MD & DO It's been a year, anyone know updates with Amir Al Dabaagh (Case Western) and Anjali Rankissoon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to avoid the AR pile-ons that are going on with that girl, but if she indeed is practicing psychiatry that's 2 fired residents now practicing psychiatry as non-board-eligible MDs that I've learned about from these forums in the last 2 days. It's a little disturbing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
This was my understanding. So the question becomes: Did he somehow get it back?

I have absolutely no idea! I’ve done some of my best digging to no avail.

His case was won at the district court level, degree granted, lost on appeal and Supreme Court declined to hear the case. All I can figure is this: while CWRU has the right to revoke his degree, they may not have actually done so. Either way, such record would not be public.

Searching his NPI number just brings up old sites from before the trial and I see nothing on those aggregator sites like where my own education stuff shows up including some crappy reviews about “me” that were written while I was a med student in another state. Apparently I share a name with another doc here. Anyhow, surprising there’s nothing showing up.

A search of Michigan’s license verification site shows two licenses for Amir - an educational medical license from 2017-18 and a pharmacy license. Not sure what to make of that in light of his appearing on the residency page.
Edit: I think the pharmacy thing is for prescribing controlled substances.

Clearly his family connection at that hospital is the only reason he’s there since I would imagine nobody else wants any part of that. I see only a limited number of possibilities:
1) degree never formally revoked
2) another degree obtained from overseas
3) some loophole in the law allowed him to get a license anyhow. He clearly has financial and legal resources so if there’s a loophole I would imagine he could find it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm trying to avoid the AR pile-ons that are going on with that girl, but if she indeed is practicing psychiatry that's 2 fired residents now practicing psychiatry as non-board-eligible MDs that I've learned about from these forums in the last 2 days. It's a little disturbing.
Yeah it's just kind of unsettling how the psych board doesn't keep a tighter grip on who's allowed to advertise themselves as a member of the profession whose quality and standards they worked so hard to establish. They just shouldn't allow this kind of stuff. I mean this girl should be seeing a psychiatrist not being one. Ah well I can't imagine anyone's referring to her, and judging from her patient reviews she'll be run out of medicine one way or another eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it's just kind of unsettling how the psych board doesn't keep a tighter grip on who's allowed to advertise themselves as a member of the profession whose quality and standards they worked so hard to establish. They just shouldn't allow this kind of stuff. I mean this girl should be seeing a psychiatrist not being one. Ah well I can't imagine anyone's referring to her, and judging from her patient reviews she'll be run out of medicine one way or another eventually.

If she's not board certified in psych, there's not really much the psych board could do about it. Technically she could legally do surgery in the state of Florida if someone was stupid enough to allow her to perform it on them and she could somehow get access to a surgical suite since she's a licensed physician. In reality it's got nothing to do with the specialty boards, it has to do with the state Board of Healing Arts allowing her to be licensed at all.

Who is the other one? Is it in the malpractice thread?

I find that people who have gone through really difficult things in life or are judged harshly tend to become the most empathetic and carrying people because they've gone through it themselves. They understand it better. She's been heavily scrutinized online and in the media about something she did, she understands better than anyone to show empathy during someone's trying/difficult time.

I hate how people on the internet assume a "holier than thou" mentality like they've never done a single bad thing in their lives. Just because she had that incident happen doesn't mean she didn't learn from it/grow from it/develop from it. Doctors are human and aren't static characters that can't change. Who knows, maybe she's an amazing therapist and makes amazing, positive impact on her patient's lives.

Didn’t she cuss out an Uber driver or something?

Yeah he had it taken away and lost his derm residency for it. You can't practice/ train in a residency without a MD. So how the hell is this guy in a residency? Like I said, I bet a foreign school 'honored'
his work at Case and made him take a course or two and printed him a MD. All for a nice donation er ah...I mean tuition.

Reactions: 1 user

You have thousands of nurse practitioners and psychologists practicing psychiatry but fired residents are somehow a nono?

Reactions: 11 users
AR is hot...heard it here first.

Didn’t she cuss out an Uber driver or something?

Physically assaulted and then tried to flee from the cops*

You have thousands of nurse practitioners and psychologists practicing psychiatry but fired residents are somehow a nono?

When they have no training in psychiatry after their M3 year, it's absolutely a no-no. I'd rather see a psychologist, at least they've got more than a 4 week education in the field.

Members don't see this ad :)

When they have no training in psychiatry after their M3 year, it's absolutely a no-no. I'd rather see a psychologist, at least they've got more than a 4 week education in the field.
To be fair, neurologists have some training in psych. And she was a few months away from finishing residency... If FNP are doing it, why can't she?

Right. So she didn't go through something really difficult in her life is my point. She punched a cab driver and ran from the police. She played stupid games and won stupid prizes. It would be different if she just made a dumb mistake, but it sounds like she's just an arse.

To be fair, neurologists have some training in psych. And she was a few months away from finishing residency... If FNP are doing it, why can't she?

