It's official Goucher Sucks too!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

businessmd06

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the same reasons as Bryn Mawr.

Word to the wise - for those of you who are career changers, and have worked for more than 5 years in another field. YOU BETTER be willing to leave your career a year early so you can volunteer, and get your hands dirty. If you only have 40 hours of shadowing, are a VP of your condo board, and have built homes for habitat for humanity you will not make it.

BM and Goucher are not for true career professional changers. They are for recent grads, who have all the time in the world to volunteer, with very little responsibility or cachet to give up in order to go the medical route.
:laugh:

please take into consideration this post uses some generalizations 🙂
 
I know you're upset right now, so don't take this personally, but I do want to jump in here, because this is the internet and for some reason people seem to take things on this board to heart.

I was 7 years out of college, about to be married, and in the middle of another career when I was accepted to Goucher and Bryn Mawr. At the time I had only about two months of experience volunteering in an ER, plus a few one-time shadowing experiences. A number of my classmates at Goucher had similar histories, as do other people I know who attended the Bryn Mawr program. I know for a fact that both of these programs do like career changers, and you don't have to have been a 10 year volunteer to get in to them.

There are a lot of reasons why you may not have been invited to interview at these programs: maybe your GPA was lower than the other applicants they're seeing; maybe you had a bad letter of rec; maybe your essay didn't convince them. I don't know what the reasons are, and neither do you.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Good luck.
 
I sort of take offense at the generalization that you make about recent graduates. You're right I don't make a ton of money at a business job, but I certainly work very hard. I live in New York City, and I don't have what you would probably consider a "respectable job." But I work over 50 hours most weeks, in order to afford to live here. And I have many other obligations outside of work. This makes it tough for me to find time to volunteer as well, and I don't use my career as an excuse not to do so. Your background in business gives you no advantage in medicine, and I don't believe it should. It has nothing to do with medicine. I think any graduate who has been out in the real world for even a short period of time regardless of what kind of job they have understands what it's like to take on responsibilities as an adult. If you don't have a very successful job, it does not neccessarily mean that you aren't making sacrifices to pursue medicine. It's never an easy decision to spend many years in school and to go from making money to aquiring large amounts of debt. I don't think it's a decision anyone would take lightly regardless of what kind of job they have or how long they have been out of school. I think the bottom line is, you need a good gpa, good standardized test scores, and some medical background. These are the things that impress admissions, not business. I do not think I should be viewed as an inferior candidate for school because I have not spent 10 years in business, and I don't think anyone else should imply that either. I"m sorry that you did not have success at these schools but I don't think you should state that you are a better candidate for school than recent graduates. You have obviously been successful so far with your career, so I'm sure you'll find a way to be successful even without acceptance to these schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sort of take offense at the generalization that you make about recent graduates. You're right I don't make a ton of money at a business job, but I certainly work very hard. I live in New York City, and I don't have what you would probably consider a "respectable job."

Let me reiterate that I even stated in my messages that I am making some generalizations. The simple point I am making is that BM & Goucher do not in my opinion cater to career changers who have not been able to volunteer out the rear end. Furthermore, and this may not be you, but many people who have graduated, and are working what they consider a "menial" job pursue medicine because they think it will bring them the following:

Esteem
Respect
Enough money to comfortably liver
The ability to do something meaningful

It is far easier to leave a career that you yourself view as menial, or non respectful to enter into a career in medicine. The upside, even if you incur debt for several years is still larger than your current situation.

My situation simply highlights that there is a far less upside, and that should also show my commitment to pursue medicine


Your background in business gives you no advantage in medicine, and I don't believe it should. It has nothing to do with medicine.

I think you are way off base here. One of the problems with today's doctors is that they went straight through from undergrad and they did not receive enough education in the business world. I have spoken to many who feel that their business acumen is low and that if they were more business savvy they could have better practices.

It makes since that doc's do not have a lot of business knowledge because they are knee deep in **** for 8 years, however, possessing a business background does give me a distinct advantage. I can help the next generation of MD's fight for the rights in the financial world against HMO's. I can use my knowledge to run a streamlined practice that can effectivly see more patients at a lower cost. I can share my knowledge with other collegues to help build succesfull practices.

