I've never been this stressed out. Beginning to question my entire career path.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brutess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Because that's what I am - Below average... but some concepts I'll never master... I'm starting to shut down.

"Those who think they CAN and those who think they CAN'T are both usually right"
The best thing you can do to improve is to stop having this type of mindset. Stop giving yourself excuses. Keep working hard to improve your weakness. There are people who get 25+ and study only 4 weeks so you have plenty of time and you can always reschedule.
For your GPA, there is always Post-bac to help.
Yes continue doing Destroyer and learn from your mistakes, don't just do problems and see which you got right and which you got wrong. Your point of doing the destroyer should be that you learn and master the concepts you're weak in.

Reactions: 1 users
My signature is for you OP
I like that quote a lot! This process has been an emotional rollercoaster and this morning I think I reached a new low. I took a few deep breaths and have been working with Cliff's, Feralis', and Destroyer today. Thanks for your comment :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I like that quote a lot! This process has been an emotional rollercoaster and this morning I think I reached a new low. I took a few deep breaths and have been working with Cliff's, Feralis', and Destroyer today. Thanks for your comment :)
You've got this! Don't let low practice scores discourage you, be glad that you had the opportunity to make mistakes now rather than on test day!

What was most helpful for me was working through DAT destroyer. The key was if I got a question wrong I googled to get more information on the topic and made a flash card. I worked the questions all day, then reviewed the card at night before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

With 3 weeks to go I'm starting to lose hope. With a 3.0 cGPA and an even weaker sGPA, I don't see how my future below average/average DAT score will help with a dental school acceptance. Because that's what I am - Below average. I've been studying since mid May and my highest score on Kaplan so far is a AA-17. There's so much more material to tackle that I don't know which direction to take in terms of studying. I have the tools necessary to do well, but some concepts I'll never master. I have a general idea on how to do most problems from Chad's videos. Should I continue DAT Destroyer? Or go back to Chad's and know his lectures like the back of my hand? With this little time left I don't want to waste any of it. BootCamp & Destroyer have been amazing but I'm starting to enter panic mode. I'm starting to shut down.
Stay the course, don't get all over the place with too many materials. It often causes stress and anxiety. You have the DAT Destroyer, you need to stick with the winning materials..Know the Destroyer Cold! Do not take the test until you feel comfortable with the work. With you lower GPA you need to get some high DAT scores and that is no easy task.

Get of the timed test merry go round..I have been on the phone with many students over the past weeks in high states of anxiety because of results on timed tests.

The most real feel to the actual DAT is the 2009, use that as a guide to identify any weakness or catch silly mistakes you might be making.

I have seen students with a similiar GPA score VERY high on the DAT but it wasn't without a lot of work and effort.

Keep going, don't panic..No student that I know of has ever died as a result of the DAT exam.

Keep working away...each day it will get a little better, if you aren't ready when you test day approaches for goodness sake don't take it!

Wishing you the best and feel free to pm me if you like.

Nancy

Reactions: 3 users
Stay the course, don't get all over the place with too many materials. It often causes stress and anxiety. You have the DAT Destroyer, you need to stick with the winning materials..Know the Destroyer Cold! Do not take the test until you feel comfortable with the work. With you lower GPA you need to get some high DAT scores and that is no easy task.

Get of the timed test merry go round..I have been on the phone with many students over the past weeks in high states of anxiety because of results on timed tests.

The most real feel to the actual DAT is the 2009, use that as a guide to identify any weakness or catch silly mistakes you might be making.

I have seen students with a similiar GPA score VERY high on the DAT but it wasn't without a lot of work and effort.

Keep going, don't panic..No student that I know of has ever died as a result of the DAT exam.

Keep working away...each day it will get a little better, if you aren't ready when you test day approaches for goodness sake don't take it!

Nancy
I cannot stress what Nancy said enough. Doing 5 hour timed tests multiple times in the weeks before is exhausting and useless, me and her had this same conversation and she was right. Focus on the content and timing will never be an issue if you get your content mastered. The only issues you should have with timing is with PAT and math. RC on the real test is a joke. I took a makeshift nap in the 10 minutes I had left before QR started

Some of us just have to try harder than others - AND that is ok. Dont give you. Some kids here are just naturally gifted in sciences etc and some need to REALLY study for months. Just accept it and do it. Do it with a smile, bc with a frown (as i have dont) it wont help. My exam in a week, I am feel OkISH, and i have accepted the fact I wont have a 25AA - that is just not how I am build. Does that mean i am going to be a bad dentist - absolutely NOT. I have the heart and the experience and will make it with whatever school will accept me. Be positive. I am 33 yrs old and doing this ... I am sure you are WAY younger. You got this. Start from beginning and just LEARN. Dont need to compete with these scores people are posting. There are 13k students who take this exam EACH YEAR. Dont let a few 25+AA freak you out. LOL! It is all good... we can do it! :)

I cannot stress what Nancy said enough. Doing 5 hour timed tests multiple times in the weeks before is exhausting and useless, me and her had this same conversation and she was right. Focus on the content and timing will never be an issue if you get your content mastered. The only issues you should have with timing is with PAT and math. RC on the real test is a joke. I took a makeshift nap in the 10 minutes I had left before QR started
Yep. Nancy told me that too. I was about to do 7 exams in a week. LOL! Now I am just reviewing it all up and filling in the blanks. Reminding myself of everything. Great advice!

"Those who think they CAN and those who think they CAN'T are both usually right"
The best thing you can do to improve is to stop having this type of mindset. Stop giving yourself excuses. Keep working hard to improve your weakness. There are people who get 25+ and study only 4 weeks so you have plenty of time and you can always reschedule.
For your GPA, there is always Post-bac to help.
Yes continue doing Destroyer and learn from your mistakes, don't just do problems and see which you got right and which you got wrong. Your point of doing the destroyer should be that you learn and master the concepts you're weak in.

Love the quote, time to make a signature

Some of us just have to try harder than others - AND that is ok. Dont give you. Some kids here are just naturally gifted in sciences etc and some need to REALLY study for months. Just accept it and do it. Do it with a smile, bc with a frown (as i have dont) it wont help. My exam in a week, I am feel OkISH, and i have accepted the fact I wont have a 25AA - that is just not how I am build. Does that mean i am going to be a bad dentist - absolutely NOT. I have the heart and the experience and will make it with whatever school will accept me. Be positive. I am 33 yrs old and doing this ... I am sure you are WAY younger. You got this. Start from beginning and just LEARN. Dont need to compete with these scores people are posting. There are 13k students who take this exam EACH YEAR. Dont let a few 25+AA freak you out. LOL! It is all good... we can do it! :)

I can't imagine learning road maps at 33, brave soul!

Nancy
Thanks so much Nancy! I'll keep this all in mind throughout the next few weeks. I'll be sure to PM you with questions and updates. You ROCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
If crying at the library's bathroom is considered an Olympic sport, then it would be my time to shine. I'm in the same boat OP, I just want you to know you are not alone and because you voiced your concern and received advice, suffering souls like myself can benefit too! so thanks for that and god speed. This whole experience will just be a story we tell someday, I look forward to that...and to making a killer breakdown on this website, so lets just focus on that for now.

Hey! I just want you to know that there are many others in the exact same boat as you (me included). I spent weeks crying from the high amount of anxiety and stress I placed on myself. My biggest advice is that when you start to feel that panic mode back away, take some time to relax and then go again. I promise that when you are panicking like that you will NOT be absorbing any information and BE CONFIDENT!!!!!! You did not come this far to give up. At the end of the day it does not matter if everybody believes in you, if YOU don’t believe in yourself.

OP, if you can take 30 minutes and do some exercise, it will help you to relax and retain the info better. I can promise you this from personal experience :). It sounds like you are doing your best. Even if you don't end up with the scores you desire, guess what - you can always retake! I know you don't want to but seriously, a poor DAT score would not even be the end of your career. What's the point in stressing when all that's going to do is interfere with your retention of the subject matter? Take a day for yourself if you can, refocus, and do something really fun that has nothing to do with this damn test. You've got this!

For the next 3 weeks (tons of time, btw!) if I were you I would focus on Destroyer. I echo what everyone else says about not getting bogged down in timed tests. Any time you encounter a problem you can't solve, watch a few youtube/Chad's videos until you have the concept down. You don't have to learn every single concept today. :)

With 3 weeks to go I'm starting to lose hope. With a 3.0 cGPA and an even weaker sGPA, I don't see how my future below average/average DAT score will help with a dental school acceptance. Because that's what I am - Below average. I've been studying since mid May and my highest score on Kaplan so far is a AA-17. There's so much more material to tackle that I don't know which direction to take in terms of studying. I have the tools necessary to do well, but some concepts I'll never master. I have a general idea on how to do most problems from Chad's videos. Should I continue DAT Destroyer? Or go back to Chad's and know his lectures like the back of my hand? With this little time left I don't want to waste any of it. BootCamp & Destroyer have been amazing but I'm starting to enter panic mode. I'm starting to shut down.
I feel you! I've been there before. Think about what you really want? Are you just panicking because you're not grasping concepts? and because of that now you might want to think of alternative careers?! Think carefully, because I've been in your shoes before. I panicked? and what did I do? apply to a graduate program that had nothing to do with dentistry, knowing all I ever wanted to be was a dentist. Luckily, I didn't get accepted. I think I would have been doing OK in the other field...but anyway, I lost 2 years of my life trying to pursue something because I went for the "easy way out." Anyway, now I'm back, struggling A LOT... trying to learn all these concepts that apparently, I never fully had a grasp on. Now, I have a toddler and I'm pregnant... and all over the place with this DAT stuff, but this is what I really want... so let's not give up and keep going!

Same boat as you, OP. I have a weak GPA myself, so I can totally relate with the amount of pressure that's weighed on our shoulders to succeed and do well. However, mine is in less than two weeks and, believe me, I'm freaking out. Hard. There have been tears, frustrations, feelings of hopelessness and dread. I don't feel prepared, but will anyone truly feel prepared for an exam like this? Sometimes it feels all too much, but chin up! Three weeks is plenty of time to do something about those scores! You got this! Usually when I need a breather and feel too overwhelmed, I like to step back and take the dog out for a mini walk. Gets you and your little pup some fresh air after all those hours being housed inside :) And if you don't have a fur baby, then just bring yourself out into the world and breathe. There's hope!

If crying at the library's bathroom is considered an Olympic sport, then it would be my time to shine. I'm in the same boat OP, I just want you to know you are not alone and because you voiced your concern and received advice, suffering souls like myself can benefit too! so thanks for that and god speed. This whole experience will just be a story we tell someday, I look forward to that...and to making a killer breakdown on this website, so lets just focus on that for now.
Good luck! and thanks for the comment.

Hey OP keep your head up! I've seen plenty of people post practice scores like that and end up with a 20+! It's not over until you see your score on test day. How much time do you have left? Check out my breakdown, I think it could help give you some guidance http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breakdown-for-non-trads-23aa-24ts.1208791/ . I also have a low GPA so I understand the stress of needing a high score. Have faith and keep grinding and you'll think the DAT is easy come test day. Make sure you watch and take notes on all of Chad's videos for GC, OC, and QR. Now make sure you can go through his quizzes and know why you're getting the right answer. I would highly recommend memorizing every reaction that Chad provides in the reaction file. This is essential in my opinion. Once you have his quizzes down, start going through destroyer. Do 30 questions of GC and OC a day. Go through the solutions slowly and learn from them. Do not make the mistake of just marking what you got wrong. For QR, I used math destroyer. I would recommend doing 1 test a day and learning from your mistakes. Start off with cliffs for biology. Read every chapter and take notes or male flash cards on it. Personally I made flash cards for every term I didn't know and memorized them. Once you're at that point, you can slowly go through feralis. For PAT and RC, I would highly recommend purchasing bootcamp. It was my only source for those two sections and it helped me out a ton. Once you've gone through destroyer the first time and have a good handle on cliffs, I would start using bootcamp for full length practice exams. Spread them out until your test day. These are awesome and you will learn a ton. Read my breakdown for more details but if you follow this you'll be on track for an awesome score!
Great advice! I do have the books necessary to do well. I'm not sure what to do with bootcamp because I've heard that the full length questions are just taken from the practice questions. The generators are sooo awesome though! Today I watched some KhanAcademy, looked at Russelldw's notes, and did bio destroyer. AWESOME SCORES BTW!

Hey! I just want you to know that there are many others in the exact same boat as you (me included). I spent weeks crying from the high amount of anxiety and stress I placed on myself. My biggest advice is that when you start to feel that panic mode back away, take some time to relax and then go again. I promise that when you are panicking like that you will NOT be absorbing any information and BE CONFIDENT!!!!!! You did not come this far to give up. At the end of the day it does not matter if everybody believes in you, if YOU don’t believe in yourself.
You speak nothing but the truth. Thanks!

OP, if you can take 30 minutes and do some exercise, it will help you to relax and retain the info better. I can promise you this from personal experience :). It sounds like you are doing your best. Even if you don't end up with the scores you desire, guess what - you can always retake! I know you don't want to but seriously, a poor DAT score would not even be the end of your career. What's the point in stressing when all that's going to do is interfere with your retention of the subject matter? Take a day for yourself if you can, refocus, and do something really fun that has nothing to do with this damn test. You've got this!

For the next 3 weeks (tons of time, btw!) if I were you I would focus on Destroyer. I echo what everyone else says about not getting bogged down in timed tests. Any time you encounter a problem you can't solve, watch a few youtube/Chad's videos until you have the concept down. You don't have to learn every single concept today. :)
One thing I'm happy about is being able to go to the gym after every long day of studying. It helps me keep my mind off the DAT. Instead of tiring my brain, I tire my muscles! :p

I feel you! I've been there before. Think about what you really want? Are you just panicking because you're not grasping concepts? and because of that now you might want to think of alternative careers?! Think carefully, because I've been in your shoes before. I panicked? and what did I do? apply to a graduate program that had nothing to do with dentistry, knowing all I ever wanted to be was a dentist. Luckily, I didn't get accepted. I think I would have been doing OK in the other field...but anyway, I lost 2 years of my life trying to pursue something because I went for the "easy way out." Anyway, now I'm back, struggling A LOT... trying to learn all these concepts that apparently, I never fully had a grasp on. Now, I have a toddler and I'm pregnant... and all over the place with this DAT stuff, but this is what I really want... so let's not give up and keep going!
Hang in there! If you ever need to vent or talk, you can always PM. I'll be here giving back to this incredibly generous community.

Same boat as you, OP. I have a weak GPA myself, so I can totally relate with the amount of pressure that's weighed on our shoulders to succeed and do well. However, mine is in less than two weeks and, believe me, I'm freaking out. Hard. There have been tears, frustrations, feelings of hopelessness and dread. I don't feel prepared, but will anyone truly feel prepared for an exam like this? Sometimes it feels all too much, but chin up! Three weeks is plenty of time to do something about those scores! You got this! Usually when I need a breather and feel too overwhelmed, I like to step back and take the dog out for a mini walk. Gets you and your little pup some fresh air after all those hours being housed inside :) And if you don't have a fur baby, then just bring yourself out into the world and breathe. There's hope!
Haha, little fur baby - I like that a lot! I wonder if your doggy refers to you as his/her big human. Good luck on your test though, you're going to rock it. I mean you're going to be sentenced to 90 years in prison for killing the DAT.

DONT GIVE UP!!! If I can do it you guys can too :)! Use that frustration in your studies! Do those science problems and show them who's boss :D!