Of course the other one I was referencing was booted from a psychiatry residency during PG2 for being dangerously incompetent.

Just because FNPs are doing it doesn't mean she should be, as FNPs shouldn't be doing it either imo.

Was she anygood?
She was hoottttt

She was actually very nice and listened to my concerns for ~15 mins jotting notes on her iPad and stuff and was thorough with some psych stuff. I think she's really trying to improve her image after that disastrous incident a couple years ago.

"I left her office feeling like she was an entitled little spoiled brat. She cared more about her cell phone that was going off nonstop with which ever man she was going to be pleasing that evening. PLEASE AVOID THIS WOMAN. She does not care about her patients!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
lmao thats such BS, either it's someone who hates her due to that incident, or some crazy patient (a lot of patients that came into the office were quite loopy, justifying the medical practice lol).

Just wanna point out that she says in an interview that her father had been a trucker but is out-of-work due to a disability and that her mother was a secretary. Not sure whether that's true...

Anyone have an update on Amir Al Dabaagh? How is he able to be in a residency without a valid medical degree? Did he "earn" one over seas really quick? I feel like if I contacted the hospital they would legally have to tell me unless they are hiding something.

I'm more interested in the fate of Eugene Gu!
His contract got non-renewed so he's definitely no longer a resident. Last I saw on his Twitter he was attempting to gather sympathy to find a new gig.

Probably the worst article I've seen on KevinMD in a few years: A physician was fired for standing up for his beliefs

There's a lot more news posts out there about him recently, but none with a more current update than that. My favorite is probably Vanderbilt's last statement on him:

https://vanderbilthealth.com/main/52821
Dr. Gu’s repeated assertions that he was disciplined, or that his residency program contract was not renewed, because of his political or social views are simply untrue. Dr. Gu’s public opposition to President Trump, participation in litigation against President Trump and public advocacy against racism were not the bases for decisions relating to his continued participation in VUMC’s surgery residency program.

The VUMC Community includes persons holding many diverse personal, political and social views, and we welcome all individuals who are interested in on-going career development in a caring, professional and culturally sensitive atmosphere.

The professional progress of surgical residents at VUMC, including Dr. Gu, is evaluated through on-going formal and informal processes. This includes frequent verbal feedback from attending physicians and colleagues during clinical rotations, written performance evaluations, and review of each resident’s performance on the annual American Board of Surgery In-Service Training Exam, a multiple choice exam designed to measure the progress attained by residents in their knowledge of applied science and management of clinical problems related to surgery.

VUMC believes the processes used to evaluate its surgery residents are fair and equitable and that those processes have been fairly and appropriately administered in Dr. Gu’s case.

All matters affecting a resident’s continued participation in VUMC’s residency program are communicated to the affected resident in writing. That includes Dr. Gu, who has been given written notice of all actions relating to his continuation in VUMC’s residency program as well as the bases for those actions.

It is not VUMC’s practice to discuss publicly the specifics of the performance of any resident. However, there is nothing that precludes Dr. Gu from sharing those details, and we encourage any media representative with interest in the underlying facts of his situation to ask that Dr. Gu provide complete and unedited copies of all correspondence from VUMC relating to his status and/or continuation in VUMC’s surgery residency, or alternatively that he specifically consent to allow VUMC to do so.

Last edited:
His contract got non-renewed so he's definitely no longer a resident. Last I saw on his Twitter he was attempting to gather sympathy to find a new gig.

Probably the worst article I've seen on KevinMD in a few years: A physician was fired for standing up for his beliefs
He attacked his attending on twitter while employed as a resident. Hope he can find a way to complete his education, but am definitely not surprised Vandy wanted to rid themselves of him, despite certainly knowing that his dismissal would cause negative publicity for the program. He sent out a tweet seeking a surgery residency position in Puerto Rico.

Last edited:
Looking at Eugene's CV I'm very skeptical he had performance issues. More likely his outspoken views ticked more than one attending off leading to bad evals. Perhaps he talked too openly about his views within the hospital. Of course his evals wouldn't mention that as a reason and they would just say he was not performing well. If he matched at Vandy surgery he more than likely had an above average MSPE with likely no red flags.

Last edited:
Looking at Eugene's CV I'm very skeptical he had performance issues. More likely his outspoken views ticked more than one attending off leading to bad evals. Perhaps he talked too openly about his views within the hospital. Of course his evals wouldn't mention that as a reason and they would just say he was not performing well. If he matched at Vandy surgery he more than likely had an above average MSPE with likely no red flags.
From what I could tell in earlier discussions, he broke his employer's social media policy multiple times, continuing after multiple warning. He tweeted about an assault that was proven false and innocent fellow residents were harassed by his followers. There was also something about drinking milk meant for patients, then blaming the criticism on racism. He created an environment where his colleagues couldn't trust his judgement, imho.

Reactions: 8 users

Matching at Vandy says very little about potential major performance issues. People get let go even at the most competitive programs. The match process is hardly perfect.

