Issues with my general chemistry teacher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this is the greatest ****ing thread of all time. I will be back after I poop

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading comp fail, Ischemic. I qualified that statement with "unless the outcome changes." Well guess what? The outcome changed.

How has the outcome changed? You "persuaded" your professor to give you back points for something you obviously missed anyway? Yeah you may have gotten back the points but it still doesn't change the fact that you're still a whiner. And unless you didn't notice this that's the biggest issue a lot of the people here have with you, whining over inconsequential ****. So, no the situation has NOT changed, you're still a whiny bitch.

VVVVVVVVVV Case in point

Last edited:
While I have you guys here,

Any idea how I can raise my verbal from 14 to 15? I'm not taking the MCAT till next summer, but I got a 13 on my first AAMC practice (#3) and 14s on the last two (#6 and #7). I always miss a question or two and it frustrates me because I don't know if I'll ever be able to get all of them correct. I really want to get that 15 because that way I figure I will only need 10s on both science sections to still be in great shape. That would take a lot of the pressure off me in MCAT prep knowing that I only need 10s instead of 11s.

you seriously suck so much. i would ask you to ask a trusted friend of yours to read all your posts on this thread and ask them what they think of the poster. unless they have a suspicion that the poster is you they will tell you that the poster is an a-hole.

you sound like the biggest clown i can possibly meet. according to your posts I am pretty sure you will never make it to medical school but if you are as douchey in real life as you are online than I would call you out on it everyday. you have to change your ways because this profession doesn't need egotistical idiots like you.

i had to say it again: YOU SUCK! lol .... i can imagine how smelly and ugly you must be in real life haha

edit: but if your not hook me up with your number .. i can do some charity work on the weekend

you seriously suck so much. i would ask you to ask a trusted friend of yours to read all your posts on this thread and ask them what they think of the poster. unless they have a suspicion that the poster is you they will tell you that the poster is an a-hole.

you sound like the biggest clown i can possibly meet. according to your posts I am pretty sure you will never make it to medical school but if you are as douchey in real life as you are online than I would call you out on it everyday. you have to change your ways because this profession doesn't need egotistical idiots like you.

It just SCREAMS Troll after the "help me, I'm stuck on a 14 for my verbal" comment.

It just SCREAMS Troll after the "help me, I'm stuck on a 14 for my verbal" comment.

I thought the OP was just a complainer at first, but that VR post screamed troll indeed.

trollin.jpg

edit: but if your not hook me up with your number .. i can do some charity work on the weekend

#1 post in this thread

also, OP, clearly you have been/are on the track to being a lawyer. no one writes that much text that means absolutely nothing without spending a lot of time around lawyers and politicians. you might as well type Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

see i can write long paragraphs that add nothing to my statement too.

This might legitimately be the funniest thread I've ever read. Assuming the OP isn't a troll...

Dude I don't know which law school you went to but it must blow chunks (lol Top Tier) if you never had some hardass professors... and now you met one in a community college... congratulations, welcome to life. Medical school professors are going to give you no leeway whatsoever on giving back questions unless they're actually wrong... and even then I've had professors blatantly state "oh, yeah, that's wrong, but I'm not giving back any points to the people who got it right". To my face. That's life. Deal with it. I've had classmates who've taken exams early or later because they had to go to some friend's wedding halfway across the country. Good, why should their life stop just because of an exam?

Good luck ever getting anywhere in med school with that attitude. People are going to lie and cajole their way in and you're not going to win any hearts and minds by arguing with professors about other people.

Also, I don't know what your law school definition of a gunner is, but in medical school it's the person who tries to backstab others (case in point the other two students who got to take their exam later) in order to help himself out or tries to intimidate others in order to up his goals. I hope you don't become one but you need to lose the attitude of trying to argue everything when you get to med school. Your law professors may have enjoyed long-windedness and having you try and talk them into submission, but in the medical profession that's the sign of being an annoying douche, not a good doctor. If the attending or resident says you're wrong, you need to shut up and say you're wrong, even if you're not--the only exception being where a patient's life hangs in the balance.

I really hope you're not as self-entitled in real life as you come off on the internet, because it's going to make life difficult for you academically, let alone socially.

I thought first tier law school meant top 10 like Harvard, Yale, UCLA and etc..

Don't you need golden good GPA, LSAT, and ECs to get in?

No. Tier 1 = top 50 when it comes to law schools.

For the top 14 schools you do need good gpa and lsat combo.

However, there are no real "pre-reqs" (aka no physics, organic, etc) that must be included in that GPA -- so the student who majored in basket weaving [and had their hardest class be "Basketweaving 401"] got a cGPA of 4.0 is golden.

There is no real trick around the LSAT, it is a decent standard for comparison among students.

There are no EC's required for law. No volunteering, no shadowing, no saving lives in other countries or striving to be president of the campus clubs.

