IUSD Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JLJ said:
Well, this might be common tips, but they bear repeating:

1. APPLY EARLY! This especially goes for IU- last year they filled up all the interview slots for the fall ridiculously fast. I applied last year through AADSAs in the middle of July and got a fall interview by the skin of my teeth (heh). I kid you not when I say that if I had waited another week to apply I probably wouldn't be entering this July.

2, DON'T USE AADSAS LETTER OF REC. SERVICE- Caveat to the first tip. Some people may disagree, but I think it's going to take AADSAS a lot of time to recieve the letters, etc (even if they don't lose anything, needlessly delay, or screw something up- do a SDN search). Your best bet is to give your recommenders addressed and stamped envelopes and have them send the letters directly to the school(s).

That's all I've got. Anybody else?

Yup, thats pretty much it. Applying early is the key for IU admission. I applied in May and got my interview invite in mid August, that was the first round of interviews they sent out and they gave out most of their out of state interview by Mid September. I assume it is similar for their in-state applicants since they did not have much interviews after Dec 1st. If you apply early, have the grades, and do well in your interviews, you should be golden!

now back to the topic of the thread:
does anyone know our sch for summer? like what time we start in the morning and how late they go till and classes we will have.
maybe current students could post their schedule???

Members don't see this ad.

Comet208 said:
now back to the topic of the thread:
does anyone know our sch for summer? like what time we start in the morning and how late they go till and classes we will have.
maybe current students could post their schedule???

Pretty much 8a-5p everyday during the summer. Sometimes we would end earlier. The orientation week was exhausting! Lots of speeches by professors. :sleep:

:D

Do you guys know if most students wear scrubs all of the time, like they do at case?

Members don't see this ad :)
DiDDyDeNt said:
Do you guys know if most students wear scrubs all of the time, like they do at case?

What i noticed during my interview is that D1's and D2's were dresses casually and most of the D3's and D4's were in scrubs. I'd assume one could wear scrubs everyday for those 4 years and that would be perfectly acceptable. During our interview Dr. Kasberg talked about clothing and he said if ever they have to vote on some sort of uniform, he would advocate for scrubs all the way because of their cost, cost of drycleaning, and comfort. He got an instentanious applaud from all 30 of us in the room.

So we all got that advisor email today, right? I personally have enjoyed getting a new email everyday since I have been accepted (except that the actual acceptance letter hasnt arrived yet!!!)

What i really like about the email today is that it contained everyone's name and email addresses. I went through it. The M/F ratio is about 50/50. And it seems that there are at least 2 other Persians in the class. oh lord, thats too many!

Any other observations you guys have made?

Comet208 said:
So we all got that advisor email today, right? I personally have enjoyed getting a new email everyday since I have been accepted (except that the actual acceptance letter hasnt arrived yet!!!)

What i really like about the email today is that it contained everyone's name and email addresses. I went through it. The M/F ratio is about 50/50. And it seems that there are at least 2 other Persians in the class. oh lord, thats too many!

Any other observations you guys have made?

Hahaha!!! :laugh: Guess what? There is one more in c/o 2009 and another in c/o 2008!!! Cant get away from us! I am glad to see you got in Comet208. I remember that feeling...it was such a relief.

Everyone, WELCOME to IUSD!!! Enjoy your freedom..... :eek:

sahar1118 said:
Hahaha!!! :laugh: Guess what? There is one more in c/o 2009 and another in c/o 2008!!! Cant get away from us! I am glad to see you got in Comet208. I remember that feeling...it was such a relief.

Everyone, WELCOME to IUSD!!! Enjoy your freedom..... :eek:

Thanks Sahar. I have met the girl in c/o 2008. I interviewed with her. Isnt it interesting that there is only 1-2 Persian(s) in each of those classes and all of a sudden 4 for 2010? you ladies must have set the bar pretty high!!!
Can't wait to see you.

So, do we have any latinas or latinos or spanish speaking classmates? I would love to make some friends and organize a mission trip to Central America over our Spring, Christmas, or Summer vacations if those even exist.

Hoosier Daddy said:
So, do we have any latinas or latinos or spanish speaking classmates? I would love to make some friends and organize a mission trip to Central America over our Spring, Christmas, or Summer vacations if those even exist.

I'm Puerto Rican. In my class, we have 2 others (from Peru and Ecuador). There are a few more scattered in the current 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year. We are few and far in between. :oops:

Maybe there will be more in your class...

yo hablo espanol :D , but i'm a half-taiwanese, half-caucasian mix.

Ok.. the acceptance letter finally arrived after 10 days. Good thing it was sent first class. Is everyone else's acceptance provosional also? I dont have any other requirements to complete.

btw... those of us from out of state will have to borrow about $82,000/year which is about :eek:$328,000:eek: by the time we graduate (as if you didn't know). Dental school has got to be one of the most expensive investments one makes.

It's a good investment Comet, I promise.

