It can't be that hard...can it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking what the whole fuss about bio was, I'm taking Bio I in the upcoming semester and General Chem II, with Calc I, is this a good average course load or am I gonna be killing myself? (and world history but who cares?)

ps,,,quantum mechanics in G chem :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

dapmp91 said:

It's all qualitative, so it's not as mind boggling as it sounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it's average to above average a course load for someone just starting out, but it's certainly not suicidal. Like braluk said, with enough dedication you'll be more than fine.

Oh, and don't worry about quantum mechanics unless you sign up for physical chemistry. Then you might have cause for concern.

dapmp91 said:
I was thinking what the whole fuss about bio was, I'm taking Bio I in the upcoming semester and General Chem II, with Calc I, is this a good average course load or am I gonna be killing myself? (and world history but who cares?)

dont panic about quantum mechanics...just be open to new ideas! it should be pretty light in general chem.

If it doesn't require through differential equations, quantum mechanics won't be too bad. Its only awful when you have to actually do out the triple integrals in spherical coordinates for the H-atom in P-chem.

i took chemistry II, Physics I cal based and Calculus II, plus word Humanities I last spring and it was like hell... o_O lol just kidding i did manage to get A+ in all of them. you should be fine as long you dont fear Bio like i do good luck :thumbup:

dapmp91 said:

this is very manageable. personally, bio 1 is fun; calc 1 is interesting to a certain extent, but really not that difficult. chem 2 is what you make of it and depending on your professor could get a little dicey, but while i thought some of the material was pretty difficult, i ended up doing quite well.

i took bio 1/lab, phys 2/lab, calc 3, english 2 in one semester and did fine, but i had to work pretty hard. the key is to know how to manage your time well. you will do great if you can master time management. good luck

aunaturel said:
this is very manageable. personally, bio 1 is fun; calc 1 is interesting to a certain extent, but really not that difficult. chem 2 is what you make of it and depending on your professor could get a little dicey, but while i thought some of the material was pretty difficult, i ended up doing quite well.

i took bio 1/lab, phys 2/lab, calc 3, english 2 in one semester and did fine, but i had to work pretty hard. the key is to know how to manage your time well. you will do great if you can master time management. good luck

i took gen chem w/lab,physics w/lab, engineering calc ii, intro engineering w/ lab, and english my frosh year and then i did bio with orgo and some other science classes at the same time. i think its time management obviously and also perspective. goiing to the orgo and bio with lab was much easier coming from the perspective that it was way better than doing the engineering stuff. if u manage ure time u can have a social life, interests, and do well in class. i trained for a marathon while studying for the mcat and taking a full course load. i don't sleep that much though :laugh:

fleetgoddess said:
i took gen chem w/lab,physics w/lab, engineering calc ii, intro engineering w/ lab, and english my frosh year and then i did bio with orgo and some other science classes at the same time. i think its time management obviously and also perspective. goiing to the orgo and bio with lab was much easier coming from the perspective that it was way better than doing the engineering stuff. if u manage ure time u can have a social life, interests, and do well in class. i trained for a marathon while studying for the mcat and taking a full course load. i don't sleep that much though :laugh:

you, my friend, are hardcore. i am chemE though so i like the engineering moreso than orgo. although i loved bio... really my interests are all over the place, i'm a mess. ;)

i took a few quarters of bio, o-chem, and physics together, and then things got even worse...one quarter i had genetics, biochem, microbiology, micro lab, spanish, and research. all i can say is this: it's doable, but it takes its toll. i worked myself to the pulp and it was easy to lose perspective, easy to get so-called "tunnel vision." i'd imagine it's a great prelude to the rigors of med school, but you'll have a lot more fun and more time for the requisite extracurriculars if you take balanced course loads. good luck.

First things first, but not necessarily in that order

I'm not going to say this is going to be the easiest load to handle but it won't be too bad compared to what is coming ahead. I just finished my Junior year (well 3rd year, I'll be a Biochem super senior) and took the Orgo series and Bio series simultaneously while throwing in multivariable calc and analytical chem into one quarter (while working 20 hours/week) and that was pretty much the hardest thing I've ever done. When all was said and done though I did really well on the ACS Test in Organic Chem and aced Bio, so as long as you are willing to work hard, you won't have problems. Just wait until you finish some other classes and you'll reflect on that courseload as a piece of cake. Best of luck to you! My advice: Remember that it's always possible and don't stress out about your grades, learn the material. Too many kids freak out over their grades and don't retain what they need.

In the fall I start Biochem, Genetics, O-chem lab (part two), and an English class...Should be an interesting year... hooray for Western Washington University and their lack of good pre-major advising...

aunaturel said:
you, my friend, are hardcore. i am chemE though so i like the engineering moreso than orgo. although i loved bio... really my interests are all over the place, i'm a mess. ;)

haha my interests are everywhere too. I had a very liberal major which was great. I could be everywhere.

my friends were always like ..." u waste so much time goofing off and yet go so much done." i was a closet studier. i spent an average amount of time in the library in the evening and then came back early and goofed off around hte dorm so everyone thinks... she isn't very hard core goofs off a lot.. but i woke up at like 6 am all the time and did work for like th ree hours before anyone else was up :)

Sound just like my schedule except instead of history, I have painting, and instead of chem 2, I have chem 1. I'm assuming you're taking the labs too.

thanks for all the input guys,, by the way i forgot to mention I will be a sophOmore this upcoming semester, and I have already taken Calc in High school :p ...but i didn't do so well on the AP exam, but I won't go into that story,, that would require a whole new thread... :laugh: