It doesnt look good

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Djmusic10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello im an undergraduate biology major. I have been a part time student taking one to two classes a semester because of my family. Next semester i will be a full time student. I have two withdrawls a c and perhaps this semester an F on pre-cal which is a pre req. By other classes consists of A and B What should i do and what do my chances of getting accepted under these circumstances

Members don't see this ad.

Hard truthful advice: go to your college's learning services center asap and seek advice on how to study effectively because clearly what you are doing now is not working for you.

Under "these" circumstances, your chances are zero. If you have a complete 180 from this point on and go 2ish years getting all As with some Bs scattered in, you could have a chance. That's assuming the rest of your app is solid (MCAT, ECs, etc).

What you need to do is figure out why you're getting those grades. Pre calc is a high school level class, it gets exponentially more difficult from there.

Step 1: figure out why you're not having academic success. Focusing on anything else at this point is pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Now becoming a full time student what can i do to improve my situation

If i retake the class and change the f is it still possible to apply with c's and the f on my transcript?

DO schools have a grade replacement policy. If you retake the F, whatever grade you then receive will replace the F on your GPA. MD schools do not have that policy.

Short answer: yes you can get in to a MD school with an F on your transcript

Long answer: If you have an F on your transcript, you should retake it and get an A, and continue to get only As and some Bs for the rest of your undergrad. If you can do that, ADCOMS will likely not hold an F as a freshman against you. If you get your cGPA to the 3.5 mark, you could have some luck with MD, and would be a great candidate for DO. Again, this is all assuming the rest of your app is solid.

Reactions: 1 user