Reactions: 7 users
Looking at his social media and actual media appearances for the last two years, I'm not skeptical at all.
I think the only way a program hires him is if he deletes his entire social media presence until graduation (which I assume he wouldn’t do). Otherwise he’s just a guaranteed distraction.

I hope he ends up flipping burgers for the rest of his life while impotently tweeting his loony beliefs to an ever shrinking following. Man is it satisfying to see bad things happen to bad people hahahahaha!:diebanana:

I hope he ends up flipping burgers for the rest of his life while impotently tweeting his loony beliefs to an ever shrinking following. Man is it satisfying to see bad things happen to bad people hahahahaha!:diebanana:

Schadenfreude

Speak of the devil...check this thread out.

ETA: Gomerblog just posted a summary of what happened, ZDoggMD also has a video on his Facebook page - https://gomerblog.com/2018/07/eugene-gu/?utm_source=TW&utm_campaign=DIRECT

Basically, he allegedly met a medical student on Twitter and they began meeting up in person and dating. He would constantly ask her to retweet him to gain popularity, constantly talked about how he wanted more followers. Her descriptions of things that happened when they met in person sound a lot like sexual assault. He also had a fake twitter account where he pretended to be a female ENT resident. He used this account to retweet himself and bolster his own popularity, but also messaged this student under the guise of trying to mentor her...but then went on and on about how amazing Gu was and how she was going to start dating him, essentially to make the student jealous. Notably, as soon as this med student IDed the fake account as being Gu, the account was deleted.

Tl;dr - A medical student who used to date Gu has accused him of harassing and sexually assaulting her, and just being generally a creep.

When I see stories and things like this, I'm always like, who has the time and mental capacity to catfish someone like that, especially when you're in a super busy profession lol.

what about his beliefs are "loony"? does advocating for justice make someone a bad person?

ETA: Gomerblog just posted a summary of what happened, ZDoggMD also has a video on his Facebook page - https://gomerblog.com/2018/07/eugene-gu/?utm_source=TW&utm_campaign=DIRECT

Basically, he allegedly met a medical student on Twitter and they began meeting up in person and dating. He would constantly ask her to retweet him to gain popularity, constantly talked about how he wanted more followers. Her descriptions of things that happened when they met in person sound a lot like sexual assault. He also had a fake twitter account where he pretended to be a female ENT resident. He used this account to retweet himself and bolster his own popularity, but also messaged this student under the guise of trying to mentor her...but then went on and on about how amazing Gu was and how she was going to start dating him, essentially to make the student jealous. Notably, as soon as this med student IDed the fake account as being Gu, the account was deleted.

Tl;dr - A medical student who used to date Gu has accused him of harassing and sexually assaulting her, and just being generally a creep.

This is absolute insanity, great find.

Reactions: 4 users
When I see stories and things like this, I'm always like, who has the time and mental capacity to catfish someone like that, especially when you're in a super busy profession lol.
i think he got fired recently

Gonna need pics

Just pretend for a moment that everything in the gomerblog is true about Eugene...can some of our psychiatrist colleagues make a diagnosis? And screw the Goldwater rule!

Just pretend for a moment that everything in the gomerblog is true about Eugene...can some of our psychiatrist colleagues make a diagnosis? And screw the Goldwater rule!

I've been saying narcissist for a while. That's probably the root of it.

*legal disclaimer that this opinion is not in any way meant as a medical diagnosis, advise, or treatment... blah blah blah.

Reactions: 7 users
Several states do not require completion or even participation in residency a requirement to become licensed by the state. The only universal requirements I'm aware of are completion of medical school and passing all 3 Step/Level exams.

Every state requires at least 1 year of post graduate training.

FSMB | State-Specific Requirements For Initial Medical Licensure

Also, you do not need to complete residency to be reimbursed by Medicare or Medicaid.

"General practioner".

You don't need to finish residency to get licensed. Just 1-3 years, depending on what state you're from and where you went to med school. And anyone with a license can legally practice medicine. They probably can't get hospital privileges anywhere and many insurance companies won't contract with them, but medicare will.

In 30-some odd states, US MD graduates with 1 year of residency (any residency) can hang up a shingle and open a primary care practice. It's an awful idea, but perfectly legal.
Still better than a mid-level?

Still better than a mid-level?
Maybe. Midlevels are trained with the intention of practicing with minimal extra education and even still usually practice in a supervised environment once they start. A "general practitioner" might have had a year of residency - but all that typically prepares you for is another year of residency.

It's one thing to do urgent care and lyse some abscesses. Surgical anything is going to be another story.

/and I've already said my issue with these rejects going into psychiatry.
I don't understand your statement... Are you disagreeing with my clarification of licensing requirements? I never commented on what level of education or training is required to be a competent physician, which is what you are commenting on.

While I agree with the sentiment, I'd rather see a solid MD student who got canned because of some lame professionalism concern (translation: he has some minor unresolved psych issue and he pissed off important people) than 8/10 PAs.

ain't that the most allo board response to this issue ever...

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.