IUSD Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sahar1118 said:
Hello class of 2010,

Regarding your list comet....you are more than prepared. Awesome job! Regarding the teeth: I stressed so much about collecting teeth b-4 coming to Indy........if you end up lacking or not having enough variety (endless 3rd molars) do not worry! Fellow classmates always end up sharing or trading.

By the way, I highly recommend meeting before the first day of school. my fellow classmates and I met the day before school started.

Well, have to go study or else I will have to join your class in July! :scared:
Yeah, the get-together the night before your classes started seemed to work out pretty well. Maybe I'll see if I can put something similar together for this summer...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I have a question for any current students, or students looking to buy a house/condo. We have already been pre-approved for a loan, but we would have to pay mortgage insurance and some other fees. Do any of you guys know of any programs for first time home buyers to get around all the xtra fees and stuff, maybe even the closing costs? And if anyone could tell me about how much they are paying for a house in the 80-100K range, insurance and all. This would be a huge help. What are your opinions of buying vs renting in Indy? Housing seems to be pretty cheap there, and the way that I now see it, buying is the way to go, but tell me what you all think and why! Thanks. :thumbup:

DiDDyDeNt said:
Hey I have a question for any current students, or students looking to buy a house/condo. We have already been pre-approved for a loan, but we would have to pay mortgage insurance and some other fees. Do any of you guys know of any programs for first time home buyers to get around all the xtra fees and stuff, maybe even the closing costs? And if anyone could tell me about how much they are paying for a house in the 80-100K range, insurance and all. This would be a huge help. What are your opinions of buying vs renting in Indy? Housing seems to be pretty cheap there, and the way that I now see it, buying is the way to go, but tell me what you all think and why! Thanks. :thumbup:

Just some personal thought on this:

Normally it is advised to finanace a house only if you are going to keep it for long time. why? this is becasue of how mortgage payment works. At the begining you are paying mostly (more than 90%) of the interest but very little of pricipal loan. So if you are keeping it only for 4 years, you have only paid off some of the interest and chances are that now you owe more. Yes, the price of the house will also increase, but the projected increase for the next few years is not as high as the past five years. The belief is that "it increased too much and now it will have to correct itself". For some properties, this even equals to a drop in the price and I have heard this many time from mortgage brokers.
Alsok, when you own the house, you are responsible for its upkeep, whereas if the the stove stops working/roof leaks/toilet clogs/etc when you are renting, all you need to do it to call the landlord.

Now to answer your question about closing cost, etc:
If you wish, you can add closing cost and all the associated costs of buying the house to the amount you are borrowing. You can also make the insurance part of the loan. That way, you dont pay the yearly home insurance, and they somehow work it into your mortgage (we did it for our house). Maybe not every bank offers these things thats why you need to shop around a bit. Many offer additional benefits for first time buyrs. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
aphistis said:
Yeah, the get-together the night before your classes started seemed to work out pretty well. Maybe I'll see if I can put something similar together for this summer...

This is a great idea Bill and I have been thinking about it as well. Let me know if I can help with planning.

Today I got an Email from IUSD about coming down to do a trial PBL case in June. Im going to do it. I was just wondering who else was thinking about doing it. Would be nice to know a few faces.

Mike

footballdoc said:
Today I got an Email from IUSD about coming down to do a trial PBL case in June. Im going to do it. I was just wondering who else was thinking about doing it. Would be nice to know a few faces.

Mike

hey Mike, any luck at Vanrooy?

The PBL thingy sounds very cool. I would even volunteer to do it for free, but I dont arrive in Indy till the 24th. CANNOT WAIT!

Comet208 said:
hey Mike, any luck at Vanrooy?

The PBL thingy sounds very cool. I would even volunteer to do it for free, but I dont arrive in Indy till the 24th. CANNOT WAIT!

Foad, thanks for the Vanrooy recomendation, I liked the Marott alot but it was a little pricey. I got a place called AMLI at the Riverbend in Castleton. Its in the Northeast corner of Indy.

Does anyone know anything about Financial Aid yet?? school is in 7 weeks and yet I do not know how i am going to pay $83k!!
Any letters from Paul? School? has anyone done anything yet???

Comet208 said:
Does anyone know anything about Financial Aid yet?? school is in 7 weeks and yet I do not know how i am going to pay $83k!!
Any letters from Paul? School? has anyone done anything yet???

The info that I got some time ago says that we should hear about our summer aid in June. :thumbdown:

i got an email in saying that we should receive financial stuff in May...i hope Paul is on the ball though because i know i need to start applying for private loans! :D

Hey guys,

I just found out yesterday that I got in!!! Man I am so excited. I think I was shaking for a while. I just couldnt believe it. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you. Those of you that are still waiting, there is still a chance. I was #7 on the in-state alternate list and got in. Man I am blessed.

Rob
IUSD 2010 BABY :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Beleza said:
Hey guys,

I just found out yesterday that I got in!!! Man I am so excited. I think I was shaking for a while. I just couldnt believe it. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you. Those of you that are still waiting, there is still a chance. I was #7 on the in-state alternate list and got in. Man I am blessed.

Rob

Congrats!:) thats great

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Rob....welcome aboard!

-JLJ

AWSOME!!! can't wait to see you Rob. Do you have AIM or facebook?

finally got a financial aid email from Paul yesterday...hope everyone else got it too!

nd7 said:
finally got a financial aid email from Paul yesterday...hope everyone else got it too!

yeah, that was awsome, it came right at midnight. Paul is probbaly reading our comments too!! has everyone signed up for their IUPUI email yet? I havent received that info yet and i am a bit concerned since Paul is saying we will be getting stuff in our IUPUI email which i dont have!! dont want to miss anything.

hey Rob, make sure you contact Michelle and Paul (Financial aid guy) for the latest updates.

ditto...i was kind of wondering about the email...i had tried to access Onestart earlier but it wouldn't let me. i'm going to email Ms. Farris right now, i'll post any news i receive. :)

hey also in the email they had brought up the direct deposit bit. any suggestions on which bank we should open an account at? the only "large" bank branch I found was Chase bank. Bank of America only has ATM locations.

naomi

Comet208 said:
yeah, that was awsome, it came right at midnight. Paul is probbaly reading our comments too!! has everyone signed up for their IUPUI email yet? I havent received that info yet and i am a bit concerned since Paul is saying we will be getting stuff in our IUPUI email which i dont have!! dont want to miss anything.

hey Rob, make sure you contact Michelle and Paul (Financial aid guy) for the latest updates.

Ms. Lee said we should be getting info in the mail about the email set-up. For the time being you can also look up your university id number from the Onestart main page and try to log-in using your last name, DOB, and the university ID number. make sure you select that you are setting up your first time account :)

Thx for the updates Naomi. I was able to get my ID # yesterday and set up my iupui email last night. It was very easy and i picked the forwarding option since i like to keep all my emails in one mailbox. I also realized that the registrar office had both my last name and DOB wrong!!! so if the system isnt letting you in, call the registrar office 317-274-1501.

For direct deposit thing, i put in the info for my Bank of America for now. We can always change it at a later time. I am going to call BoA now, I have heard there is another bank that is somehow affiliated with them. Hopefully i wont have to open another bank account in Indy. will keep you updated.

btw, has anyone else consolidated their loans already? i am trying to lock mine in at 4.75% through Sallie Mae.

~ foad

nd7 said:
Ms. Lee said we should be getting info in the mail about the email set-up. For the time being you can also look up your university id number from the Onestart main page and try to log-in using your last name, DOB, and the university ID number. make sure you select that you are setting up your first time account :)

Beleza said:
Hey guys,

Rob

Hey, Congratulations, Rob! I think you may have received my spot! I had to withdraw from IUSD recently, which was a really, really tough decision. My husband received a residency position at UK in Lexington, and I was lucky to pick up a spot there for this year. The bright side about attending UK dental school is 1. NO PBL 2. NO LAPTOP PURCHASE 3. NO COLLECTING TEETH! (they extract enough for all of us! hee hee) Best wishes at IU!!!

082004 said:
Hey, Congratulations, Rob! I think you may have received my spot! I had to withdraw from IUSD recently, which was a really, really tough decision. My husband received a residency position at UK in Lexington, and I was lucky to pick up a spot there for this year. The bright side about attending UK dental school is 1. NO PBL 2. NO LAPTOP PURCHASE 3. NO COLLECTING TEETH! (they extract enough for all of us! hee hee) Best wishes at IU!!!

oh wow, that is a win-win situation. Rob gets a spot at his state school and someone else gets to stay with her husband (and she likes that school too).
I wonder whose spot I took (I really want to thank you if you are reading this).

Thanks 082004 for your email and for opening a spot for me. I'm glad that UK's Dental School has offered you a spot there. Hope all goes well for you there. Enjoy being a Wildcat and I wish the best of luck to you and your husband.

God bless you both,

Rob

Heys Everyone,

Thanks again for your replies. I have been in touch with both Michelle and Paul. I talked to him on the phone yesterday. I got my computer yesterday as well. I got the D620 and souped it up a bit. So where are all of you guys staying? I am staying at Willow Glen in Beech Grove. It will be about 10-15 minutes away from the dental school depending on traffic. To answer your question comet, I don't aim. I just use this forum or my email which is heyrob25@yahoo. Well take care and good luck.

See ya soon,
Rob

okay, so i was finally able log-into onestart after many phone calls-phew! just to double check is everyone's financial aid account empty?

nd7 said:
just to double check is everyone's financial aid account empty?

ywah! :(

looks like our finaid info was updated over the weekend...i got some $$ posted :D

That schedule is intense! they were not kidding... its pretty much 8-5 with only 30 min for lunch. how about nap time?? .. what is ILA?

has anyone else gotten any money yet? my onestart only shows 2007 and it says no aid available.

Comet208 said:
That schedule is intense! they were not kidding... its pretty much 8-5 with only 30 min for lunch. how about nap time?? .. what is ILA?

ILA = independant learning activity = sleep in :D

IWuvTeef said:

Wow, that makes me feel a lot better about our schedule. :)

IWuvTeef said:

Thats kind of what I was hoping for... thx

and what is the TJE for???

Comet208 said:
and what is the TJE for???

Triple Jump Exam

I know a little about these but I think it'd be better for a current IUSD student to explain them. Anybody?

JLJ said:
Triple Jump Exam

I know a little about these but I think it'd be better for a current IUSD student to explain them. Anybody?

Yup. Passing just depends on what instructor you have. Basically, you're in a room by yourself with a teacher. They give you a PBL case and you have to tell them what prior knowledge you have about issues in the case. Then you go make learning issues. You have 20 mins to do all this. Then you get like 1 hr to research it. Then you have 20 mins to report back and tell them your findings. The teacher grades your performance throughout the whole process.

If you get a PBL fanatic, it is kinda hard; if you get a PBL hater, it will be easier. We had 2 this yr. Only 1st yrs have to do it.

We have a little over a MONTH left to start school!!

so when is everyone moving to Indy??

and what do you guys think of having a get together on July 4th??

I am coming to Indy on June 24th. Cannot wait to see you all.

Sounds good to me! I'm thinking we either get together for dinner (which might be nuts) or all just go to a relatively quiet bar. Anybody else have any ideas?

JLJ said:
Sounds good to me! I'm thinking we either get together for dinner (which might be nuts) or all just go to a relatively quiet bar. Anybody else have any ideas?

Last year we met at Rock Bottom (sports bar/ restaurant) in downtown Indy. Food, alcohol, and good times were had by all.

That all sounds good to me. I have a question about the financial aid for out-of-staters. Do we know how much we will get after the cost of attendance for summer has been paid? And is anybody applying for additional loans to cover moving cost and such? We just purchased a house and I know that I will need some xtra dough until my wife starts her job. Your thoughts would be great. One more thing I looked at a loan through salliemae, and the rate was 8.25% isn't that sky high?

DiDDyDeNt said:
That all sounds good to me. I have a question about the financial aid for out-of-staters. Do we know how much we will get after the cost of attendance for summer has been paid? And is anybody applying for additional loans to cover moving cost and such? We just purchased a house and I know that I will need some xtra dough until my wife starts her job. Your thoughts would be great. One more thing I looked at a loan through salliemae, and the rate was 8.25% isn't that sky high?

Starting this July, they are giving us about $2K/month for living expenses. This was also laid out in an email that Paul sent out. If you require additional funding, give him a call, during the FA presentation he said under certain circumstances he might be able to get some $$ us.

IWuvTeef said:
Guys, don't get the smallest laptop. It's too small and the cd drive is not attached, so you have to lug it around with you if you need to view/listen to cds or dvds. My classmates who have it, hate it.

I have the middle sized one and it's the right size.

The biggest one is good too, but it's pretty heavy.

I have the smallest laptop and I love it. You RARELY have to use any cd or dvd, and if I need to use it I usually have the cd drive somewhere in my bag. In addition, if you get the larger battery you can get up to 6 hours of battery life on the little laptop since its screen doesn’t use as much power, etc. I don’t think its for everybody, but it is the best choice in my opinion cause it is so easy to carry, has plenty of power and it just looks like a nice business laptop :). I do agree though if you want the cd-rom go for the middle sized one, that one is a great pick also, although significantly larger than the D420.

IWuvTeef said:
Last year we met at Rock Bottom (sports bar/ restaurant) in downtown Indy. Food, alcohol, and good times were had by all.

See you tommorow at 8am...should be interesting with romito, olson, and gregory ;).

Beleza said:
Thanks 082004 for your email and for opening a spot for me. I'm glad that UK's Dental School has offered you a spot there. Hope all goes well for you there. Enjoy being a Wildcat and I wish the best of luck to you and your husband.

God bless you both,

Rob

Thank you for the kind words! You must be so excited to attend IUSD, and we are excited for you! I guess I cannot complain having another month off...UK doesn't begin until August 3rd! Yippee! God bless you, too!

DiDDyDeNt said:

I'm not sure if IUSD could do this, but my husband looked into it at IU School of Medicine after graduating this month. IUSM will provide "student moving loans" with low interest through financial aid, which would have assisted us in our move to Lexington for his residency. We ended up not using it, but it was out there. You might want to consider asking Paul in IUSD financial aid to see if they have something similar available. Good Luck!

Looks like facebook is taking over this for us. Cannot wait to see you all.

Comet208 said:
Looks like facebook is taking over this for us. Cannot wait to see you all.

Ahhh... I remember when I felt that way ;). Good stuff, indeed! Enjoy the little you have of summer, next summer will be a month long.

footballdoc said:

hey footballdoc, i forgot who you are! have you joined the IUSD 2010 directory on facebook yet??

see you soon!