Issues with Clinical years 3 and 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinjarn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm currently in my 2nd year of basic science and find myself awash with rumor relating to extended time gaps with clinical rotations. I do know for a fact that some students with step 1 scores north of 220 are waiting over 2 semesters prior to placement. I'm hoping someone who has been down this road recently could comment in on this issue.
1. Acutely aware of ones inflexibility on geographical preference playing a large roll...can we please not rehash that cause and effect.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I really think this depends on which school you attend. SGU for the most part had rotations available if you planned correctly and stayed on their time table. They might be all over the east coast, especially if you wanted to avoid New York, but they were available. One thing they do not mention is to plan your 4th year as early as you can, and research how your 3rd and 4th year rotations will effect your matching. For instance, if you want to match into EM, line up as many EM rotations early to get the SLOE's in time for ERAS opening.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all,
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm currently in my 2nd year of basic science and find myself awash with rumor relating to extended time gaps with clinical rotations. I do know for a fact that some students with step 1 scores north of 220 are waiting over 2 semesters prior to placement. I'm hoping someone who has been down this road recently could comment in on this issue.
1. Acutely aware of ones inflexibility on geographical preference playing a large roll...can we please not rehash that cause and effect.
Thanks in advance

Can you be a little more specific with your concerns? Are you an SGU or Ross student? Do you have any red flags? I'm an SGU grad with no red flags that finished on schedule. I'd be happy to offer my advice for finishing on time if you could describe your concerns more explicitly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you be a little more specific with your concerns? Are you an SGU or Ross student? Do you have any red flags? I'm an SGU grad with no red flags that finished on schedule. I'd be happy to offer my advice for finishing on time if you could describe your concerns more explicitly.
MUA 2nd year...doing well. I'm just trying to separate rumor from fact about long waits for 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations.

MUA 2nd year...doing well. I'm just trying to separate rumor from fact about long waits for 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations.

I agree with @Mikkus . This largely depends on your school. Rep matters here. Perhaps consider reaching out to the specific programs to show your interest? Don't have much insight to offer here, was not a part of my clinical experience.

Seems to be an inverse correlation with MUA's ratio of students to clinical sites. Has anyone else recently heard of students transferring post Step 1 for schools with better clinical opportunities? The only info I can find appears to be dated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Hello all,
Thanks in advance

This all depends on the school. At the most established 2 or three schools, it might not be an issue. Any other school and I've heard all types of stories.

Based on my experience, I would never go to a school other than SGU.