ITE 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MirrorTodd

It's a gas.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my score back, apparently I did terrible...like I'm actually having a little trouble believing it. Does anyone have the 2021 ite norm table?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my score back, apparently I did terrible...like I'm actually having a little trouble believing it. Does anyone have the 2021 ite norm table?
Data were heavily skewed. Very crowded at the top. 70% raw score gets you an abysmal percentile score this year.

Attachments

• 9C5DB0AE-52F4-49DE-9686-C85FCE8A74F5.png
    9C5DB0AE-52F4-49DE-9686-C85FCE8A74F5.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,180
  • 6463AA15-9609-498A-882C-F7B92BA4778C.png
    6463AA15-9609-498A-882C-F7B92BA4778C.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,120
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
what year are you and what did you do to study
I'm graduating this year. I didn't do as much as in the past. Started about 2 months out. Ran through truelearn on study mode or whatever it is, then did questions I got wrong on study mode. Then did blocks of 50 questions. I'd say I did like truelearn 1.75x. Usually, I'd work through it twice and read through most of M/M. I definitely could've studied harder, but ultimately this test means **** all in the grand scheme of things. I'm not applying for fellowships, I'm not trying to do anything fantastic that will change the face of anesthesia or anything like that, so I'm not too stressed about the score. It was kind of good in the sense that I know I now should study harder for the advanced exam.

My raw scores were 78% correct from basic items and 67% correct from advanced items, so not great considering how close the percentiles are in the overall group.

I'm graduating this year. I didn't do as much as in the past. Started about 2 months out. Ran through truelearn on study mode or whatever it is, then did questions I got wrong on study mode. Then did blocks of 50 questions. I'd say I did like truelearn 1.75x. Usually, I'd work through it twice and read through most of M/M. I definitely could've studied harder, but ultimately this test means **** all in the grand scheme of things. I'm not applying for fellowships, I'm not trying to do anything fantastic that will change the face of anesthesia or anything like that, so I'm not too stressed about the score. It was kind of good in the sense that I know I now should study harder for the advanced exam.

My raw scores were 78% correct from basic items and 67% correct from advanced items, so not great considering how close the percentiles are in the overall group.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like you'd still pass the advanced exam pretty easily with those percentages. And you're absolutely right, ITE scores hardly mean anything even if you're doing fellowships. A couple of the people who matched cardiac in my class were far from great test-takers.

Also, it seems like average scores are creeping up, probably from more people doing Truelearn. I remember a 40 being good for 90th percentile during my CA1 year, and now it's down to 80th.

FWIW I ended up getting a 47 scaled score this year. I'm pretty content with that given the onset of senioritis...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Definitely inflated scorers all around due to true learn and other question banks. People aren’t actually smarter, they’ve just become better test takers - including myself. I also got 47 scaled score (90th percentile) but i really didn’t feel great about how I did walking out of the exam.

As True Learn and these other question banks become more and more ubiquitous, scores will absolutely become more inflated and examiners will have to come up with more obscure and esoteric questions to ask. It’s ridiculous.

i believe ITE > 30th percentile is most consistent with passing the basic or advanced exams.

Yea 49 raw this year and still 6% scored higher?

Definitely due to great resources/qbanks. But I mean there’s only so much to reasonably ask so the only other option is for them to add more irrelevant minutiae.

i believe ITE > 30th percentile is most consistent with passing the basic or advanced exams.
1616675589211.png

1616675629868.png

Some rough guides from a few years ago. At one point, someone on this board had access to the 2018 report, but I haven’t seen once since. Would be interesting to see what 2020 looked like.

View attachment 333344
View attachment 333345

Some rough guides from a few years ago. At one point, someone on this board had access to the 2018 report, but I haven’t seen once since. Would be interesting to see what 2020 looked like.

Yeah I’m not sure how they came up with the 30th percentile as good indicator of passing. Seems like most programs use that. I dropped off precipitously from my ca1 score and I’m not feeling great

Yeah I’m not sure how they came up with the 30th percentile as good indicator of passing. Seems like most programs use that. I dropped off precipitously from my ca1 score and I’m not feeling great
Only 5-10% of all test takers fail, so if you are at 30th percentile, assuming you don’t move too far down, you should pass. At least that is how I interpreted it when I was told something similar by my PD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did poorly on it. Didn't do great as a CA1 either but did just fine on basic. ITE is a garbage test. This year was very obviously easier than the previous 2 that I took and I knew walking out of it that my percentile was a disaster. My program director somehow looked me straight in the eyes and told me that even though I scored 77% of the answers correctly, he was very disappointed in my performance. What a joke. Last year we had a CA3 that scored 1st percentile pass advance and we had a CA1 score 88th percentile go on to fail basic. The predictive value of this is non existent.

We had one person rock the test but almost everyone else scored significantly below how they did last year.

Reactions: 1 users
Did poorly on it. Didn't do great as a CA1 either but did just fine on basic. ITE is a garbage test. This year was very obviously easier than the previous 2 that I took and I knew walking out of it that my percentile was a disaster. My program director somehow looked me straight in the eyes and told me that even though I scored 77% of the answers correctly, he was very disappointed in my performance. What a joke. Last year we had a CA3 that scored 1st percentile pass advance and we had a CA1 score 88th percentile go on to fail basic. The predictive value of this is non existent.

We had one person rock the test but almost everyone else scored significantly below how they did last year.
I felt I did terrible during my CA3 year, but only got a 50, whatever that’s worth.

• Haha
A couple 50s and quite a few 45-49 in my class.

I hated that test, mostly because attendings would use it to judge you. You could be awesome clinically but they would literally pick their favorites based on that test. Keep doing your studying, pick a book and know it front to back, do the question banks and you'll be fine when the real test comes around. Let me say again, the ITE is STUPID.

I hated that test, mostly because attendings would use it to judge you. You could be awesome clinically but they would literally pick their favorites based on that test. Keep doing your studying, pick a book and know it front to back, do the question banks and you'll be fine when the real test comes around. Let me say again, the ITE is STUPID.
I think most attendings don't receive/don't care about the ITE scores. It is usually only shared amongst the PDs. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I think most attendings don't receive/don't care about the ITE scores. It is usually only shared amongst the PDs. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Don’t programs have like competency meetings and chat about it? I think my program sends the scores to the department

Does anyone have the scaled report for the advanced portion of the ite2021? Just took advanced and am ****ting myself a little

hey, when you go to true learn. What exam are you selecting? Because they don't have podiatry

I've been wondering for a few years when the test writers would start deliberately conposing questions that aren't in the qbanks. More and more esoteric textbook stuff to so they can catch people whose reading plan is 100% qbank based.