J1 Visa sponsor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. P27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an admit from UCSF but I require a sponsor for J1 Visa. Does anybody know how to get a sponsor or what the process is?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF has to sponsor the J1 visa if you are going to work/study/internship with them

Hey, I did speak to the office. They don't sponsor short term non degree courses is what they told me :(
UCSF has to sponsor the J1 visa if you are going to work/study/internship with them

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no way someone else can sponsor your visa if you are going to use it to do an internship at UCSF (since that would be illegal) :(. I don't understand why they accept you if they do not sponsor visas.
Maybe another option is:
- If you have a tourist visa, you can volunteer.
- UCSF would have to pay immigrations fee for your visa, probably that's the reason why they don't want to do it. Ask if you can do a "donation" for that amount of money and they can sponsor your visa that way. I don't know if this is possible but just ask. You would have to prove to immigration you have enough money to stay and cover all your expenses during the internship time.

I have J1 visa, let me know if you have any other question :)

There's no way someone else can sponsor your visa if you are going to use it to do an internship at UCSF (since that would be illegal) :(. I don't understand why they accept you if they do not sponsor visas.
Maybe another option is:
- If you have a tourist visa, you can volunteer.
- UCSF would have to pay immigrations fee for your visa, probably that's the reason why they don't want to do it. Ask if you can do a "donation" for that amount of money and they can sponsor your visa that way. I don't know if this is possible but just ask. You would have to prove to immigration you have enough money to stay and cover all your expenses during the internship time.

I have J1 visa, let me know if you have any other question :)
Thank you so much for the explanation! So I spoke to the ISSO and they need an employer of mine to sponsor the course. Either an employer or some organization that can sponsor me. Apart from that, scholarships also work but none of the scholarships provide funding for a short term non degree course. So I e requested my employer to do the needful. Let's hope things work out