Also, if you look at the projected budget for living expenses it's something like 2 grand a month. That's crazy high- it corresponds to a salary of about 30k a year after taxes. You should be able to get along and still have a lot of fun for 1250-1500 a month if you can budget a bit. That may not seem like that big of a difference, but it's actually between 6 and 9 grand a year, or between 24 and 36 grand for the whole 4 years. Also, I've been told by some first years that the budget for books is grossly overinflated (4k for books?!)- some books you apparently don't even need to buy. That's probably a grand or two saved there.

In any case, even if you don't follow my frugal tips, you'll make fat bank in less than 4 years and you'll be very happy that you made the investment that you did.

-J

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks J. Your comments are always comforting. I think it is very doable to live on $1500/month in Indy. This should reduce my total loans by 24k.
I also feel the thought of having to read $4k worth of books is a lot scarier than being able to afford them.

Comet208 said:
Thanks J. Your comments are always comforting. I think it is very doable to live on $1500/month in Indy. This should reduce my total loans by 24k.
I also feel the thought of having to read $4k worth of books is a lot scarier than being able to afford them.

The only book you need is your Anatomy atlas. I have not needed any other books. The teachers tell you they are mandatory, but they are not. There are always copies on reserve in the library.

I live on about $1100-1300 (avg) each month (in an overpriced dorm).

Hoosier Daddy said:

If you go to this website, it discusses the alternative spring break trip:

http://www.iusd.iupui.edu/Depts/PCD/DCD/alternative_spring_break.htm

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to me--I need to continue learning Spanish :)

Comet208 said:
I'd also like to know what current users think of the D620 model. thx.

Do any current students think that it is better/more portable to go with the smaller size models? And are there any extras that are good to have? Why doesn't the school go paperless and put all class materials and notes on our laptops? Thanks!

DiDDyDeNt said:
Why doesn't the school go paperless and put all class materials and notes on our laptops? Thanks!

I think the clinics have started moving towards paperless already. But as to putting everything on a DVD, it is a relatively new approach and not many students are comfy with that yet. I know many students, including myself, would rather have a book in our hands.

Lets compile a checklist of the stuff we need to do (both personal and for the school). I am hoping that non of us would forget anything. Here it goes and please add anything you find important:

Order dell (no later than june 14th)
collect teeth
health insurance (due june 1st)
Immunization (due June 1st)
Faculty advisor (may 15th)
White coate ceremony guest reservation (forgot the due date)
Send transcripts (june 1st)
Housing
Furniture
Car/car insurance
forward mail
convert driving license
buy scrubs
Loans
ANYTHING ELSE???

hey comet-great idea for the list because it brings up some stuff i haven't received info on. can you list the immunizations we need? i have a doctor's appt. next wednesday but haven't gotten that letter or the reservation request for the white coat ceremony.

Immunization; DUE JUNE 1st

Rubella, Rubeola, Mumps, TB test (within the past 3 months), Hep B vaccines, Tetanus, Chicken pox.

there is a form your doc needs to fill out. So you have to make sure you have it by then.

ANYONE ELSE CAN THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE WE SHOUL BE DOING? LETS KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE.

Have you guys decided on which computer and why? I am thinking that the 410 will be good. What you think?

i'm stuck b/t the 620 and the 410-honestly the 820 is not looking too great if you are considering portability...i just hate shelling out more money for a labtop when i already have one-unfortunately not a dell... :p

First, great list, Foad. The only other thing I can think of is cell phone plans. I was recently at the IUPUI bookstore and I saw that Sprint offers students a 5-10% discount on cell plans. I think I am going to look into getting a PDA smartphone so I can keep test dates, e-mail contacts, and patients' info in the phone.

Second, I pimped out a D820 to the full specs.

Hoosier Daddy said:

yeah, thats Matt Rowe for you right there!!

I am thinking of going with D620 and upgrade some of the features so it can withstand the abuse for the next 4 years! I think, for me, the 12" screen is too small and the 15" is too large, so i am sticking with the 14". Perfromance wise, it is better than 410, and since i wont be playing mad games on it, 620 should hold pretty well.

Hoosier Daddy said:
First, great list, Foad. The only other thing I can think of is cell phone plans. I was recently at the IUPUI bookstore and I saw that Sprint offers students a 5-10% discount on cell plans. I think I am going to look into getting a PDA smartphone so I can keep test dates, e-mail contacts, and patients' info in the phone.

What xtras did you get? The 820 is the largest right?

I think that only the 410 has mobile technology, am I right about that?

DiDDyDeNt said:
I think that only the 410 has mobile technology, am I right about that?

No, they all have that feature. In fact, ALL Dell lattitudes have that built in.

Comet208 said:
No, they all have that feature. In fact, ALL Dell lattitudes have that built in.

Good! Thanks comet.

Comet208 said:

Guys, don't get the smallest laptop. It's too small and the cd drive is not attached, so you have to lug it around with you if you need to view/listen to cds or dvds. My classmates who have it, hate it.

I have the middle sized one and it's the right size.

The biggest one is good too, but it's pretty heavy.

