Jan. 2014 Examiners Unite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone here postpone their exam to or are planning to take the exam on January 2014? It's the final year in the old format without the new psychology/biochemistry section.

My reason for postponing to January is because I got a bit too lazy in the studying process and will be starting a new job soon, so my September date is too soon for me to be ready to tackle the beast. So I postponed to January. Anyone else out there in a similar situation, any way if there is we have about 5 months of studying to do for this exam.

I plan on starting tonight. Let's try to inspire, motivate, offer a shoulder to cry on, and give advice to our fellow peers who have postponed their exam to Jan or will plan to register in Jan.

Please don't act negatively towards your fellow sdners, or kick them when they are down. I know this happens a lot here in these forums. Keep your bad comments to yourself because we are all friends here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Hi fellow MCATers. Sooooo I started day 1 of the SN2 schedule yesterday (prepping for January test date) . It was such a drag. I HATE reading about kinematics and basic physics. I'm always telling myself this will not be on the MCAT.

How do you read the chapters that seem pointless. I could not focus. Anyone feel my pain?! lol :sleep:

Kinematics is one of the easiest physics sections. It will definitely be on the Mcat. It was on every practice exam I took. When you are going through the material, I suggest to read thoroughly and absorb as much info as
Possible. If you skim or just try and get through it, when you are done studying at the end of the 2-3
Months, you won't remember the information. Also, it is imperative that you do practice questions and passages.

It's great seeing people work full time jobs, take part time classes, and still study for the MCAT. How is everyone holding up? I won't lie, sometimes I get a bit scared and think I won't be able to handle this very tight schedule. Anyone mind sharing what helps you stay encouraged? Thanks!

I've been having some trouble getting myself to study as well. Especially when I can't stand the subject at all (physics)...

I googled Chad's videos coupon code and I found a link to the fb page and in it was a coupon code. It took a little digging.

I didn't know this even costs... But it seems like everyone here finds it very, very helpful. Will put this in definite consideration.

Hi fellow MCATers. Sooooo I started day 1 of the SN2 schedule yesterday (prepping for January test date) . It was such a drag. I HATE reading about kinematics and basic physics. I'm always telling myself this will not be on the MCAT.

How do you read the chapters that seem pointless. I could not focus. Anyone feel my pain?! lol :sleep:

HATE, HATE, HATE physics...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been having some trouble getting myself to study as well. Especially when I can't stand the subject at all (physics)...

I didn't know this even costs... But it seems like everyone here finds it very, very helpful. Will put this in definite consideration.

I had to learn physics from
Scratch. Used chad and BR. Worked great. Highly recommend mr. Chad.

Keep it up guys, I made my schedule to start studying next week after the Sept 12th test, but I just started today (feel extremely proud). Who is sitting but voiding for the Sept 12th test? I am in MA, it would be awesome to meet one of you in real life ;)

Keep it up guys, I made my schedule to start studying next week after the Sept 12th test, but I just started today (feel extremely proud). Who is sitting but voiding for the Sept 12th test? I am in MA, it would be awesome to meet one of you in real life ;)

Ill be sitting for the September 12 test and voiding.

Full time working non-trad here. I got a 27 on my first attempt back in 2010 (7PS, 10BS, 10V), took it again this may and voided, slacked off for a while and now planning on buckling down and getting ready for the January exam. I find it so incredibly arduous getting through all the written material, so I've developed a new plan based largely on the wikipremed videos. I have TBR books for the areas I'm weakest in (physics and Gen Chem), so I'll be using those as references and practice problems as well. Here's hoping it works!

Kinematics is one of the easiest physics sections. It will definitely be on the Mcat. It was on every practice exam I took. When you are going through the material, I suggest to read thoroughly and absorb as much info as
Possible. If you skim or just try and get through it, when you are done studying at the end of the 2-3
Months, you won't remember the information. Also, it is imperative that you do practice questions and passages.

High yield on the practice exams doesn't necessarily translate over to it being guaranteed on the real exam. I took my first real one last month and I don't think I remember seeing even one kinematic question on there. I would just recommend familiarizing yourself with as many different topics as possible because anything is free game, though it does help to know the high yield topics by heart. Everything else is spot on though! Don't skim, but actually go through everything carefully!

Full time working non-trad here. I got a 27 on my first attempt back in 2010 (7PS, 10BS, 10V), took it again this may and voided, slacked off for a while and now planning on buckling down and getting ready for the January exam. I find it so incredibly arduous getting through all the written material, so I've developed a new plan based largely on the wikipremed videos. I have TBR books for the areas I'm weakest in (physics and Gen Chem), so I'll be using those as references and practice problems as well. Here's hoping it works!

Good luck studying! I'm retaking in January and I've got pretty much the same game plan as you except stacked on top of school work ha...

Members don't see this ad :)
Half Chad's videos are free. How do you buy the rest is there any difference?

Do any of these include Physics videos?

Half free????

I didn't check the past week....unless there are some promotion going on.

To my understanding, you have to pay Physics, O-Chem, G-Chem but Biology is free since it is not "totally" complete yet as of last week....as I didn't check the past few days.

You can buy individual topic or buy the whole MCAT science package (Phys, O-Chem & G-Chem).

Last edited:

Yeah...no. You absolutely cannot make this statement.

Gunning toward the Jan MCAT date as well! Started doing some spotty content review in August but now I am really trying to buckle down since it's September and for some odd reason I feel like there isn't enough time :((.

Spoke to my friend who attends Upstate University Med yesterday too and he really humbled me. I have the Physics and Math review for TPR right now. How should I go about reviewing ? A chapter a day? or should I go for more than that?

Thanks in advance SDN fam

Me! Siting on the 12th but voiding that sucker! I got a 26 on my first practice test so I decided to wait. January retake for me

Do you guys suggest holding off on using 101 verbal exams until closer to November/December? There are 14 total exams, and while I was originally planning on taking 5 per week, I realized that I'd be out of them in less than 3 weeks.

Is there anything else that I can buy? I'd rather have a large volume that I can constantly expend without having to ration material.

Thanks!

Do you guys suggest holding off on using 101 verbal exams until closer to November/December? There are 14 total exams, and while I was originally planning on taking 5 per week, I realized that I'd be out of them in less than 3 weeks.

Is there anything else that I can buy? I'd rather have a large volume that I can constantly expend without having to ration material.

Thanks!

TPR verbal workbook is good

Thanks!

1) Gold Standard - 10 FL VR (not representitive, but VERY good practice). Be sure to do those FIRST.

2) TPR Verbal Workbook - mix it together with EK101.

3) The AAMC guide has a 6 passages (30Q) section.

4) AAMC SA has 120 Q one for VR.

5) Kaplan 45 has a section of VR that has 35 Q.

6) All other 3rd parties FL contains VR section test.....Kaplan (free). PR (free). GS (free)

Hope that help some

I just recently started doing 1 or 2 passages a day from EK101 but I also have TPRH Verbal.

I'm not sure how to feel about EK101. So far in my case, the most random answer is usually the correct one which is the one that I don't choose. :p

Last edited:
Yesterday felt like a drag! It was supposed to be a review/problems day. For some reason, it just didn't work out. I did 44 problems on kinematics and got 21 right.:scared: That's not even half! I felt like a complete failure and started to think if I could really re-learn Physics in just a month.

Since I did so poorly yesterday, I decided to spend another day on kinematics. Needless to say, it's a little better.

Important lesson is accept you will have bad days. One day at a time, guys, one day at a time.

Yesterday felt like a drag! It was supposed to be a review/problems day. For some reason, it just didn't work out. I did 44 problems on kinematics and got 21 right.:scared: That's not even half! I felt like a complete failure and started to think if I could really re-learn Physics in just a month.

Since I did so poorly yesterday, I decided to spend another day on kinematics. Needless to say, it's a little better.

Important lesson is accept you will have bad days. One day at a time, guys, one day at a time.

A month??

