Issue with AP credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wanted to get a general consensus about using AP credit. I took AP chemistry during junior year of high school and I got a 5 on the AP exam. During senior year, I then used that AP credit to take organic chemistry at a university in my city. When I went to college, I didn't retake anything. Instead, I continued moving forward.

Seeing as this is a relatively unique path through these classes, do you think that admissions committee will be supportive or wary of me?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't really anything all that unique. Nothing for adcoms to be wary of if you did well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Did you take 1 or 2 semesters of orgo?

It's probably NBD since a lot of schools just require that at some point you take biochem (they don't care how you get to that point - APs, college clases during high school, blood sacrifice, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you take 1 or 2 semesters of orgo?

It's probably NBD since a lot of schools just require that at some point you take biochem (they don't care how you get to that point - APs, college clases during high school, blood sacrifice, etc)
I took two semesters, the associated labs, and a biomedical physics course during that year in high school. As far as the grades go, I didn't do super well. It was on a trimester system and I got two B-s and a B in the lecture. As in the lab though. I'm not overly concerned about those grades though because I have a 3.98 in science once I got to college fully.

I assume that you mean
1) you took AP Chem in high school (score doesnt matter as long as its pass)
2)you then used that AP Chem to get college credit for Gen Chem I/II that appears on a college transcript
3) you then took organic at a college while a senior at HS and that appears on a transcript

I am thinking that you do not have item #2. If not, you need to get it

I did use the AP to get college credit. What do you mean by not having item 2?

just was making sure

so you credit for Gen Chem via AP that appears on a transcript and you have organic as a course from a school not your primary.

1) some medical schools do not accept AP credit even if awarded by college
2) some medical schools require the specific prereq courses and will not take an advanced course in area as substitute
3) some medical schools will accept the AP as fufilling the prereq course but wont take the credit, instead require you to take an advance course in the same department

Good to know. I suppose I will avoid those schools that don't allow AP. I have taken the full round of biochemistry and all associated molecular and microbiology classes, so that won't be an issue. Thank you for your help.

I used AP for my Gen Chem credits and was able to find 30 schools that accepted it.

Although, I've only had 2 IIs at this point so maybe they still prefer you to take gen chem in college.

Actually, that depends. Biochemistry is usually under a BIOL course code and therefore is considered a Bio course as some medical schools in terms of additional course in the area, while others specifically accept it only as chemistry

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...al-school-applications.1198163/#post-17717701

At my school, biochem has its own department, so it was taken under that. O Chem was a prerequisite though, so maybe it won't be an issue. Maybe I should talk to my advisor to get her perspective. I'm sure they have had kids use AP credits before.

Reactions: 1 user