ITA, Update Letter, and LOI all in one email??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alison92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too much to send an in-the-area notification, an update of recent activities (3 paragraphs), AND a statement of continued interest in the same email?? Or should I send an ITA email first, then an update/interest letter later? The whole thing together is a little over a page single-spaced, so I'm not sure if sending it all in one chunk would maybe have less of an impact than breaking it up.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too much to send an in-the-area notification, an update of recent activities (3 paragraphs), AND a statement of continued interest in the same email?? Or should I send an ITA email first, then an update/interest letter later? The whole thing together is a little over a page single-spaced, so I'm not sure if sending it all in one chunk would maybe have less of an impact than breaking it up.
This is just... awkward.
Like a desperate suitor.

Reactions: 5 users
Alright, point taken. I will be in the area and I do have updates, so I figured I might as well throw a statement of intent in there while I'm at it since it's my top choice. Didn't mean to sound so neurotic though...haha. Guess I'll just stick with the first two so I don't freak them out ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, point taken. I will be in the area and I do have updates, so I figured I might as well throw a statement of intent in there while I'm at it since it's my top choice. Didn't mean to sound so neurotic though...haha. Guess I'll just stick with the first two so I don't freak them out ;)

i'm not sure you should assume that she meant the LOI is what made it overboard.

Multiple paragraphs of update is overkill -- that's as much text than your entire AMCAS activities section. The latter is meant to summarize 4 years. The character limit has been agreed upon as sufficient by all medical schools. Do you think they need that much info or detail about the past 4 months?

Reactions: 1 user
i'm not sure you should assume that she meant the LOI is what made it overboard.

Multiple paragraphs of update is overkill -- that's as much text than your entire AMCAS activities section. The latter is meant to summarize 4 years. The character limit has been agreed upon as sufficient by all medical schools. Do you think they need that much info or detail about the past 4 months?
I think these LOI's (especially before an interview!) are presumptuous.
ITA emails are variably received.
If a school is open to updates, I guess that is their business.

Reactions: 1 user

Maybe "paragraphs" wasn't the right word. I just said what the activity is (3 "paragraphs" for 3 new activities) and then described it in 2-3 sentences - most are shorter than the activity descriptions in AMCAS.

I'll leave out the LOI - thanks for the feedback.