Here I am being a real nerd and sharing my specs for the laptop:
Latitude D820, Intel Core Duo T2600, 2.16GHz, 667Mhz, 2M L2 Cache, Dual Core
[320-4611] 15.4 inch Wide Screen WUXGA LCD for Latitude D820
[311-5681] 4.0GB, DDR2-533 SDRAM, 2 DIMM for Dell Latitude Notebooks
[310-7270] Internal English Keyboard for Latitude Notebooks
[320-4613] 512MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M TurboCache, Latitude D820
[341-3511] 120GB Hard Drive 9.5MM 5400RPM for Dell Latitude DX20
[310-7418] Standard Touchpad for LatitudeD820
[340-8854] No Floppy Drive for Latitude D-Family Notebooks
[420-4790] Windows XP Professional, SP2 with media, for Latitude English, Factory Installed
[430-1487] Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module for Latitude
[310-7285] Dell Combination Auto/Air Power Adapter for Latitude D, Factory Tied
[313-3883] 8X DVD+/-RW with Roxio CreatorDell Edition Digital Media andCyberlink Power DVD, for Latitude 120L
[430-1485] Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band WLAN (802.11a/g,54Mbps) Mini Card, Latitude
[313-3935] Resource CD w/ Diagnostics andDrivers for Latitude D820 Note
[312-0390] 9-Cell/85 WHr Primary Battery for Latitude D820
[420-3699] NTFS File System,Factory Install
[900-6600] Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response, Initial Year
[900-6233] Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response, 3YR Extended
[980-1509] CompleteCare Accidental DamageSvc, Lat, 4Yr , 1-800-624-9896
[983-2207] Thank You for buying Dell
[983-2217] Please visit WWW.Dell.COM
[312-0392] 9-Cell/85-WHr Additional Primary Battery for Latitude D820
[310-7278] D/Port, Port Replicator for Latitude D-Family, Factory Tied
[310-7281] D/View Notebook Stand for Latitude D-Family, Factory Tied

IWuvTeef said:
Guys, don't get the smallest laptop. It's too small and the cd drive is not attached, so you have to lug it around with you if you need to view/listen to cds or dvds. My classmates who have it, hate it.

I have the middle sized one and it's the right size.

The biggest one is good too, but it's pretty heavy.

I am with her on this one. I have the smaller one. If you do decide to get the smaller one, make sure you get the extra battery. My battery dies in less than an hour.

Sahar, Nahir, Bill, and Ahmad,

thanks for checking this thread and giving us feedback. Is there anything in particular we should be concerned about in addition to the list that I have made? I hate surprises.

and i can't wait to see you all in 9 weeks. We should plan a little get together before the classes start.

Comet208 said:

thanks for checking this thread and giving us feedback. Is there anything in particular we should be concerned about in addition to the list that I have made? I hate surprises.

and i can't wait to see you all in 9 weeks. We should plan a little get together before the classes start.

Your list looks complete to me. :)

getting us back on the first page :D

Yeah, I love posting trite remarks just to be on the first page. All the cool people do it.

Ok, so how many teeth has everyone collected thus far?
I only have 2 incisors and am picking up more teeth tomorrow from an OMFS's office.

I have a big ass jug full of teeth that I have to "root" through and see what I have. I am going to take my time and "extract" one tooth at a time from the jug. The oral surgeon has been collecting them for me since December. I'll share whatever I have with whomever is in need. -Peace out my hommies

hi all
It was great to see this here :) I am 25 Yrs old from San Deigo, CA. I will get my BA in bio this year and look forward to see u all at indiana!

mahtab said:
hi all
It was great to see this here :) I am 25 Yrs old from San Deigo, CA. I will get my BA in bio this year and look forward to see u all at indiana!

OMG, another Persian joining IUSD... :thumbup:

mahtab said:
hi all

YEAY!!! A fellow Californian who happens to be female, who happens to be persian.
Guess Nap town is getting pretty popular!!

Hello class of 2010,

Regarding your list comet....you are more than prepared. Awesome job! Regarding the teeth: I stressed so much about collecting teeth b-4 coming to Indy........if you end up lacking or not having enough variety (endless 3rd molars) do not worry! Fellow classmates always end up sharing or trading.

By the way, I highly recommend meeting before the first day of school. my fellow classmates and I met the day before school started.

Well, have to go study or else I will have to join your class in July! :scared:

I guess I am the only one from a different planet. I love the diversity we are going to have in our class. I think of our class as a salad bar. There is something for everyone and it's all good! Peace out compadres.

Comet208 said:

comet,

you are ready to roll my friend. the only thing i'd add to the list is:
-enjoy your time off as much as possible. next time you'd be doing something fun would be in dec.

see you all soon.
ahmad

random question...i'm in need of a new backpack/messenger bag for school, but does anyone know how much stuff we'll need to carry with us everyday? do we need to bring books and the laptop? or just some notebooks and pens? any help would be appreciated because i don't want to get a huge bag unless i need to!

thanks fellow classmates :D

nd7 said:
random question...i'm in need of a new backpack/messenger bag for school, but does anyone know how much stuff we'll need to carry with us everyday? do we need to bring books and the laptop? or just some notebooks and pens? any help would be appreciated because i don't want to get a huge bag unless i need to!

thanks fellow classmates :D

Yeah ND I was wondering the same thing