I don't think there are interviews either (though I may be wrong about this one).

It is a pretty kushy app process.

PS: unlike the med app process, law app process counts A+'s as 4.3 in your GPA -- which launches many way above they would normally stand.

Last edited:

Nope. You need above average and it's the top 50 as Frazier said. Also generally speaking it's much easier to get admission into a law school than it is to get into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was reading this how to get in law school page and it said how you should apply to 6-8 schools ONLY if you have awful stats and don't think you'll get in anywhere. most people apparently apply to 1-3 schools.

f my pre med life.

fmpml

i was reading this how to get in law school page and it said how you should apply to 6-8 schools ONLY if you have awful stats and don't think you'll get in anywhere. most people apparently apply to 1-3 schools.

f my pre med life.

fmpml

Not to mention...

My cousin is in her last year at a top 5 law school, and you should hear about the life she has. It makes me so envious that I wish I had any sort of interest in law.

She does so little schoolwork that about 85% of her time outside of class is pure free time, which she spends doing whatever the hell she wants. You place into a firm early on, where you work the summer before graduating and are almost guaranteed a spot after graduation. As soon as she finishes, she'll immediately be making close to $200,000/yr there, and all last summer was spent with them regaling her with free tickets to this and that, free dinners at top restaurants, $70/day lunch stipends, etc. And no, I don't believe this was anything special done to seduce the new students, it's just the way it's run.

FML big time.

Last edited:
yeah but then there are those jd's that spend their life chasing ambulances or worse yet realize after their 7 yrs of higher ed are over that they actually want to be a physician.

hmm

yeah but then there are those jd's that spend their life chasing ambulances or worse yet realize after their 7 yrs of higher ed are over that they actually want to be a physician.

hmm

Indeed. And the latter would probably be me.

In her case at least, she loves it and is definitely the "type" who is meant for law.

If I attempted to do this, I'm sure I'd hate it (minus all the amazing perks). Also, It's safe to assume that what I described may not be the norm.

Not to mention...

My cousin is in her last year at a top 5 law school, and you should hear about the life she has. It makes me so envious that I wish I had any sort of interest in law.

She does so little schoolwork that about 85% of her time outside of class is pure free time, which she spends doing whatever the hell she wants. You place into a firm early on, where you work the summer before graduating and are almost guaranteed a spot after graduation. As soon as she finishes, she'll immediately be making close to $200,000/yr there, and all last summer was spent with them regaling her with free tickets to this and that, free dinners at top restaurants, $70/day lunch stipends, etc. And no, I don't believe this was anything special done to seduce the new students, it's just the way it's run.

FML big time.

The jobs out of a top 5 school are decent.

However, once obtained, those biglaw jobs w/ 6 figure salaries are far from relaxed.

However, once obtained, those biglaw jobs w/ 6 figure salaries are far from relaxed.

What happens to those who go to tier 3 and 4 private law schools? :confused: I have a few friends doing that, and it seems...risky.

i was subtly hinting at the OP, not you :p

Ahhh, I see what you did there. I didn't pick up on the "hmm".

Oh, I'm sure they aren't. Lawyers sure as hell aren't in the business of giving their money away. But considering the hours and pay immediately after finishing medical school, it's the clear winner. Ten years down the line may be another story...

(...of course, at that point, the lawyer is probably raking in far more than the measly 200K)

you also get to enjoy the awesomeness that is up or out in big law!

Oh, I'm sure they aren't. Lawyers sure as hell aren't in the business of giving their money away. But considering the hours and pay immediately after finishing medical school, it's the clear winner. Ten years down the line may be another story...

(...of course, at that point, the lawyer is probably raking in far more than the measly 200K)

you really can't come on a doctor forum and tell us lawyers are smart. it's not going to go over well.

someone on here put the difference between the two fields quite eloquently.

a bad doctor makes awesome money, a bad lawyer makes awful money
a good doctor makes awesome money, a good lawyer makes insane money.

you really can't come on a doctor forum and tell us lawyers are smart. it's not going to go over well.

someone on here put the difference between the two fields quite eloquently.

a bad doctor makes awesome money, a bad lawyer makes awful money
a good doctor makes awesome money, a good lawyer makes insane money.

Mmm, I think I just did that.

And that's a stupid maxim. The lawyers that make the most money are mass tort attorneys and heads of 30-person regional personal injury firms. I've met a few of them. They have great marketing skills and engaging personalities. They're of above average intelligence, obviously, but their seven-fig salaries aren't due to intelligence. They make that much money because they go after it and they know what they're doing. Lots of times these guys don't even handle the cases themselves. They simply collect the cases and then farm them off to smaller personal injury firms in return for a share of the contingency fee.

