ITE in PGY3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usamd2015

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Need some help on how to study for ITE for my 3rd year. I did poorly in my 1st year (10th percentile) but significantly improved in 2nd year (70th percentile). I attribute the jump mainly to studying for step 3 and also doing about 65% of MKSAP.
Now I feel they will judge me if I perform poorly in my 3rd year. What can I study in my 3rd year? I stupidly finished MKSAP already towards the end of 2nd year.
I am under so much pressure now to do well this year. I am reserving UW for the ABIM. Any suggestions on what to do now? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand the mentality of not wanting to do UWorld or MKSAP but rather to "save them for the ABIM". I know you already did MKSAP, but do it again. Or do UWorld. And then do it again for ABIM. ABIM isn't an exam you "cram" for - people who do well do well because they studied throughout residency and learned medicine. If you do UWorld now and when you redo it you already "know all the answers" that's great, it means when the ABIM exam phrases a question looking for the same learning point you'll be like "Oh, on UWorld it said to repeat another cytology, I guess that's the right answer" and then boom, there it is as option D.

I excelled on my ITE's because I kept doing MKSAP over and over as I rotated through different blocks. I personally never memorize all 1400 answers so I always learned something.

Reactions: 1 user
Why does it matter how well you do on this? Will they hold you back if you score 50th percentile or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand the mentality of not wanting to do UWorld or MKSAP but rather to "save them for the ABIM". I know you already did MKSAP, but do it again. Or do UWorld. And then do it again for ABIM. ABIM isn't an exam you "cram" for - people who do well do well because they studied throughout residency and learned medicine. If you do UWorld now and when you redo it you already "know all the answers" that's great, it means when the ABIM exam phrases a question looking for the same learning point you'll be like "Oh, on UWorld it said to repeat another cytology, I guess that's the right answer" and then boom, there it is as option D.

I excelled on my ITE's because I kept doing MKSAP over and over as I rotated through different blocks. I personally never memorize all 1400 answers so I always learned something.
Thank you! Will start MKSAP again

Why does it matter how well you do on this? Will they hold you back if you score 50th percentile or something?
I am not even sure of that 50th percentile at this time :(
But I just want to do well for the sake of mt own mental health and self esteem. Thank you

I am not even sure of that 50th percentile at this time :(
But I just want to do well for the sake of mt own mental health and self esteem. Thank you

You should probably reevaluate what helps your self esteem. This exam has no bearing on your promotion. It’s just a self assessment exam that has a vague correlation with how you do on the ABIM exam. Just do your best and study for the real thing hard