IV hydralazine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A cardiologist today told me that IV hydralazine is a drug which should never be used for anything. Reason is because it has an extremely short duration of action yet extremely rapid onset of action. It is apparently only good for making the numbers look better for your attending, but otherwise exceptionally worthless.

If this is the case, why have I seen an order for "hydralazine IV 10mg IV PRN Psys >160" on so many patients with medicine consult for "hypertension."

Members don't see this ad.

It's so that you don't get nurses calling you 24/7 about asymptomatic hypertension. Don't understand why high blood pressures make them uncomfortable when the patient was sitting at home just fine with these blood pressures a few days ago

Reactions: 10 users
It's a great example of things we do in the hospital which don't benefit patients at all, cost money, and expose patients to risk.

We've been working as a department to eliminate the automatic prn hydralazine/labetalol orders and to educate the nursing staff that asymptomatic mild hypertension does not require treatment.

Or you could just work at Parkland where the notify physician if SBP > 160 or <90 and DBP >100 or <60 orders were regularly ignored --- can't tell you the number of times I would prowl the vitals and see 200s/110s or 80/low 60s --- when I appeared at the nurses station "just checking" on my patient, after a few times of pointed questions being asked, they started to get the hint....but then again, you had to be dying with one foot in the grave and pulling the coffin lid shut before you got admitted to ICU at that place.....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Or you could just work at Parkland where the notify physician if SBP > 160 or <90 and DBP >100 or <60 orders were regularly ignored --- can't tell you the number of times I would prowl the vitals and see 200s/110s or 80/low 60s --- when I appeared at the nurses station "just checking" on my patient, after a few times of pointed questions being asked, they started to get the hint....but then again, you had to be dying with one foot in the grave and pulling the coffin lid shut before you got admitted to ICU at that place.....

If you can pull a coffin lid shut you're not sick enough for the icu

Reactions: 9 users
It's a great example of things we do in the hospital which don't benefit patients at all, cost money, and expose patients to risk.

We've been working as a department to eliminate the automatic prn hydralazine/labetalol orders and to educate the nursing staff that asymptomatic mild hypertension does not require treatment.

I use it regularly for SBP > 180 after starting a patient on a new anti-hypertensive that evening, so that the night team won't have to worry about getting paged while the PO meds take effect. Interesting comment about the risk/benefit. I haven't thought about it before but it probably is overused.

"So that the night team won't get paged" is about the worst reasoning possible.

I've seen patients put on prn zofran/phenergan/compazine/hydralazine/labetalol/Ativan/dilaudid/seroquel - all at once to "protect the night team".

Personally I'm a fan of less is more.

Makes sense. Sounds like a good thing to bring up at our monthly meetings with chiefs/department heads.

I've seen patients put on prn zofran/phenergan/compazine/hydralazine/labetalol/Ativan/dilaudid/seroquel - all at once to "protect the night team".

Hang on, prn meds are a good thing if they will be the first line anyways. Why do I need to get called in the middle of the night for, "your pt is nauseous..." "...give them zofran." "You're pt is itchy..." "...give them benadryl." I can either put it in the orders from the beginning what I want done, or I can get called about it at 3am.

I suppose "protect the night team" might sound lame when you have a night team...for those of us who take home call and have to get woken up for stupid little things, it's important to make sure your nurses have the proper orders in to take care of the patients.

A cardiologist today told me that IV hydralazine is a drug which should never be used for anything. Reason is because it has an extremely short duration of action yet extremely rapid onset of action. It is apparently only good for making the numbers look better for your attending, but otherwise exceptionally worthless.

If this is the case, why have I seen an order for "hydralazine IV 10mg IV PRN Psys >160" on so many patients with medicine consult for "hypertension."

I would actually argue that IV hydralazine is dangerous, not benign or worthless. I have seen a handful of NSTEMIs caused by IV hydralazine. There are idiosyncratic reactions where some people will have severe hypotension after getting it and it is near impossible to tell who that is going to be. In those with some coronary disease, you create a supply/demand mismatch and therefore cause a demand NSTEMI. There are so many better medications that I feel that IV hydralazine should basically never be used.

PO hydralazine is a different story and has utility for afterload reduction.

Reactions: 6 users
I use hydralazine a lot, but usually as a secondary drug, works like a charm while you figure out the issue. We usually give labetalol or metop IV if the HR can handle it. But when you have a Crani and the attending says below 160 sys... you better keep it below 160. But the ICU gets to use all sorts of neat vasoactive drugs.

