ITE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNCASC

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
PGY2. Did decent on last years ITE however was studying for step 3. Have not thought about studying for this one yet. Just wondering of what resources to use? I don't have MKSAP yet, am waiting for MKSAP 19 which comes out 8/31 which is a few days before my ITE. Just wondering if there are other question banks to use? I also understand most people don't study but I'd like to at least do some questions. Or prepare some way.

Members don't see this ad.

Scored above average on the ITE during PGY2 - I did use MKSAP which probably helped the most. Other options for you are NEJM Resident Prep 360 (free subscription), UWorld (though wouldn't recommend purchasing the Qbank this early and would hold off until you are actually preparing for the boards), MedStudy.
The main goal of the ITE is to gauge your ability to pass the IM boards which you take the August after graduating residency. The ITE scores shouldn't be mentioned in the PD letter if you are applying to fellowship. So you don't need to stress out too much about this.

Reactions: 1 user
ITE is the lowest stakes test youll have taken since your last vision exam, do whatever you want since the real studying starts when you are scheduled for abim.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
PGY2. Did decent on last years ITE however was studying for step 3. Have not thought about studying for this one yet. Just wondering of what resources to use? I don't have MKSAP yet, am waiting for MKSAP 19 which comes out 8/31 which is a few days before my ITE. Just wondering if there are other question banks to use? I also understand most people don't study but I'd like to at least do some questions. Or prepare some way.

This is the least important exam. You don't need to do any study at all and I would not suggest you to waste time. Only exam you need to pass is board exam

The ITE is meant to be a general benchmark of how you’re doing in residency and the intention is to take it without significant studying.

Now, some residency programs do put a bit of emphasis on it - mine required a certain percentile before you could have permission to moonlight, since if you were too low you’d be better off using that extra time to study - so if that’s the case for you, or if you’re super neurotic… MKSAP is best. Just run through questions.

But you’d be better off saving your money for the new MKSAP that comes out in a month or two.

Anyone take it already? I thought it was hard!