Jacobs SOM (Buffalo) vs Renaissance SOM (Stony Brook)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

everythingbutthebagel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick Background: NYS resident (give me that SUNY tution) and currently interested in OB/GYN :)

Buffalo
Pros
  • Went here for undergrad- already know the area, the hospital system, and many of the incoming and current medical students
  • Closer to home (~1.5 hours)
  • Prefer to live and work in a city
  • Brand new medical campus !!!
  • Can afford to live alone within walking distance to the school or possibly w/ my SO (he's currently on the waitlist at Buffalo so fingers crossed)
Cons
  • Quintile rankings during pre-clinical so more competition
  • Haven't heard back about scholarships but currently $15k/year more expensive
  • Ranked a little lower (not sure if this matters to me or not)
----
Stony Brook

Pros
  • Received $15,000/year of need-based aid
  • Shorter pre-clinical (18 months) with lots of free time during M4
  • Pre-clincial grades don't contirubte to your quartile rank
  • Would be convenient to have an attached university hospital
  • Impressive match list and slightly better name recognition
  • smaller class size (130 vs 185)
Cons
  • Lack of a support system- family would be ~7 hours away
  • High cost of living- would probably need roommates and would be commuting by car to campus
  • Not super interested in staying in the NYC/LI area for residency
Summary: Are my reasons for choosing Buffalo worth $60,000 (plus interest) if I don't receive any scholarship or aid?
There is something to be said about staying where I feel comfortable and have a pre-existing support system, but I know there are benefits to moving to a new place and getting out of your comfort zone. I think location-wise Buffalo is a better fit for me, but Stony Brook may be a better fit for me academically. Please help!

(Edit: Also got into Upstate which I think I've ruled out at this point, but I'm open to hearing people's opinions)

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think 60k is that much in the grand scheme of things. Also I think the area around stony brook is more expensive to live in compared to buffalo, so you may not be saving as much money as you think.

Reactions: 1 user
Cost of living near Stony Brook is quite high. I believe much higher than Buffalo. The new campus at Buffalo is pretty impressive from what I've read / seen on-line. Stony Brook seemed disorganized when I dealt with them a couple years back. Documentation stale, questions went unanswered. Felt like I could get lost in the shuffle there without a lot of support from the staff. Just a sense, no hard data.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think having a support system may be more important. I do not think 60k will be much in the grand scheme of things as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks to everyone who responded! I ended decided on Buffalo for a lot of the reason you all mentioned