Just an RN's 2 cents.

I would actually argue that IV hydralazine is dangerous, not benign or worthless. I have seen a handful of NSTEMIs caused by IV hydralazine. There are idiosyncratic reactions where some people will have severe hypotension after getting it and it is near impossible to tell who that is going to be. In those with some coronary disease, you create a supply/demand mismatch and therefore cause a demand NSTEMI. There are so many better medications that I feel that IV hydralazine should basically never be used.

PO hydralazine is a different story and has utility for afterload reduction.

which meds

I've used it but it's prettty rare and generally only,when lowering their sbp has pressing medical significance. Sometimes it's from being pigeonholed by allergies and other aspects of their clinical picture.

I have a love hate relationship with prns and try to use them selectively and take into account the clinical picture. Maybe all they need for nausea is zofran, but maybe I still want the night person to evaluate them if they get nauseous and want them to get paged because maybe they really need an NG tube or maybe a scan or even an operation.

My number one go to tx for asymptomatic htn = recheck in 30 minutes. Works wonders.

Reactions: 1 users
Bad drug. I rarely use it and there are so many better, longer lasting agents out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang on, prn meds are a good thing if they will be the first line anyways. Why do I need to get called in the middle of the night for, "your pt is nauseous..." "...give them zofran." "You're pt is itchy..." "...give them benadryl." I can either put it in the orders from the beginning what I want done, or I can get called about it at 3am.

I suppose "protect the night team" might sound lame when you have a night team...for those of us who take home call and have to get woken up for stupid little things, it's important to make sure your nurses have the proper orders in to take care of the patients.
Might it be worthwhile to figure out why said patient is nauseated, itchy, or whatever?

which meds

Well it all depends on the indication:

Acutely increased afterload causing flash pulmonary edema- Nitroprusside or nitroglycerin in a pinch
Dissection- Clevidipine, nicardipine, nitroprusside (all after appropriate beta blockade)
PRES d/t Hypertension- Nicardipine, Labetalol
Hypertension causing type II NSTEMI- nitroglycerin

In my opinion, the only reason to give an IV medication for hypertension is because you HAVE TO give a medicine for hypertension. Otherwise, when the nurse calls you about some hypertension without end organ damage you should probably go with POs.

Could you give examples of some of these?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Here's what I have in my notes

Hypertensive emergency (“malignant hypertension”), inpatient
  • Hypertensive encephalopathy
    [Goal: Decrease MAP no greater than 25% in first 24 hours]
    • Nicardipine (Cardene®) 5 mg/hr GTT, increase by 2.5 mg/hr q5mins (rapid) to q15mins (gradual)
      OR
    • Clevidipine (Cleviprex®) 1-2mg/hr GTT, increase by 2x dose q2mins initially, smaller increments q10mins near goal
      [Every 1-2mg/hr increase produces approximately 2-4 mmHg Psys reduction]
  • Acute aortic dissection
    [Goal: Reduce Psys to 100-120 within 20 minutes and HR >60bpm]
    • Esmolol 1 mg/kg IV bolus over 30 seconds, then GTT 150 µg/kg/min
    • + Opioids
    • +/- Clevidipine (see above dosing)
  • Acute hypertensive pulmonary edema
    [Avoid drugs which increase cardiac work (i.e. hydralazine) or decrease inotropy (β-blockers including labetalol]
    • Loop diuretic
    • Sodium nitroprusside 0.3-0.5µg/kg/min, increase by 0.5µg/kg/min
      [Max: 10µg/kg/min or >24hr therapy increases risk of cyanide and thiocyanate toxicity]
    • Enalaprilat (Vasotec IV®) 0.625mg IV over 5 minutes (repeat dose after 1hr if ineffective), then 0.625-1.25mg q6h

* Let me know if I've missed any condition which requires quick IV control of BP.
Asymptomatic severe hypertension is not one of them according to multiple studies and guidelines.

We never prescribe IV hydralazine for anything. I have used PO hydralazine or clonidine x1 to help control elevated BP. It is my default when the patient is maxed on other anti-HTNsives: ACEi/ARB, HCTZ, CCB, or beta blockers. It is better to uptitrate current meds while watching vitals.

PRES d/t Hypertension- Nicardipine, Labetalol
For PRES/RPLS, what do you think of:

and
  • Nicardipine (Cardene®) 5 mg/hr GTT, increase by 2.5 mg/hr q15mins

Might it be worthwhile to figure out why said patient is nauseated, itchy, or whatever?

