ITE 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering the same thing. I thought maybe PGYO being prelims in med/surg/TY who were able to take the exam, and CA-0 as being those who are in categorical programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical base year is a PGY-1 intern (CA-0). PGY-0 should be a medical student or anybody else not enrolled into postgraduate medical education.

Under 50th percentile; anyway, not good.

You have one year to fix it. You don't want to risk failing your written board exam.
I agree...thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
are prelim interns taking the anesthesia ITE? I've no clue.

My Anesthesia program offered to let me take it lieu of the ABSITE, but my prelim program said no, I was not happy about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was in my prelim year, I was offered to. It has no real meaning, except for establishing a baseline, like AKT-0.

I've no issues with prelims taking it. I just had no clue it was offered to these interns because typically they would be at a separate institution unless they ended up doing prelim med/surg at the same institution. Quite frankly, I'd say they be better off taking that over some surgery or IM-based ITE because none of it matters at that point, but seeing the questions as many times as possible can be helpful.

When I was a CBY, I had no strategy other than read through each question as quickly as possible and if I knew it, great. If I didn't know it, just guess and move on --- I was more focused on passing Step 3 at the time. I still somehow scored around 30%. I'm not the smartest or best test-taker (i.e. I'm not an 80-90% guy), but I do try to study a lot. I have pretty much created notes on a lot of the stuff I have covered through. I will probably be focusing on Yao and Hall through december and then spend the rest of the time reviewing my extensive notes. I've done well enough as CA-1 and 2 to probably pass the exam if I keep it up.

Last edited:
I wasn't required to take it. My CA program said since I wasn't technically "their" resident this year they couldn't mandate my time. And since pretty much everyone at my site was on vacation that week, I was stuck on in house call anyway. The TYs that took it thought it was hard.

I wasn't required to take it. My CA program said since I wasn't technically "their" resident this year they couldn't mandate my time. And since pretty much everyone at my site was on vacation that week, I was stuck on in house call anyway. The TYs that took it thought it was hard.

I took the ITE just before starting my CA1 year, after a TY. What a waste of a Saturday. My keyword list read like the Miller table of contents. You didn't miss anything.

Reactions: 1 user
The reason I was unhappy about not take the Anesthesia ITE was because either way I had to take a meaningless test. At least with our ITE it would have been relevant to something I give two ****s about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took it. I haven't gotten my score back, but I'm expecting my score report to look something like my first QBank block, i.e. OMG, are you sure you're in medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know where to find a table of how to interpret the raw scaled score for all levels ca-1-3?

Are the numbers posted above from previous years experience? Or are those accurate for this year as well?

It wasn't as bad as I thought. Scaled score of 23. I made a few dumb mistakes, but c'est la vie. I hadn't been on anesthesia since the middle of June.

Does anybody know where to find a table of how to interpret the raw scaled score for all levels ca-1-3?

Are the numbers posted above from previous years experience? Or are those accurate for this year as well?

My program gave us a packet that had the conversion table, your scores, and a list of the keywords you missed. I'm a CA-1 so I thought it was helpful they broke the keywords into advanced and basic and also gave your percent correct for basic and advanced.

I know before the ITE I was wondering what other people were doing for studying. I read M&M and did the corresponding M5 section. Went through M5 twice more right before the exam. Got a 33/78th%. I thought the M5 was spot on. A lot of very similar questions you didn't even need to think about. Probably covered 90-95% of everything on the ITE. And for anyone wondering about the shape of the bell curve, the difference between a 33 and 35 is 3 questions.

For what it's worth, our PD said a 33 this year would be consistent with a person who would very likely pass the boards.

Ca-3 here, 44 raw/96 percentile. Studied hard for about two months doing basic review guides, all of m5, reading kaplan cardiac manual, and reviewing keywords and most of open anesthesia. I tried to focus on questions that less than 50 percent got correct. I plan on doing the same regimen for boards as well as trying anesthesia prep and doing all the old ABA board exams. Also, someone in my class made a pretty thorough 20 page review of hall, so I just read that instead of going cover to cover again.

Reactions: 2 users
CA-1 here. Scored a 44/99th percentile this time around. I thought that the hall book was helpful, as were the old ACE questions. I spent most of my time doing textbook reading and I thought that it was also fairly beneficial. The key for me was to get into a reading schedule and try to read a little bit every night.

Reactions: 2 users
CA-1 here. Scored a 44/99th percentile this time around. I thought that the hall book was helpful, as were the old ACE questions. I spent most of my time doing textbook reading and I thought that it was also fairly beneficial. The key for me was to get into a reading schedule and try to read a little bit every night.
That is beyond fantastic!

Ca-3 here, 44 raw/96 percentile. Studied hard for about two months doing basic review guides, all of m5, reading kaplan cardiac manual, and reviewing keywords and most of open anesthesia. I tried to focus on questions that less than 50 percent got correct. I plan on doing the same regimen for boards as well as trying anesthesia prep and doing all the old ABA board exams. Also, someone in my class made a pretty thorough 20 page review of hall, so I just read that instead of going cover to cover again.

Is the Hall summary something you're able to share? If not electronically, I'm an intern in the MICU this month...

CA1 also, also 44/99%. Read M&M cover to cover x1 with probably x2 of some of the basic chapters like inhaled/IV/pharmacology/etc. Also read barash chapters of the basic topics. Did most of hall, though hated it. Did m5 twice, which is where I think the money is.

Reactions: 1 user
also for what its worth, since this year they gave us a breakdown of percent we got right on basic and advanced questions, I can say that my scaled score out of 50 was not linear with % questions actually correct. Since I asked that earlier myself.

How many more 99th percentiles from the CA-1 class? This is SDN after all.... :)

CA1 also, also 44/99%. Read M&M cover to cover x1 with probably x2 of some of the basic chapters like inhaled/IV/pharmacology/etc. Also read barash chapters of the basic topics. Did most of hall, though hated it. Did m5 twice, which is where I think the money is.

Why did you hate Hall?

45/98%ile CA-2, did better than I would have guessed given how hard I thought this year's test was right after taking it compared to last year's first computer-based session. Re-did the Hall book, Faust, select chapters from Morgan and Mikhail, and baby Miller. Also did about 3/4 of the online lectures from Univ of Kentucky. I missed more generic/basic questions than advanced, I guess it's a product of focusing on sub-specialties for 8 months before taking the test ;)

All of you who did over 40, regardless of the year, be very proud! That knowledge is what separates you from the CRNAs, not the monkey skills.

I think Hall is outdated and covers a lot of things that will never be tested on the ITE. Do I really need to be able to calculate how many ml of iso that the vaporizer will use per hour?

I think Hall is outdated and covers a lot of things that will never be tested on the ITE. Do I really need to be able to calculate how many ml of iso that the vaporizer will use per hour?

I agree, especially since the test is more like an internal medicine test. ACE questions and/or M5 (didn't use it) seems to be the way to go nowadays (+Any review/text book).

I agree. There is no secret to success. If you put in the work, you will be rewarded. We have all been programmed to be excellent test takers to make it this far, and this should be no exception. If you approach a test with the confidence you will pass, you will surely do well. The prevailing formula appears to be basic (text + review + qbank)x2 = W.

"The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory." - Sun Tzu

45/98%ile CA-2, did better than I would have guessed given how hard I thought this year's test was right after taking it compared to last year's first computer-based session. Re-did the Hall book, Faust, select chapters from Morgan and Mikhail, and baby Miller. Also did about 3/4 of the online lectures from Univ of Kentucky. I missed more generic/basic questions than advanced, I guess it's a product of focusing on sub-specialties for 8 months before taking the test ;)

CA-2 as well, so nice job. Oddly enough for me, I did much better on the basic questions compared to advanced. So much so, I wondered if I accidentally clicked the wrong answers on a few. If I'd done as well on the advanced portion, my score would have likely hit in the 38-39 range. I think next time around I'll try to focus more on reading. I didn't have time to do as much studying this year as I did as a CA-1, but it seemed a lot of that reading helped carry me over and I spent more time just doing questions.

Anyone with opinion on what to specifically study/focus on for the advanced questions as opposed to the basic questions?

Perhaps for the CA-3 ITE, I'll try to go through Faust again, and also go through Yao. I didn't like Hall really, but if folks think it's money then I'll give it another go. I made it through 50% of Hall this time around.

I agree. I bought the Hall book as a med student and the Ipad app as a resident and it's pretty outdated. I wish the M5 would have been around back then, it would have saved me almost $200. M5 is up to date with new questions and sections added periodically. It's a proven Q-bank now that it's been out for a couple ITE's. I've used it for the last 2 ITE's and I ended up with a 90th last year and 85th this year. It takes me a long time to go through all the questions, usually ~3 months to go through the full M5 bank. So make sure you leave yourself enough time to carefully go through each question and answer and take notes on the difficult concepts.