Would it look bad to mention tattoos?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rside

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the big turning points in my life and which led me back to pursuing becoming a physician was that my tattoo artist was assaulted while I was getting a tattoo.

Would writing about this incident/talking about the fact I have tattoos negatively affect my application/potential interviews in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have to talk about this, why waste words saying who it was anyway? Just say you witnessed an assault (of someone you know, I'd you want).

Reactions: 1 users
What is the correlation between assault and medicine?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not quite see the connection between this incident and your desire to become a physician. Tattoos can be looked at unfavorably by some admissions committee members, while others might be neutral on the topic. This is highly dependent on the individuals reading your application. However, I think the most important thing to remember is that your personal statement should be centered around YOU and what you have done to demonstrate your passion for medicine.

I do not quite see the connection between this incident and your desire to become a physician. Tattoos can be looked at unfavorably by some admissions committee members, while others might be neutral on the topic. This is highly dependent on the individuals reading your application. However, I think the most important thing to remember is that your personal statement should be centered around YOU and what you have done to demonstrate your passion for medicine.
I agree.

It is hard to advise without knowing more... presumably there is a reason that this led to you wanting to enter medicine, though it isn't apparent to the rest of us.

However, could you (non-graphically) tell the same story about the assault without disclosing that it happened in a tattoo parlor?

If you’re asking on SDN, it’s likely not a good topic. I like to think of what I call the 10-80-10 rule. 80% of essays are totally fine. 10% are excellent and add true value to your application. 10% are weird, odd, tonedeaf and harm the applicant. So don’t overthink it.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
It is hard to advise without knowing more... presumably there is a reason that this led to you wanting to enter medicine, though it isn't apparent to the rest of us.

However, could you (non-graphically) tell the same story about the assault without disclosing that it happened in a tattoo parlor?

Yes, there is a reason and it has to do more with helping him get medical attention and witnessing his recovery process post surgery. This is not my main motivation for wanting to be a physician but more of the seed that got me back on the medical school track.

I’m sure I can tell the same story without it disclosing our location but I was just thinking about potential interviews. If I was asked what I was doing during the incident, would I just say I was hanging out with my friend? Maybe I’m overthinking it too much.

Yes, there is a reason and it has to do more with helping him get medical attention and witnessing his recovery process post surgery. This is not my main motivation for wanting to be a physician but more of the seed that got me back on the medical school track.

I’m sure I can tell the same story without it disclosing our location but I was just thinking about potential interviews. If I was asked what I was doing during the incident, would I just say I was hanging out with my friend? Maybe I’m overthinking it too much.
Why would someone ask you where it was?

You are overthinking it

Reactions: 2 users