Nausea I might ask a few questions about (BP, chest pain, etc), but there is very little about itching that can't be fixed over the phone, especially at night.

I would also use IV hydralazine in the OR for adult patients, but that's about it.

Here's what I have in my notes

Hypertensive emergency (“malignant hypertension”), inpatient
  • Hypertensive encephalopathy
    [Goal: Decrease MAP no greater than 25% in first 24 hours]
    • Nicardipine (Cardene®) 5 mg/hr GTT, increase by 2.5 mg/hr q5mins (rapid) to q15mins (gradual)
      OR
    • Clevidipine (Cleviprex®) 1-2mg/hr GTT, increase by 2x dose q2mins initially, smaller increments q10mins near goal
      [Every 1-2mg/hr increase produces approximately 2-4 mmHg Psys reduction]
  • Acute aortic dissection
    [Goal: Reduce Psys to 100-120 within 20 minutes and HR >60bpm]
    • + Opioids
    • +/- Clevidipine (see above dosing)
  • Acute hypertensive pulmonary edema
    [Avoid drugs which increase cardiac work (i.e. hydralazine) or decrease inotropy (β-blockers including labetalol]
    • Loop diuretic
    • Sodium nitroprusside 0.3-0.5µg/kg/min, increase by 0.5µg/kg/min
      [Max: 10µg/kg/min or >24hr therapy increases risk of cyanide and thiocyanate toxicity]
    • Enalaprilat (Vasotec IV®) 0.625mg IV over 5 minutes (repeat dose after 1hr if ineffective), then 0.625-1.25mg q6h

* Let me know if I've missed any condition which requires quick IV control of BP.
Asymptomatic severe hypertension is not one of them according to multiple studies and guidelines.

A few other things: bad enough hypertension to cause an NSTEMI, acute hemorrhagic stroke.

Dissection you can either use Esmolol, IV metop or IV labetalol for beta blockade. We see a lot of dissections and we prefer to use IV metop followed by clevidipine or NTP.

The main teaching point for flash pulmonary edema is that it is not a volume issue but rather an acute afterload issue. You don't suddenly get 5 liters of extra fluid in your body causing pulmonary edema. Rather, your afterload goes through the roof and in that setting you get pulmonary edema. So really the treatment is reduction of afterload. Lasix is not a very potent venodilator and won't get rid of the fluid rapidly enough to fix the problem. On the floors I use SL NTG because it is very fast, potent, easy to get, treats all causes of flash including ischemia and the nurses won't give you pushback on any floor (compared to NTG drip which is often restricted on some floors or nitroprusside which is only done in the ICU).

I don't use enalaprilat for the same reason that I don't use IV hydralazine or sublingual nifedipine.

I guess it is safe to assume that you are not a hospitalist/nocturnist. BTW, you are missing prn Tylenol and Ambien.

Not at 2:00 A.M. May be the abx he got a few hours ago? I don't know. But I know it can wait.

A cardiologist today told me that IV hydralazine is a drug which should never be used for anything.
What? I would totally use IV hydralazine, 5 mg.

If I was on the OB floor and I had a patient who was preeclamptic with a systolic BP of > 160 mm Hg

If I was on the OB floor and I had a patient who was preeclamptic with a systolic BP of > 160 mm Hg
Hydralazine — Hydralazine is a direct arteriolar vasodilator with little or no effect on the venous circulation. Thus, precautions are needed in patients with underlying coronary disease or aortic dissection, and a beta blocker should be given concurrently to minimize reflex sympathetic stimulation. The hypotensive response to hydralazine is less predictable than that seen with other parenteral agents. The use of parenteral hydralazine is primarily limited to pregnant women, although a reduction in the utero-placental blood flow has been reported in such patients. (See "Management of hypertension in pregnant and postpartum women".)

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/drugs-used-for-the-treatment-of-hypertensive-emergencies

Hydralazine — Hydralazine is a direct arteriolar vasodilator with little or no effect on the venous circulation. Thus, precautions are needed in patients with underlying coronary disease or aortic dissection, and a beta blocker should be given concurrently to minimize reflex sympathetic stimulation. The hypotensive response to hydralazine is less predictable than that seen with other parenteral agents. The use of parenteral hydralazine is primarily limited to pregnant women, although a reduction in the utero-placental blood flow has been reported in such patients. (See "Management of hypertension in pregnant and postpartum women".)

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/drugs-used-for-the-treatment-of-hypertensive-emergencies
Of little clinical significance

So sometimes it is, got it.
I know why they're itchy: because they're on pain meds and not opioid tolerant. And at 3am I'm not coming in to search for other reasons.