Medicine IS a business, and for you to say that business has nothing to do with medicine you are very mistaken.

If you don't have a very successful job, it does not neccessarily mean that you aren't making sacrifices to pursue medicine. It's never an easy decision to spend many years in school and to go from making money to aquiring large amounts of debt. I don't think it's a decision anyone would take lightly regardless of what kind of job they have or how long they have been out of school.

I never said that these people whom you reference above do not make sacrifices. Medicine is a sacrifice for each person individually. I just made the comment that some people feel they are stuck with a dead end career, or feel lost b/c they are not doing something with their degree. If you are one of those people the choice seems a bit easier to swallow.


The point of these threads was to voice my concern on the admissions process at two places that have a very high interest and regard in terms of Post Bacs. I do not expect everyone to see it my way, but I am not the only one who feels that these post bacs are geared towards a certain group of people. I was accepted to NYU and Columbia, but will most likely go to Rutgers. I do not think those schools have enough people linking to justify the cost. BM and Goucher are worth it if you get in for the simple reason you can link at a very high rate.
 
So I am supposed to believe that because I have a so-called menial career my dedication and desire to pursue medicine was an easier one? Because I don't have a large salary to give up I am less dedicated to the decision? I'm sure it is hard for you to give your cushy lifestyle, and I'm sure you are making a lot of sacrifices. All I'm trying to say is your situation is not unique, we all make sacrifices, and you shouldn't assume yours is a bigger one. You shouldn't whine to everyone that a school did not except on the merits that you have a successful business career. Every job has it's unique strengths to add to their career in medicine. I do work really hard, I'm sure you do as well. But my career choice was a conscious one and not one I regret, it allowed me to pursue other endeavors. You're not the only one who has to make sacrifices. Though I work hard, and don't make as much money, I like my life. I pursue medicine because I know I need more. It is a sacrifice, but I don't plan on whining to everyone online about a particular school when it doesn't accept me. I may not be what every school is looking for, and I can accept that. It doesn't seem like you can accept it.
 
I think I may know why they didn't accept you at these schools.
 
You all are only reading what you want to see. The point of this post was that BM and Goucher do not necessarily cater to the typical business career changer. They also have a skewed admissions process where they do not even review applications. I also stated at the beginning that I was using some generalizations. If all you see in these posts is whining so be it. Personally I thought higher of these two schools than I think they deserve. Ultimatly I do not think they cater to the majority of people trying to go back to school. I feel they are looking for people from certain universities, with certain EC's and LOR. In the end I want a program diverse, and one who looks at the whole candidate.

To each their own... in regards to your post NYC - I said nothing about your career that you did not say in previous posts. I simply made a point that if you felt your career was menial / non respectful, it may make it that much easier to go to a career that means something and should be respected. You do not need to make a lot of money to have a meaningful or respectful career, and it is not about money. It is about how you view your current career, versus how you view a career in medicine. I wish you the best in everything you do, and I have no doubt you have worked very hard to get were you are today.

This does not mean that schools like BM and Goucher do not profile for a certain type of candidate.
 
Maybe I am only reading what I want to see. I saw the title "It's official Goucher sucks too" and I took that to be whining. My mistake I guess.
 
Or maybe they really do 🙂


There was more to the forum than just the title. I also notice you did not respond to your original point that being a success in business means nothing in medicine. Maybe this forum has allowed you to see how it could be a benefit, and allowed me to see what I did not do in the end to get in to Goucher....

That is the point after all 🙂
 
i just graduated and to say that i have very little responsibility/lots of free time is ridiculous. BECAUSE i have a sucktacular job, i have to work 40 hours, plus overtime and saturdays and a long ass commute, just to pay the minimum on my loans and credit cards from college. if i could spend 40 hours a week volunteering in a hospital i would, but i can't. i am trying to volunteer as much as i can (which so far, is not at all because the nut at the hospital who's in charge is out of town) and i want to go to goucher but i realize that not having more experience may rule me out. so i am trying to make up for that in as many ways as i can before i apply. its especially difficult because i cant figure out how i am supposed to shadow when i am working when most doc's offices are closed. but, i am going to try to find a way. and yeah, a lot of people wont get into goucher or bryn mawr. maybe a lack of experience is enough to screw over your app completely. i'll let you know when they reject or dont reject me. but i am sure that at least to an extent, attitude is also a part of it. and i dont think an overblown sense of entitlement is going to get anybody anywhere.
 
Nobody said they were entitled to anything. I simply stated my view on the admissions process and BM and Goucher. I simply stated that they did not care about a "career changers" career, and to that end if you are a success in your current career do not bank on that meaning anything to the admissions people at these little schools. That was the root point of this forum. Not that I was anymore entitled to admission than anyone else. If I feel they are flawed it is my feeling, and the reason that these boards exist. We are here to share our *opinions*. The fact is many career changer oriented post bac do weigh heavily your current or past accomplishments in your choosen profession. Many schools like to see that you succeeded in whatever you did prior to post bac / med school. BM and Goucher do not care "as told to me by the directors" and I thought career changers should know.
 
First of all stop whinning. Second of all tone down the ego a smidgen. I guarantee there is more to your rejection than not being able to volunteer enough. Maybe in your interview or essays or whatevery you had to do, you came off as self-important as you did in this tread. Great, you are giving up a well paying job. Super you are the director of sales in a fortune 100 company, In what way does that qualify you for medicine? Honestly, do you realize how low on the rank of importance, buisiness acumen is to an Adcom? The adcoms are excellent at sniffing people out who are not quite ready for med school or in this case post-bacs. Take it as a lesson for when you apply to med school.


You probably came off like this guy

http://www.thephatphree.com/features.asp?StoryID=239&SectionID=11&LayoutType=1
 
Most students accepted to medical school do not have a business background, and it does not play as large of a factor into getting into medical school with or without it- maybe if you were applying for a MBA/MD program yes, but for this discussion's purposes, I would say no. What do they look for? Grades, MCAT, Clinical Experience, Volunteer experience. Granted the latter two may be had in greater magnitudes by more recent grads, or undergrads because their priorities were markedly different than yours, and understandably so, since you've been working. But until you demonstrate those specific qualifications (clinical+volunteer), to mirror what a successful candidate looks like, than it may be hard to get into those postbac programs which boast a high med acceptance rate. I've met plenty of career changers, and there are, in fact, a few in my program, all of which were succesful. However, none of these career changers were "step on the brakes, pull a 180, go right into a postbac, and then into medical school". Most of them had to start from scratch, volunteering, then moving up to some research, then getting into a postbac. Career changer is a bit misleading, as it is a career changer, but it makes more sense to call it a "career transitioner". The above poster, Pemulis, managed to get into both programs, so automatically writing off BM and Goucher may be a bit misleading. He serves as an example where you don't necessarily have to bank your acceptance totally on a specific type of student/individual with alot of volunteering under your belt. Give those guys a call and see where your application lacked, take to heart what they are, and improve upon them.
 
First of all stop whinning. Second of all tone down the ego a smidgen. I guarantee there is more to your rejection than not being able to volunteer enough. Maybe in your interview or essays or whatevery you had to do, you came off as self-important as you did in this tread. Great, you are giving up a well paying job. Super you are the director of sales in a fortune 100 company, In what way does that qualify you for medicine? Honestly, do you realize how low on the rank of importance, buisiness acumen is to an Adcom? The adcoms are excellent at sniffing people out who are not quite ready for med school or in this case post-bacs. Take it as a lesson for when you apply to med school.

Without this turning into a flame thread I will try to take the higher road. This is NOT about complaining, it is simply a VIEWPOINT on BM and Goucher. I am not telling people they need to agree, I am just sharing my experience with them.

My wife is a PHD in Molecular Bio at Columbia. My 2 sister, and my brother in law are residents. I have volunteered in medical clinics, and built one in a third world country albeit 10 years ago for that. I am very aware of what it takes to succeed in medicine. I am also aware of the pitfalls associated with this route. I was an MSIS grad, I took advanced math, stat, probability, it is not like I am not used to a more rigourous type of course. This has nothing to do with my abilities or whining. This also is not about being self important, I personally value what I have accomplished and I want to go to a program that values that too!

