J1 Visa - waiver & 2 year home residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortho_mds

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted in a 1 year fellowship program which offers J1 Visa. But it has a mandatory rule regarding 2 year home residency requirement. I would like to know if anyone has gone through this and did they go back to their home country or did they apply for the J1 Visa waiver?
How does it work and what are the chances of getting this waiver?

Members don't see this ad.

It depend from where are you from. I have J1, I can try to help you with your questions if you tell me your country.

It depend from where are you from. I have J1, I can try to help you with your questions if you tell me your country.
I have a B1/B2 visa. Can i convert it to a J1 Visa after gaining admission into an Aegd program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you actually do not convert the visa. That's your tourist visa you will not lose it.
You will have to go to the US embassy to obtain the approval of J1 and get the visa stamp.
So, for example, I currently I have 2 US visas, the B1/B2 and J1.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you actually do not convert the visa. That's your tourist visa you will not lose it.
You will have to go to the US embassy to obtain the approval of J1 and get the visa stamp.
So, for example, I currently I have 2 US visas, the B1/B2 and J1.
AEGD is done on J1 Visa right?