I know why they're nauseous. Because they had anesthesia recently...and they're on pain meds and not opioid tolerant, and just had their bowels operated on. And at 3am I'm not coming in to search for other reasons.

For me I'm not concerned with minor, normal postsurgical side effects that are regularly treated symptomatically. Would I like to know about it in the morning? Yes. Would I like to know about these things if the patient is also having some other symptoms like rashes and hives or hemodynamic instability? Of course. It doesn't mean I need to wake up at 3 am and go into the hospital everytime a patient who just had a tube shoved down their throat says they have a sore throat and would like a lozenge.

I find it very, very difficult to believe that you guys don't ever have a tylenol prn headache ordered, or prn percocet for pain. You can act all high and mighty and say that you want to be called every time your sickle cell patient hits their PCA pump, but you're not fooling anybody, and you're not giving patient's better care by making your nurse debate at 4 am whether or not she's going to call you in the middle of the night to ask if your patient can have something for a mild headache, or if they'll just wait until you come and round in a few hours.

I'm gonna throw you guys for a real crazy one to show how radical I am: I also send patients home with *gasp* prn meds. I'll even send them in prn meds over the phone when they call in from home and say they are having these small, expected medication/procedural side effects.

I know why they're itchy: because they're on pain meds and not opioid tolerant. And at 3am I'm not coming in to search for other reasons.

I know why they're nauseous. Because they had anesthesia recently...and they're on pain meds and not opioid tolerant, and just had their bowels operated on. And at 3am I'm not coming in to search for other reasons.

For me I'm not concerned with minor, normal postsurgical side effects that are regularly treated symptomatically. Would I like to know about it in the morning? Yes. Would I like to know about these things if the patient is also having some other symptoms like rashes and hives or hemodynamic instability? Of course. It doesn't mean I need to wake up at 3 am and go into the hospital everytime a patient who just had a tube shoved down their throat says they have a sore throat and would like a lozenge.

I find it very, very difficult to believe that you guys don't ever have a tylenol prn headache ordered, or prn percocet for pain. You can act all high and mighty and say that you want to be called every time your sickle cell patient hits their PCA pump, but you're not fooling anybody, and you're not giving patient's better care by making your nurse debate at 4 am whether or not she's going to call you in the middle of the night to ask if your patient can have something for a mild headache, or if they'll just wait until you come and round in a few hours.

I'm gonna throw you guys for a real crazy one to show how radical I am: I also send patients home with *gasp* prn meds. I'll even send them in prn meds over the phone when they call in from home and say they are having these small, expected medication/procedural side effects.
Oh I do that all the time as well, concierge medicine and all, my point was more that you have to consider the potential badness before just telling the nurses to use PRN meds.

Kind of an interesting thread from the ER perspective. I come from the new gen of ER docs, and could really give a **** about asymptomatic hypertension - we spend way too much money on it, subject patients to undue testing and stress because of it and the treatment is really, in truth, to treat our own insecurities about being sued. I don't shoot for "good" numbers and I chastise clonidine users.

I do agree with the pre-eclampsia indication, but where it's been useful short term with a patient in adrenergic crisis (in my practice) is both specific cases of heart failure and methamphetamine use (sometimes both.) Sometimes I titrate my symptomatic meth users up to about 400mcg/min (usually with chest pain and dynamic change) with little result, I almost always have benzo's on board with those folks, but I will use a little hydralazine also. It typically works - it's not an order I can write and leave the bedside or sleep on call.. I agree that many of the orders of PRN hydralazine/labetalol are CYA resident standards harkening from the House of God. They are old, not evidenced based, dumb, and nursing education needs to accompany getting rid of these PRN's for asymptomatic hypertension. I DON'T think, that a resident has any real recourse when a patient develops abnormal vitals to NOT examine the patient, however brief.

It's a tool. I don't think it's a PRN tool - based on the reason for hypertension, there are likely better therapies. Hydralazine does have it's uses though.