This is why Columbia accepted me - they have a very high matriculation to medical school for those that do not leave the program. I am assuming this is why NYU, Drexel, and Rutgers Post Bac also did.

I value my accomplishments, and I feel that my background will help me someday as it is harder and harder to run profitable practices especially when doctors have no business acumen.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that this was a learning experience about why I did not get in - I also mentioned that this was the point of the threads to begin with.

For someone who is telling me to get off the high horse, you sure are playing a very similar game with your low handed remarks, and web links.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some people take rejection very well and some don’t! You've figured out what program you want to pursue. So great for you...move on! Don't demoralize other programs in the process. If ADCOMs had reps that actually monitor this site (i.e. some medical students seat on committee and are also members of SDN), they clearly would be disgusted by the way you’re taking this and pretty happy that they made the right choice, plus you told all your business so they defiantly would figure it out. It takes more than a businessman and good grades to be a doctor...where does your passion really lie? Would you blow up at a patient like this if they decided they do not want your medical advice anymore because they feel you are no longer a competent doctor?
 
I'd say it's pretty obvious he got rejected based on his condescending attitude, not his grades. Flame away, but it's pretty obvious and I know [for a fact] many on this forum would agree with my guess.

Good grades, a record of medical involvement and a general attitude of humility are impressive to any admissions committee. Coming across as a self-important business man who appears to have a sense of entitlement and then proceeds to bash the programs that've rejected him surely does not impress anybody.

This is coming from a "non-traditional" business pre-med.
 
For the same reasons as Bryn Mawr.

Word to the wise - for those of you who are career changers, and have worked for more than 5 years in another field. YOU BETTER be willing to leave your career a year early so you can volunteer, and get your hands dirty. If you only have 40 hours of shadowing, are a VP of your condo board, and have built homes for habitat for humanity you will not make it.

BM and Goucher are not for true career professional changers. They are for recent grads, who have all the time in the world to volunteer, with very little responsibility or cachet to give up in order to go the medical route.
:laugh:

please take into consideration this post uses some generalizations 🙂


I am going to jump in on the side of businessmd06 here.

I had a similiar experience when applying at Tufts' post-bacc program, which also happens to be my alma mater. One would think that having graduated from Tufts and having very good recommendations from Science Faculty at Tufts would have helped me, but that was not the case.

I spent nearly 7 years in computers/IT consulting when I wanted to change careers. I had made amazing progress in my career and had demonstrated all of the qualities that make you successful in life and as a physician: leadership qualities, project management, effective communication skills, etc.

However, during my interview there, the women just simply could not understand why I hadn't been volunteering every weekend for a year prior to my application to their post-bacc. When I very calmly explained to her that my travel schedule for work, which frequently involved weekends, prevented me from committing to a rigid volunteering schedule that many hospitals required, she showed no sympathy. She even implied I should leave my job completely, do extensive volunteering, and then apply. I wanted to explain to her that financially it was impossible for me to do so, but I realized at that point that I would never change her mind.

At the interview, I chatted with other students. All were young, 1-2 years out of school, and were spending all of their time volunteering and padding their applications to post-bacc programs. They apparently didn't need to work in order to pay rent, buy food, etc. While I don't know if these students were accepted or not, they certainly looked very happy when they left the interview.

I could go on and on about this, but I won't. But when I read businessmd's post, it sounded exactly like my experience.

To generalize, the deck is stacked against people like myself. No matter how successful you are in your other career, no matter how many of your accomplishments are directly relevant for medical/dental school, if you don't meet the very narrow criteria set out by these Adcoms, you are dead in the water. After my rejection letter from the Tufts post-bacc program, that was crystal clear. I guess I should have quit my job, gone on welfare so that I could volunteer fulll time for a year, and then apply again to Tufts?

And in case anyone is wondering, I am currently a second year dental student and have had some amazing experiences with patients. Want to know how much my volunteer experience has helped me with my patient care? No impact at all! Want to know how much my prior business experience (the same experience that was practically laughed at by Tufts) has helped me with my patient care? All of it! I use all of the interpersonal and communications skills that I developed during my business career all the time in clinic.

