i've been holding off...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kneecoal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been postponing sending in my app because in my ps i talked about my experiences with ortho instead of under a gp (because i haven't shadowed a gp) - and i was advised to find one to shadow asap and write about that instead. thing is, i'm still looking for one to shadow. could it make that much difference about what experience i write about in my ps that could make or break me, aside from my below avg gpa (have yet to take the dat)?

Members don't see this ad.

In the end, its all a numbers game. If you have a low gpa, make sure you have a great PS. If you have a good gpa, PS doesn't have to be perfect (conceptually).

I would stick with what you have now. I think it's better to stick with writing about your experiences in the ortho office than to go out in search of experiences to write about, especially since you still haven't been able to find a GP to shadow.

It could be a while longer before you find one to shadow and possibly even longer before you have an experience there that is both interesting and fits into the rest of your PS.

I shadowed an orthodontist and was unsuccessful in my attempt to find a GP to shadow (it came up in one interview and that's the school I got into). Bottom line, you can still try to find a GP to shadow for your own benefit, but I wouldn't suggest that you hold off submitting your app for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would stick with what you have now. I think it's better to stick with writing about your experiences in the ortho office than to go out in search of experiences to write about, especially since you still haven't been able to find a GP to shadow.

It could be a while longer before you find one to shadow and possibly even longer before you have an experience there that is both interesting and fits into the rest of your PS.

I shadowed an orthodontist and was unsuccessful in my attempt to find a GP to shadow (it came up in one interview and that's the school I got into). Bottom line, you can still try to find a GP to shadow for your own benefit, but I wouldn't suggest that you hold off submitting your app for that.
:thumbup:. Agree with that. You won't get enough to write about after shadowing for 5-10 hours (2-3 weeks) anyways. Experience with orthodontist is much more valuable. Don't postpone sending in your app.

write your PS now with your ortho shadowing. just be able to possibly go in to some detail at an interview as to why you only saw an ortho to shadow...

...but b/w now and then, i would advise at least getting SOME gp shadowing under your belt to make you more well rounded. afterall, that is what you go to school to become (in theory)