As an OB, I use Hydralazine fairly often. It works. The key to antihypertensive therapy is choosing the correct drug for the physiologic process going on. BP is basically flow/volume coming out of the heart x resistance to that flow (preload x afterload). Some drugs affect preload/flow/volume and some affect afterload/resistance, and you have to use the right drug. Simple trick to determine whether it's a volume problem or a resistance problem: Look at your pulse pressure. Now, think of a 55 MPH speed limit. If your pulse pressure were a driving speed, would you likely get a ticket? If no, then it is a resistance/afterload problem. If yes, it is a volume problem. Example: Ms H. Tension shows up with a BP of 163/105. PP= 58. Ticket? Probably not, so this is a resistance problem. She needs a vadodilator to make her arteries more compliant and relaxed. Now, Ms P. R. Clampsia comes in with a BP of 192/111. PP= 81. Ticket? You betcha, so this is a volume problem primarily. I would give her some Labetalol to give her a more negative chronotropic/ ionotropic effect so less volume is shooting out of her left ventricle with every beat. I might even give her a shot of Lasix to volume reduce her. Now, sometimes BP issues are a combo of both volume and resistance issues but watching the pulse pressures is a simple way to help guide your management.

A few other things: bad enough hypertension to cause an NSTEMI, acute hemorrhagic stroke.

Dissection you can either use Esmolol, IV metop or IV labetalol for beta blockade. We see a lot of dissections and we prefer to use IV metop followed by clevidipine or NTP.

Where were you on one of my medicine months? Had a patient with an small occult AAA rupture that had actually clotted off, consulted vascular surgery and when asked about their preferred antihypertensive, the intern very kindly responded "I don't manage blood pressure medications."

I thought that I remembered learning that beta-blockers were the preferred agent in those cases, but I couldn't remember for sure. It was a very delightful interaction.

Where were you on one of my medicine months? Had a patient with an small occult AAA rupture that had actually clotted off, consulted vascular surgery and when asked about their preferred antihypertensive, the intern very kindly responded "I don't manage blood pressure medications."

I thought that I remembered learning that beta-blockers were the preferred agent in those cases, but I couldn't remember for sure. It was a very delightful interaction.

"Hey dingus, for a triple a you do"

I think he/she is cardiology

Theres a great EMCrit lecture on how to titrate an Esmolol drip for this exact situation

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

For asymptoamtic AAA, not urgent. For ruptured AAA, type A, intramural hematoma, penetrating ulcer, an acute type B or a symptomatic aneurysm it is urgent and these people should be in an ICU (which opens up your options for management). It depends on the hospital location as to who manages these patients prior to the OR (anesthesia, vascular/CTS or cardiology). It does seem counter-intuitive that people who aren't used to managing hypertension are acutely managing antihypertensives. At my shop, the surgeons found that cardiology was better at acutely managing these patients so so we manage them until the OR is ready. It makes sense as we are also able to evaluate the aortic valve and pericardium by echo acutely prior to the OR.

Management of acute aortic syndromes is the following:

Beta blockers to start. Goal to give as much as you need to bring the HR down to ~60. As above I said we use metoprolol but most would say that esmolol and even labetolol are ok. You push it quick and hard (that's what she said) because with the degree of catecholamine surge, it is exceptionally rare to run into problems. For instance, the other day, in an hour I gave a total of 400mg IV metoprolol in 10-20mg IV pushes (start slow, and then rapidly go up)

Once your HR is at goal, then you use your other agents. We use Clevidipine because NTP is now exceptionally expensive and with nicardipine we were having problems with hypotension from overzealous titration. I would not use hydralazine

For asymptoamtic AAA, not urgent. For ruptured AAA, type A, intramural hematoma, penetrating ulcer, an acute type B or a symptomatic aneurysm it is urgent and these people should be in an ICU (which opens up your options for management). It depends on the hospital location as to who manages these patients prior to the OR (anesthesia, vascular/CTS or cardiology). It does seem counter-intuitive that people who aren't used to managing hypertension are acutely managing antihypertensives. At my shop, the surgeons found that cardiology was better at acutely managing these patients so so we manage them until the OR is ready. It makes sense as we are also able to evaluate the aortic valve and pericardium by echo acutely prior to the OR.

Management of acute aortic syndromes is the following:

Beta blockers to start. Goal to give as much as you need to bring the HR down to ~60. As above I said we use metoprolol but most would say that esmolol and even labetolol are ok. You push it quick and hard (that's what she said) because with the degree of catecholamine surge, it is exceptionally rare to run into problems. For instance, the other day, in an hour I gave a total of 400mg IV metoprolol in 10-20mg IV pushes (start slow, and then rapidly go up)

Once your HR is at goal, then you use your other agents. We use Clevidipine because NTP is now exceptionally expensive and with nicardipine we were having problems with hypotension from overzealous titration. I would not use hydralazine

omg 400 iv?

Not at once. It was literally a vomit basin full of of metop vials.

Last edited: