because of its relative isolation from the political violence and because of the fact that Israel seems to offer alot in terms of its security and level of advancement in technology and medical care.

In other words i'm all for getting an excellent education emphasizing primary care training in an international setting, but i'm not sure i would know how to handle religious based conflict if was erupting in close proximity to my school. Not having any historical ties to any religion its hard for me to imagine fundamentalist culture on either side. I see all people as God's children, and i have a hard time believing that God plays favorites. how would someone like me fit in over there?

thanks!--Ben.

P.s. at your suggestion i checked out the on-line journal of the canadian-pakistani student....it was amazing![/QUOTE]

I am currently a student at Ben Gurion. I thought I would add a few of my thoughts on this matter. First of all, we have had students of palestinian descent complete our program. While I am certain they faced some challenges that other students did not, the overall culture of the school was one of acceptance. There were a few religious or nationalistic people that found it reprehensible to have the "enemy" in the classroom with them, but this was a solid, quiet, minority. The administration is supportive of a diverse student body, thus, I doubt you would have problems with any of the other students. The larger problem came when travelling in and out of the borders of Israel. It can be quite a headache dealing with security, but it is something that you get used to and can be overcome.

Currently we have muslim students studying in the program (as well as christian, mormon, jewish, etc...) . While I cannot speak for them, they certainly do not seem to be marginalized due to their beliefs. The truth is that we are a very diverse student body with a strong common interest in international and third world medicine. Coming from very different backgrounds, we often see the world , and events, in different shades (or even colors). Our political views range from far left to far right with most being in the middle somewhere. At times, we have political discussions that became heated as it is sometimes impossible to understand anothers beliefs. I think it has been a great learning opportunity to be exposed to diverse beliefs, even if it is difficult at times (of course, they are all wrong and I am right). And, despite our sometimes lively debates, at the end of the day we try to leave all of our differences behind and grab a beer together.

If you are interested in international medicine, perhaps you should consider applying to our program. If you aren't, perhaps Sackler or american schools would be better suited for you..

taddpole said:
Considering Ben Gurion because of isolation from violance??? Hmmm. I went to BGU for a semester abroad as an under grad for that reason. Four weeks into the trip, all of us naive americans were pulled from our dreams of safety in the Negev with the August 31, 2004 double bus bombing a mile from the campus.

While I advocate going to Israel (I applied to Sackler) don't go under the pretense that the Negev is safer. Relatively speaking, yes it is safer than say Tel-Aviv, but my experience there showed me that ANYTHING can happen. Go there for other reasons, not safety.

Thanks I appreciate the input. Its not so much the issue safety i suppose, than it is the idea that my fellow classmates and the citizens surrounding me would be thinking of "the enemy" and that i would not only not share their views but be philosophically at odds with them and therefore be in isolation from them. For instance i can already sense from some of the posters here and elsewhere that some of the young jewish students want to go to israel for what i interpret as zionist and zealous reasons and frankly fundamentalists are kind of scarey to me. any thoughts?

P.s. at your suggestion i checked out the on-line journal of the canadian-pakistani student....it was amazing!
[/QUOTE]