ITE and percentile by PGY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Death and Taxes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question, are there data on what raw percent to percentile by PGY? E.g. 66% raw is 63%ile for PGY1, what would the percentile been for pgy 2 and 3?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Question, are there data on what raw percent to percentile by PGY? E.g. 66% raw is 63%ile for PGY1, what would the percentile been for pgy 2 and 3?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not sure but I was in the 92nd percentile for PGY-1 with 77% correct and a PGY-2 with 77% was in the 77th percentile.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure but I was in the 92nd percentile for PGY-1 with 77% correct and a PGY-2 with 77% was in the 77th percentile.

I wonder what this says about the program or the resident - where you guys both score the same despite a year more of knowledge building. Unless you’re just a genius.

I wonder what this says about the program or the resident - where you guys both score the same despite a year more of knowledge building. Unless you’re just a genius.
Or just don’t give a @&$* and take the exam in a post night float or heavy drinking night.

Reactions: 1 user
All programs receive a norm table that displays all of this. You could ask your program and I'm sure they would share it with you.

A 66% raw score is the 63rd, 33rd, and 19th percentiles for PGY 1, 2, and 3.

If you want to stay at the 63rd percentile, the raw scores are 66, 73, and 77% for PGY 1-3 respectively.

Reactions: 5 users
The only real utility of the ITE is to screw up the inpatient team schedules for a good 2-3 weeks at your residency program. If you're a senior resident, buckle up because you get to be an "intern" again a few extra days that week.

No one should really care whether you're at the 50th percentile nationally or 95th percentile nationally (and most of the higher ups who actually do make a big deal out of it don't really have a clue what matters). Your only goal with the ITE is to not be a major outlier in the bad direction, i.e. you don't want to stand out as scoring poorly.

I did far better on the IM boards (which, again, no one cares about which percentile you were in) than the stupid ITE predicted.