Depends on what you mean by good, I guess. If good means smart and knowledgeable about the law, these guys would be average or near the bottom. The average prosecutor knows more law than they do. The average law professor knows 100x the amount of law, yet makes 5-10% as much.

If by good you meant successful, however, then I agree, the good lawyers make a killing.

I realized that I wasn't going to be content working 50 hours a week for 30 years
In that case, medicine might be a bit problematic.

My parents keeps telling me that I'm a career student and if I'm successful in my quest to get into medical school that I'll just want to get into a different professional school afterward (perhaps an MBA program)

Maybe your parents are on to something there. Better work on that GMAT score after you're done with the MCAT.

In that case, medicine might be a bit problematic.

Yay for selective quoting!

Did you not bother to read the second half of my sentence? I said that I saw myself being unhappy working 50 hours a week pushing papers and arguing meaningless crap all day. If I'm working 50 hours+ a week doing something i enjoy, then obviously the time spent working will be far more pleasurable.

And I have actually already taken the GMAT - 5 years ago and did well on it. My score wasn't AMAZING, but still decent. I took it because I was still deciding between business school and law school. Pretty sure I'd need to take it again though because I doubt the score will still be good in 6 years.

Yay for selective quoting!

Did you not bother to read the second half of my sentence? I said that I saw myself being unhappy working 50 hours a week pushing papers and arguing meaningless crap all day. If I'm working 50 hours+ a week doing something i enjoy, then obviously the time spent working will be far more pleasurable.

And I have actually already taken the GMAT - 5 years ago and did well on it. My score wasn't AMAZING, but still decent. I took it because I was still deciding between business school and law school. Pretty sure I'd need to take it again though because I doubt the score will still be good in 6 years.

What was up with you asking advice on how to move from a 14 to a 15 on VR? Super-trollish.

What was up with you asking advice on how to move from a 14 to a 15 on VR? Super-trollish.

How is that super trollish? I know that some people on here have scored 15s. I need every verbal point that I can get because my verbal reasoning skills are far stronger than my physical and biological question skills. If I get a 15 on VR then I only need a 10 or 11 on the science sections. How is that trolling at all? I'm not asking how to get a 45. I'm asking how to get a 15 on one section to make up for my deficiencies in the other sections.

If I may ask, is this your first Chemistry class? Or more specifically, is this your first lab science?

If I may ask, is this your first Chemistry class? Or more specifically, is this your first lab science?

This is my first time ever taking chemistry. In high school I took AP environmental science, physics and bio. This is my first college lab science, yes.

I asked because I looked through my Gen Reqs and they required six hours of science with lab. How well did you in AP Bio if you have never sat in a chemistry course before? My school required Gen Chem and Bio before you were allowed to step into AP.

I asked because I looked through my Gen Reqs and they required six hours of science with lab. How well did you in AP Bio if you have never sat in a chemistry course before? My school required Gen Chem and Bio before you were allowed to step into AP.

I think you misunderstood. The only AP science course that I took in high school was AP Environmental Science. I took the honors-level courses in biology and physics. I also took AP Calc AB and BC, during 10th and 11th grade, respectively. My school, like yours, required chem as a pre-req for AP Bio. I was not interested in taking AP Physics C-Mechanics and Electricity/Magnetism, although I could have taken it as early as sophomore year, I suppose, because the only co-req/prereq for it was Calc AB. I took the honors physics the same year as BC and never got below 99 on an exam. Chemistry is more difficult for me -- not sure why. Still going to get an A in it I think but I've had to work for it unlike in physics.

Hmm, there is a memorization element to Calculus (though not nearly as much) just as there is a memorization element to Chemistry (Strong Acid/Bases). If you were a good enough high school student to progress to BC calc as a junior I'm confused as to why a General Chemistry course would prove this troubling.

Hmm, there is a memorization element to Calculus (though not nearly as much) just as there is a memorization element to Chemistry (Strong Acid/Bases). If you were a good enough high school student to progress to BC calc as a junior I'm confused as to why a General Chemistry course would prove this troubling.

Not like I'm in danger of failing it, haha. Just haven't gotten 100 in everything. I did get 103 on the first midterm but dropped to a 78 on this one. I found out today that my final lab avg is 98 and so I can skip the last lab next Tuesday (because they drop the lowest grade of the 13 labs), and use that extra time to study for the final. Because the prof drops the lowest exam grade if the score on the final is higher, and he averages the other 2 midterm scores to create the 3rd midterm score if one is skipped (I think to make up for the course's difficulty), I am in an ok situation now grade-wise. I can get an A- in the course if I get a 77 on the final next week, and an 84 on the final will get me an A. I'm confident that I can do that because I'm going to photocopy a friend's 3rd exam that will be given on Monday and returned on Tuesday. I'll take the exam home with me and do it myself under timed conditions and then check my answers against the correct answers that the prof will give out.

