It’s 2020 now, when will we find out if step 1 is p/f?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sargon2123

Reaction score
Could the 2021 step 1 be affected?

Members don't see this ad.

1578177408855.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Meh, I am interested. They said they were going to announce in December.
I know, I actual am interested too, but they said they wouldn't implement anything until they allow time for all parties involved to be aware its coming, so if it does fo p/f I don't think it will go into effect for a few year at the soonest, but I could be totally wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I went to one of the NBME update sessions at the most recent AAMC and you hear the groans when they announced that there was nothing to report (yet). The unsubstantiated rumor floating around was that the amount of support for P/F obtained during the open comment period was larger than anticipated. If true (which is a big if), that may have sent them back to the drawing board, which would result in dragging this whole process out even further.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to one of the NBME update sessions at the most recent AAMC and you hear the groans when they announced that there was nothing to report (yet). The unsubstantiated rumor floating around was that the amount of support for P/F obtained during the open comment period was larger than anticipated. If true (which is a big if), that may have sent them back to the drawing board, which would result in dragging this whole process out even further.

Let's hope bureaucratic inefficiency wins out for once. At least until I've matched.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
If it goes P/F after I've trudged my way through Zanki reviews for 2 years, I'm going to riot.

• Haha
Reactions: 24 users
So if Step 1 goes P/F are PDs going to start using a sorting hat for residency slots?

1578685030768.png

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Great plan. I agree. I could see this making it harder to match derm and ortho, though. This is what progress looks like.
I'm not so sure, it seem like ortho could actually become easier but derm will defiantly be harder

Reactions: 4 users
You really think ortho bros care about legs?

Clearly gonna be bench + 3*curl

according to dom mazzetti, the modern lifting bro cares about legs.

edit: wow just realized this is from 2015...good lord

Reactions: 3 users
This just means that class grades. shelf exams.. rotation evals have more of a say than just the one day board exams.

class grades = students knows random PhD content.

rotation evals = student was lucky enough to get the preceptor who gives everyone honors.

shelf exams = assuming your particular school weighs shelf exams highly, sure.

You really think ortho bros care about legs?

Clearly gonna be bench + 3*curl
I’m a first year medical student wanting to apply ortho, but I can only bench 115 lbs. Should I spend my free time doing research or weight lifting? Which would be the most high yield?

• Haha
I’m a first year medical student wanting to apply ortho, but I can only bench 115 lbs. Should I spend my free time doing research or weight lifting? Which would be the most high yield?

Just do what I do. Collect data between sets.
Put these in your Excel columns:

"Number of babes mirin"
"Number of bros mirin"
"Number of nerds I intimidated"

This is extremely high yield.

Just do what I do. Collect data between sets.
Put these in your Excel columns:

"Number of babes mirin"
"Number of bros mirin"
"Number of nerds I intimidated"

This is extremely high yield.

This is the ONLY yield.