To all the people who are in businessmd's predicament, just get through it, and realize that volunteering really doesn't mean anything. When I chat with the med students at my school, especially the M3s and M4s, they all mention that the volunteering/peace corps etc. is a bunch of b.s. So don't let the Adcoms at these post-bacc programs deter you. I didn't let them deter me, and I'm loving every minute of my patient care here at dental school. Good luck.
 
I am going to jump in on the side of businessmd06 here.

I had a similiar experience when applying at Tufts' post-bacc program, which also happens to be my alma mater. One would think that having graduated from Tufts and having very good recommendations from Science Faculty at Tufts would have helped me, but that was not the case.

I spent nearly 7 years in computers/IT consulting when I wanted to change careers. I had made amazing progress in my career and had demonstrated all of the qualities that make you successful in life and as a physician: leadership qualities, project management, effective communication skills, etc.

However, during my interview there, the women just simply could not understand why I hadn't been volunteering every weekend for a year prior to my application to their post-bacc. When I very calmly explained to her that my travel schedule for work, which frequently involved weekends, prevented me from committing to a rigid volunteering schedule that many hospitals required, she showed no sympathy. She even implied I should leave my job completely, do extensive volunteering, and then apply. I wanted to explain to her that financially it was impossible for me to do so, but I realized at that point that I would never change her mind.

At the interview, I chatted with other students. All were young, 1-2 years out of school, and were spending all of their time volunteering and padding their applications to post-bacc programs. They apparently didn't need to work in order to pay rent, buy food, etc. While I don't know if these students were accepted or not, they certainly looked very happy when they left the interview.

I could go on and on about this, but I won't. But when I read businessmd's post, it sounded exactly like my experience.

To generalize, the deck is stacked against people like myself. No matter how successful you are in your other career, no matter how many of your accomplishments are directly relevant for medical/dental school, if you don't meet the very narrow criteria set out by these Adcoms, you are dead in the water. After my rejection letter from the Tufts post-bacc program, that was crystal clear. I guess I should have quit my job, gone on welfare so that I could volunteer fulll time for a year, and then apply again to Tufts?

And in case anyone is wondering, I am currently a second year dental student and have had some amazing experiences with patients. Want to know how much my volunteer experience has helped me with my patient care? No impact at all! Want to know how much my prior business experience (the same experience that was practically laughed at by Tufts) has helped me with my patient care? All of it! I use all of the interpersonal and communications skills that I developed during my business career all the time in clinic.

To all the people who are in businessmd's predicament, just get through it, and realize that volunteering really doesn't mean anything. When I chat with the med students at my school, especially the M3s and M4s, they all mention that the volunteering/peace corps etc. is a bunch of b.s. So don't let the Adcoms at these post-bacc programs deter you. I didn't let them deter me, and I'm loving every minute of my patient care here at dental school. Good luck.

Thanks for the support. Even if you would not have agreed with me, at least you saw the real reason behind the post. The reason was not to whine as the flamers on here would like to think. It was not to be condescending, or to say I was superior. It was a point of view that people who have been out of school 5-7+ years, and have worked and been successful in another field will not get much support from stuffy post bac schools. That was the opinion of the post, and I am going to leave it at that. If people would research all 80 some of my posts on here you would see a thoughtful, non assuming person looking for and taking advise.... then again people only see and read what they want to.
 
I am going to jump in on the side of businessmd06 here.

I had a similiar experience when applying at Tufts' post-bacc program, which also happens to be my alma mater. One would think that having graduated from Tufts and having very good recommendations from Science Faculty at Tufts would have helped me, but that was not the case.

I spent nearly 7 years in computers/IT consulting when I wanted to change careers. I had made amazing progress in my career and had demonstrated all of the qualities that make you successful in life and as a physician: leadership qualities, project management, effective communication skills, etc.

However, during my interview there, the women just simply could not understand why I hadn't been volunteering every weekend for a year prior to my application to their post-bacc. When I very calmly explained to her that my travel schedule for work, which frequently involved weekends, prevented me from committing to a rigid volunteering schedule that many hospitals required, she showed no sympathy. She even implied I should leave my job completely, do extensive volunteering, and then apply. I wanted to explain to her that financially it was impossible for me to do so, but I realized at that point that I would never change her mind.