The math in gen chem 2 is not what I have any problems with. I make stupid mistakes on some of the multiple choice questions (like the strong acid one, for example). It was a chem 1 question and I had forgotten the list of strong acids. Most of the math that I've seen is simple to intermediate algebra (manipulating equations) or logarithms/natural logs. We did use a bit of calculus in the integrated rate equation, but it was only simple derivatives, and I remember it from high school. I agree that it is a bit frustrating that I'm not doing better, but I'd chalk it up to either the course's difficulty or the fact that I just suck at chemistry. I've always been good at math (5s on the AP AB and BC examx, 780 on the SAT quant), but I'm not looking forward to o-chem next semester because I've heard that there's almost no math in it. I suck at visualizing structures and hybridization and all of that crap. Took me a couple of days at 6 hours apiece to finally understand it. We all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
You're kidding right? Photocopy exams=not cool. :(

What are you talking about? What's wrong with this?

The professor is going to give the 3rd exam on Monday.
I won't be there. My 3rd exam grade will be the avg of my 1st and 2nd per the syllabus.
The prof will hand the exams back on Tuesday. My friend in the class who is taking the Monday exam will photocopy it for me AFTER it is graded and returned to him on Tuesday. I will use that photocopy at home to make sure that I understand the material in the 3rd unit for the final on Thursday.

Ah, I thought you were taking the third exam. If you're not, totally cool.
Good luck with 0=C.

Ah, I thought you were taking the third exam. If you're not, totally cool.
Good luck with 0=C.

Thought about it, but realized that it's risky. If I take it and get another score in the 70s then I'm looking at needing to get an 88 or 89 on the final versus an 84. I feel like skipping it is the best plan because that way I still get to do the exam on my own time and see what kind of questions I'll likely see on the final without any of the attendant risk.

I'll still do the 3rd exam at home under standard time conditions (1 hour) and review it afterward, examining incorrect answers and ensuring that I know why I got them wrong so I can avoid the same mistakes on the final.

Do you agree that this sounds good?

So what happens if you get like a 78 on the Final?

If I get a 78 on the final then it stands to reason that I would have gotten a low score on exam #3 as well because it would show that I don't understand much, if any, of that new material. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to study AS IF I were taking exam #3 on Monday, I'll just be taking it at home Tuesday night instead.

The reason why I'm not taking the Monday exam is because even if I get a 95 on it, I'll still need to get an 82 or so on the final and there's not much difference between an 82 and an 85, but there's a big difference between an 85 and a 92 (if I really **** up exam #3).

:highfive:

Yay! Still active thread, is still active!

You know, when I came back from my poop, I thought this thread would still be an entertaining bitch fest. But now it's all serious. I'm going to go take another poopy and when I comeback I expect more trolling. Thanks

You know, when I came back from my poop, I thought this thread would still be an entertaining bitch fest. But now it's all serious. I'm going to go take another poopy and when I comeback I expect more trolling. Thanks
:laugh: Remember the good ol' days when OP was b*tching and moaning about the prof allowing makeups. God I miss them.

This thread needs to be euthanized. Somebody get the gas guys from the other thread and ask them for a whopping dose of Norcuron.

How is that super trollish? I know that some people on here have scored 15s. I need every verbal point that I can get because my verbal reasoning skills are far stronger than my physical and biological question skills. If I get a 15 on VR then I only need a 10 or 11 on the science sections. How is that trolling at all? I'm not asking how to get a 45. I'm asking how to get a 15 on one section to make up for my deficiencies in the other sections.

It's just not intelligent.

If there was a test with an average of a 55% in your chemistry class and you got a 98% and I had 100%, then you asked me:

"What are the tricks and tools that you used to get 100% on this exam? I received a 98%. I need to learn how to sharpen my skills." I probably would avoid you and think you were a strange obsessive gunner type.

Plus think about it, a 15 is the top 0.1%. Maybe math isn't your strong suit so I will expand. I believe 62,000 people took the MCAT last year, that would mean approximately 62 people scored a 15. What do you think the probability is that one of those 62 people are #1 on SDN and #2 wasting their time reading your thread (like I have)? Very low. Lets say one or two of them do read it. What is the probability they would actually take the time to give you advice after the strange discourse you've engaged in? Even lower.

A 14 on practice tests means you have strong verbal skills, but this translating to a 13-15 on test day is not in any way certain. Maybe you just don't understand how the MCAT works? I do not know.

OK, I've been resisting mentioning this, but ColeOnTheRoll scored a 15 on VR. He's active on SDN, so why not invite him to comment on this thread? I've got no idea how to send people messages and don't want to invest the time on it, but since it's so important, go ahead and solicit his opinion.

I think in his blog he mentioned it was a fluke.

If it's super important, starting a thread titled something like "Help: how do you score a 15 on VR, I'm stuck at 14" will probably attract some other tips.