You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
It’s 2020 now, when will we find out if step 1 is p/f?
Started by sargon2123
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'll tag @Med Ed @aProgDirector since they're more informed on this and can give important insights
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Meh, I am interested. They said they were going to announce in December.
I know, I actual am interested too, but they said they wouldn't implement anything until they allow time for all parties involved to be aware its coming, so if it does fo p/f I don't think it will go into effect for a few year at the soonest, but I could be totally wrong.Meh, I am interested. They said they were going to announce in December.
Winter 2019-20 per their website: United States Medical Licensing Examination | Invitational Conference on USMLE Scoring
Your guess is as good as any.
Your guess is as good as any.
Winter 2019-20 per their website: United States Medical Licensing Examination | Invitational Conference on USMLE Scoring
Thanks for the link. I found this snippet comical, "invitations extended to leaders and subject matter experts from major stakeholder groups. These include but are not limited to... medical students and residents, and the public."

Please drop comments and concern into the collection box below. 😉
I went to one of the NBME update sessions at the most recent AAMC and you hear the groans when they announced that there was nothing to report (yet). The unsubstantiated rumor floating around was that the amount of support for P/F obtained during the open comment period was larger than anticipated. If true (which is a big if), that may have sent them back to the drawing board, which would result in dragging this whole process out even further.
I went to one of the NBME update sessions at the most recent AAMC and you hear the groans when they announced that there was nothing to report (yet). The unsubstantiated rumor floating around was that the amount of support for P/F obtained during the open comment period was larger than anticipated. If true (which is a big if), that may have sent them back to the drawing board, which would result in dragging this whole process out even further.
Let's hope bureaucratic inefficiency wins out for once. At least until I've matched.
Last edited:
If it goes P/F after I've trudged my way through Zanki reviews for 2 years, I'm going to riot.
I doubt anyone currently in med school would be affected. The preliminary timeline they had for changes spanned years.
sargon2123
Full Member
I doubt anyone currently in med school would be affected. The preliminary timeline they had for changes spanned years.
Yeah I’ll just bank on this at this point
So if Step 1 goes P/F are PDs going to start using a sorting hat for residency slots?
Good news, there's an update here: United States Medical Licensing Examination | USMLE Scoring
D
deleted888443
YES FINALLYGood news, there's an update here: United States Medical Licensing Examination | USMLE Scoring
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Great plan. I agree. I could see this making it harder to match derm and ortho, though. This is what progress looks like.Good news, there's an update here: United States Medical Licensing Examination | USMLE Scoring
I'm not so sure, it seem like ortho could actually become easier but derm will defiantly be harderGreat plan. I agree. I could see this making it harder to match derm and ortho, though. This is what progress looks like.
They'll just use Step 2 CK, which will be basically mandatory to apply to a competitive specialty.So if Step 1 goes P/F are PDs going to start using a sorting hat for residency slots?
View attachment 292309
You guys are adorable.
I'm not so sure, it seem like ortho could actually become easier but derm will defiantly be harder
ortho programs will replace Step 1 + bench with bench + squat
ortho programs will replace Step 1 + bench with bench + squat
You really think ortho bros care about legs?
Clearly gonna be bench + 3*curl
You really think ortho bros care about legs?
Clearly gonna be bench + 3*curl
according to dom mazzetti, the modern lifting bro cares about legs.
edit: wow just realized this is from 2015...good lord
You really think ortho bros care about legs?
Clearly gonna be bench + 3*curl
You seriously gonna walk into the OR with chicken legs? Smh
U call those calves bro
You seriously gonna walk into the OR with chicken legs? Smh
The gown covers up all manner of sins.
You really think ortho bros care about legs?
Clearly gonna be bench + 3*curl
6’2 minimum height requirement. Can’t have manlets in ortho
So if Step 1 goes P/F are PDs going to start using a sorting hat for residency slots?
View attachment 292309
This just means that class grades. shelf exams.. rotation evals have more of a say than just the one day board exams.
This just means that class grades. shelf exams.. rotation evals have more of a say than just the one day board exams.
class grades = students knows random PhD content.
rotation evals = student was lucky enough to get the preceptor who gives everyone honors.
shelf exams = assuming your particular school weighs shelf exams highly, sure.
A
AnatomyGrey12
The gown covers up all manner of sins.
We know bro. We can sense the top heavy footsteps entering into the OR.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We know bro. We can sense the top heavy footsteps entering into the OR.
I once met an ortho attending who could tell you skipped leg day just by looking at you in the OR in full PPE. Crazy thing was she was blind.
You seriously are gonna have problems with your ortho apps. Most places use bench*2+OHP*2+squat+DL+Step 1*2. No way you're getting in on toothpicksYou really think ortho bros care about legs?
Clearly gonna be bench + 3*curl
I’m a first year medical student wanting to apply ortho, but I can only bench 115 lbs. Should I spend my free time doing research or weight lifting? Which would be the most high yield?You really think ortho bros care about legs?
Clearly gonna be bench + 3*curl
I’m a first year medical student wanting to apply ortho, but I can only bench 115 lbs. Should I spend my free time doing research or weight lifting? Which would be the most high yield?
Just do what I do. Collect data between sets.
Put these in your Excel columns:
"Number of babes mirin"
"Number of bros mirin"
"Number of nerds I intimidated"
This is extremely high yield.
A
AnatomyGrey12
Just do what I do. Collect data between sets.
Put these in your Excel columns:
"Number of babes mirin"
"Number of bros mirin"
"Number of nerds I intimidated"
This is extremely high yield.
This is the ONLY yield.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 823