At the interview, I chatted with other students. All were young, 1-2 years out of school, and were spending all of their time volunteering and padding their applications to post-bacc programs. They apparently didn't need to work in order to pay rent, buy food, etc. While I don't know if these students were accepted or not, they certainly looked very happy when they left the interview.

I could go on and on about this, but I won't. But when I read businessmd's post, it sounded exactly like my experience.

To generalize, the deck is stacked against people like myself. No matter how successful you are in your other career, no matter how many of your accomplishments are directly relevant for medical/dental school, if you don't meet the very narrow criteria set out by these Adcoms, you are dead in the water. After my rejection letter from the Tufts post-bacc program, that was crystal clear. I guess I should have quit my job, gone on welfare so that I could volunteer fulll time for a year, and then apply again to Tufts?

And in case anyone is wondering, I am currently a second year dental student and have had some amazing experiences with patients. Want to know how much my volunteer experience has helped me with my patient care? No impact at all! Want to know how much my prior business experience (the same experience that was practically laughed at by Tufts) has helped me with my patient care? All of it! I use all of the interpersonal and communications skills that I developed during my business career all the time in clinic.

To all the people who are in businessmd's predicament, just get through it, and realize that volunteering really doesn't mean anything. When I chat with the med students at my school, especially the M3s and M4s, they all mention that the volunteering/peace corps etc. is a bunch of b.s. So don't let the Adcoms at these post-bacc programs deter you. I didn't let them deter me, and I'm loving every minute of my patient care here at dental school. Good luck.

Thanks for the support. Even if you would not have agreed with me, at least you saw the real reason behind the post. The reason was not to whine as the flamers on here would like to think. It was not to be condescending, or to say I was superior. It was a point of view that people who have been out of school 5-7+ years, and have worked and been successful in another field will not get much support from stuffy post bac schools. That was the opinion of the post, and I am going to leave it at that. If people would research all 80 some of my posts on here you would see a thoughtful, non assuming person looking for and taking advise.... then again people only see and read what they want to.

On another note - Business skills, where you are constantly involved with clients (sales) or other people (consulting) is an excellent way to build proper interpersonal skills. One rule of business is to understand your clients needs, understand the scope of a project. These run hand in hand with medicine. If you do not take the time to understand your patient, and what they need you will be a lowsy doc.
 
If you look at the stats for BM that make up their class for 2006

Age Range
The 78 students in our class of 2006-07 range in age from 22 to 47 years. Of these,

3 are age 30 and over
31 are between 25-29
44 are between 22-24

My original assertation was the BM and Goucher do not cater to true "career changers". They cater to more students who have recently graduated, and who have decided to go back to school. Many of these students do not have the same responsibilities of the over 30 crowd, and thus have more time the year before they apply to BM or Goucher to volunteer. As you can see the largest group of students at BM is 22-24 years in age.

In order to be a career changer you need to have time to have a career! The point of my posts to let people similar in age to myself know that these may not be the places that will value your previous accomplishments. No one ever hears about this, but it is important. A 22 yr old does not have the same responsibilities and time constraints at a 30 year old. BM's numbers show who they favor.

Goucher is in the mold of BM, and operates very similarly.
 
If you look at the stats for BM that make up their class for 2006

Age Range
The 78 students in our class of 2006-07 range in age from 22 to 47 years. Of these,

3 are age 30 and over
31 are between 25-29
44 are between 22-24

My original assertation was the BM and Goucher do not cater to true "career changers". They cater to more students who have recently graduated, and who have decided to go back to school. Many of these students do not have the same responsibilities of the over 30 crowd, and thus have more time the year before they apply to BM or Goucher to volunteer. As you can see the largest group of students at BM is 22-24 years in age.

In order to be a career changer you need to have time to have a career! The point of my posts to let people similar in age to myself know that these may not be the places that will value your previous accomplishments. No one ever hears about this, but it is important. A 22 yr old does not have the same responsibilities and time constraints at a 30 year old. BM's numbers show who they favor.

Goucher is in the mold of BM, and operates very similarly.

