It's time for me to reapply and I could use some advice after a failed cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazedKraken

Reaction score
I guess I will start off with some general statistics and an overview of my journey thus far. I graduated from the University of Tennessee in Spring of 2019 with a degree in Biochem and a GPA of 3.9 (both overall and sGPA). I took the MCAT in August of 2018 and received a 512 (127,126,129,130). I have roughly 400 hours of hospice volunteering, 1000 hours of clinical experience as a nursing technician, and several shadowing experiences. I have three (possibly four) pretty solid letters of recommendation from physicians/nurses that I have shadowed/worked under.

Last cycle I was having trouble locking down a third LOR and did not have as much clinical experience as I do now. I was rushing to find someone to write my last LOR and was trying to bolster my ECs and, as a result, ended up submitting my applications in early September (I know, crazy late). On top of that, I only applied to a few schools (Again I know, another stupid move). Despite all of this, I received interview opportunities at UT Memphis and Quillen. Both interviews went fine but I was ultimately rejected from both schools.

Aside from applying on time and to more schools what should I do? I have been working on finalizing my school list and could use advice on how many/what schools to apply to. Also is it time that I start thinking about DO schools? My MCAT scores are starting to get old and I think most schools will no longer accept them after this cycle so getting admitted this cycle is a must. Any and all advice would be much appreciated and thanks in advance!

tl : dr
I applied like a ***** last cycle and need help picking schools and not being a ***** this time around...DO schools?
MCAT: 512 (127,126,129,130) (Took in August of 2018...getting old)
GPA: 3.9 (both overall and sGPA)
ECs: Lots of shadowing, 400 hours hospice, 1000 hours nursing tech

Possible schools? Any I should add/subtract? Probably can't afford to apply to more than 10 or so...here is a list in no particular order...

1East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
2Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & ScienceNeitherNo notes added by user
3TCU and UNTHSC School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
4Virginia Commonwealth University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
5Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical CenterNeitherNo notes added by user
6Drexel University College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
7Creighton University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
8Eastern Virginia Medical SchoolNeitherNo notes added by user
9Georgetown University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
10Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
11University of Louisville School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
12Tulane University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
13Saint Louis University School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
14Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson UniversityNeitherNo notes added by user
15University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
16Albany Medical CollegeNeitherNo notes added by user
17Medical College of WisconsinNeitherNo notes added by user
18Central Michigan University College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
19Wright State University Boonshoft School of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user
20University of Vermont College of MedicineNeitherNo notes added by user

Members don't see this ad.

Did you submit any LOR from professors or only healthcare workers? The standard is 2 science 1 humanities and then you could add professional LOR's after that. If your LOR's are good than my recommendation would be to try and find a research position over the course of the next year to use as your point of growth between this and next cycle. The good news is the most successful reapplicants are people like you who have good stats (high GPA/solid MCAT/strong EC's) and only applied late. As for the school list, I will let someone else who familiar comment on that but I would definitely apply to more than 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.