For someone with a business background, you are exhibiting a poor grasp of analytical reasoning. The reason that fewer older students attend these programs is simply that fewer older students apply to them. The further out from college a person is (and this has been documented in studies), the less statistically likely they are to decide on a career transition to medicine, and for reasons that are fairly obvious (i.e. the sacrifices are greater for the older student than the younger one--a point which I believe you have correctly made repeatedly). Trust me, I was actually a student at Goucher, so I know the program directors there quite well. They love having older students, and one of them even lamented to me once that they wished more would apply because they really value the experience and maturity that people in their late twenties and thirties bring to the program.

By the way, I do completely agree with you that a business background can be very helpful in medicine, and that many medical school admission's committees would look favorably upon your life experience. But this brings me back to my original point: Bryn Mawr and Goucher value that type of experience too, if for no other reason than the fact that they know it sells to med school adcoms.

You didn't get in to Goucher and Bryn Mawr, but (and you should know this) one person is not a statistically representitive sample. I emphasize again: YOU DON'T KNOW WHY YOU DIDN'T GET AN ACCEPTANCE. To decide that it's a fact that they simply didn't like your biography is completely misguided. Worse, you are posting it around as if it is a fact, which may discourage other people with similar stories to yours from applying, when they actually do stand a perfectly good shot at getting admitted. An analogy here would be a high school student with an Irish surname applying to Harvard and Yale, getting rejected, and deciding that it's because Ivy League schools discriminate against the Irish. The simple fact is that Bryn Mawr and Goucher are probably the most competitive post-bac programs in the country, and they turn a lot of qualified people down. Sorry that it happened to you, but that's life, and it's not fair to discourage other people who might benefit from these programs from even applying.

Again, I sincerely wish you luck going forward. But this thread really needs to die already.

P.S. I have no knowledge of the Tufts program, so I cannot comment on the above poster's comments regarding Tufts. I'm speaking here specifically of Goucher and Bryn Mawr.
 
You didn't get in to Goucher and Bryn Mawr, but (and you should know this) one person is not a statistically representitive sample. I emphasize again: YOU DON'T KNOW WHY YOU DIDN'T GET AN ACCEPTANCE.

I actually do know why, I called and spoke to the director at BM. She said that they did not weigh heavily experience in the business world, or other career type. That they were really looking this year for an individual who had devoted a significant amount of time to volunteering and who got their "hands dirty". That prior success was not as important to them, and that 3.4 UGPA was on the cusp for acceptance.


This is why I posted these threads, I am not just making blanket statements. This again reverts back to the fact that these schools are more likely to accept a younger student who will have stronger LOR b/c they just graduated. They will have had more time to volunteer (less responsibilities) and since BM did not weigh prior career heavily they will not need to worry about that. Some program give more weight to success in another career. I have received many PM's from similar people who had the same result at these schools. There is nothing wrong with this, I just thought slightly older true career changers should know what to work on in order to get in. MAKE SURE you volunteer in a patient environment, and make sure you are very altruistic on your essays.

I am ready for this thread to die as well... I think it is pretty played out at this point.
 
I actually do know why, I called and spoke to the director at BM. She said that they did not weigh heavily experience in the business world, or other career type. That they were really looking this year for an individual who had devoted a significant amount of time to volunteering and who got their "hands dirty". That prior success was not as important to them, and that 3.4 UGPA was on the cusp for acceptance.


I'll have to take your word for this. I would simply say that myself and other people I know who had very similar backgrounds to yours (in fact, probably an even less impressive career track) did gain admission to Bryn Mawr, so I don't think a blanket statement that they "don't cater to career changers" is quite fair. The more important factor is probably the GPA. Further, you do not claim to have spoken with the directors at Goucher, and I completely stand by my previous statements that Goucher does like older students. I know that one for a fact.

I am ready for this thread to die as well... I think it is pretty played out at this point.

This we can agree on. 🙂

Again, good luck to you.
 
Let me reiterate that I even stated in my messages that I am making some generalizations. The simple point I am making is that BM & Goucher do not in my opinion cater to career changers who have not been able to volunteer out the rear end. Furthermore, and this may not be you, but many people who have graduated, and are working what they consider a "menial" job pursue medicine because they think it will bring them the following:

Esteem
Respect
Enough money to comfortably liver
The ability to do something meaningful

It is far easier to leave a career that you yourself view as menial, or non respectful to enter into a career in medicine. The upside, even if you incur debt for several years is still larger than your current situation.

My situation simply highlights that there is a far less upside, and that should also show my commitment to pursue medicine




I think you are way off base here. One of the problems with today's doctors is that they went straight through from undergrad and they did not receive enough education in the business world. I have spoken to many who feel that their business acumen is low and that if they were more business savvy they could have better practices.

It makes since that doc's do not have a lot of business knowledge because they are knee deep in **** for 8 years, however, possessing a business background does give me a distinct advantage. I can help the next generation of MD's fight for the rights in the financial world against HMO's. I can use my knowledge to run a streamlined practice that can effectivly see more patients at a lower cost. I can share my knowledge with other collegues to help build succesfull practices.

Medicine IS a business, and for you to say that business has nothing to do with medicine you are very mistaken.



I never said that these people whom you reference above do not make sacrifices. Medicine is a sacrifice for each person individually. I just made the comment that some people feel they are stuck with a dead end career, or feel lost b/c they are not doing something with their degree. If you are one of those people the choice seems a bit easier to swallow.


The point of these threads was to voice my concern on the admissions process at two places that have a very high interest and regard in terms of Post Bacs. I do not expect everyone to see it my way, but I am not the only one who feels that these post bacs are geared towards a certain group of people. I was accepted to NYU and Columbia, but will most likely go to Rutgers. I do not think those schools have enough people linking to justify the cost. BM and Goucher are worth it if you get in for the simple reason you can link at a very high rate.

again not to play devil's advocate here, and I completely admire your decision to leave a 200K job (i don't think i could have), but I feel your attitude is a bit skewed. For some reason, working in NYC, making 200K a year, and graduating from a state school with a good GPA you feel you are owed something. As far as I've experienced in my post bacc work, and this is what differentiates you from the undergrads, YOU AREN'T OWED ****! You have to work for what you get, the past 1 1/2 years have been the MOST humbling experiences in my life. Granted I did not achieve as much as you did before leaving my career, I never came into my post bacc work feeling if I was owed anything, and everything I have gotten thus far, I have earned. It's not easy, I didn't do as well on the august mcat as I wanted to, but that's all part of the process. Coming from the business world, I feel you'd know you have to play the game the way they want it played.
 
again not to play devil's advocate here, and I completely admire your decision to leave a 200K job (i don't think i could have), but I feel your attitude is a bit skewed. For some reason, working in NYC, making 200K a year, and graduating from a state school with a good GPA you feel you are owed something. As far as I've experienced in my post bacc work, and this is what differentiates you from the undergrads, YOU AREN'T OWED ****! You have to work for what you get, the past 1 1/2 years have been the MOST humbling experiences in my life. Granted I did not achieve as much as you did before leaving my career, I never came into my post bacc work feeling if I was owed anything, and everything I have gotten thus far, I have earned. It's not easy, I didn't do as well on the august mcat as I wanted to, but that's all part of the process. Coming from the business world, I feel you'd know you have to play the game the way they want it played.

Thanks for the post... again however I feel many people are missing the point. The point was not that I was entitled, although I did feel that my past should count for something. The point was that these programs do not care about ones past accomplishments as much as some others, so career changers who are looking at schools need to realize if they want BM or Goucher they better tailor their apps to what these schools want.
 
when i went back to school for medicine i had to leave behind concerns about my resume. as impressed as i was with my own accomplishments, i found that people didnt understand or care that much about what i did before. i got few bonus points for previous job titles and financial rewards. i was judged by the same measures as the 22 yo i was competing against: grades, standardized tests, volunteer work and extra-curriculars.

it was humbling for sure. but so far things have worked out. there is a place for people like us. i had to accept starting over and gradually working my way back up. and if someday my business experience helps -- that would be great.
 
As much as I'd like for this discussion to go on, I feel that the points have already been made, and as the OP had desired, for this thread to die. This is already starting to become a flame war. I will be closing the other thread as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.