Is that too long or short? We are about four months away from Jan. I figured if I spend a month in Physics and about 3 weeks in the other sections, I can have the last month just doing problems and FLs.

I would spread it out. Have you seen SN2 schedule? If not, do a quick search for it. It works really well. I wouldn't do only physics or only any other subject at one time. Switch every day. Do physics kinematics Monday, gen chem stoich Tuesday, bio wed, ect. If you do an entire subject in a
Month, by the end you are gonna have a hard time remembering it because you haven't seen it in so long.

I would spread it out. Have you seen SN2 schedule? If not, do a quick search for it. It works really well. I wouldn't do only physics or only any other subject at one time. Switch every day. Do physics kinematics Monday, gen chem stoich Tuesday, bio wed, ect. If you do an entire subject in a
Month, by the end you are gonna have a hard time remembering it because you haven't seen it in so long.

I have seen the schedule and I will definitely think about using that instead. Thanks for the input!

I am so pleased to see this thread. I planned to take the sept 7th test but decided to postpone. everyone told me it would be difficult to study while going to school full time and working part time but I'm glad a lot of people here are in the same boat as I am as I have no choice but to do both while studying. You guys are my motivation. We can do this with this excellent support system.

I think my problem last time was I spent almost 2 months on content review without doing any practice question and my first aamc was terrible as well as my second so I just decided to postpone. but this time I will focus on doing a lot of practice probs. I am doing every other question from ek 1001 series as well as practice questions and tests from Kaplan. oh I also signed up for Kaplan, I heard their online materials are really good.
The first time I did do the tbr and chad and it was really helpful, I just wish I had focused as well on practice probs. Now I am going to use tpr and a few online materials as supplements because tbr was a little intimidating to me as I hate to read but is really good for people who are a bit rusty on the subjects. Anyway I'm glad to have you all as my support system, let's do this!

I am so pleased to see this thread. I planned to take the sept 7th test but decided to postpone. everyone told me it would be difficult to study while going to school full time and working part time but I'm glad a lot of people here are in the same boat as I am as I have no choice but to do both while studying. You guys are my motivation. We can do this with this excellent support system.

I think my problem last time was I spent almost 2 months on content review without doing any practice question and my first aamc was terrible as well as my second so I just decided to postpone. but this time I will focus on doing a lot of practice probs. I am doing every other question from ek 1001 series as well as practice questions and tests from Kaplan. oh I also signed up for Kaplan, I heard their online materials are really good.
The first time I did do the tbr and chad and it was really helpful, I just wish I had focused as well on practice probs. Now I am going to use tpr and a few online materials as supplements because tbr was a little intimidating to me as I hate to read but is really good for people who are a bit rusty on the subjects. Anyway I'm glad to have you all as my support system, let's do this!
Good luck with studying! I'm going to be taking classes as well, but i'm glad I got a good start this summer. I'm trying to incorporate as much MCAT as I can to the classes i am taking. It's about Bio and Verbal for sure can be learned through the classes I'm taking, so if I can figure out a way to work in Physics, I'll be set for Jan!

Hi first time posting here in SDN. So I took MCAT last April and voided because I got raped by physical sciences. Plan to take MCAT in January with you all. I have been studying for 2 months up to this point mainly focusing on Gen Chem and Physics with a little Bio splashed in there. I am using the BR for Gen Chem, Physics, Organic and I am using Princeton Review for Biology. I thought Princeton Bio prepared me well last time. Hope to finish up last 3 chapters of Gen Chem and last 3 chapters of Physics by next Sunday. My goal is by early October to start taking practice exams and just work on weaknesses up until my test. Hope that my strategy works this time around.

Last time I just had so much anxiety, so many people bugged me about my studying and it truly affected my mindset and added to more and more anxiety about the exam. This time around I stopped communicating with people that stressed me out about the test including friends and some family and it has helped me immensely. I have learned that you really need to have people around you that are positive. The worst thing you can do is stress yourself out with anxiety for this test, so now I just take one day at a time and surround myself with people that believe in me. There are lots of haters out there so beware. My favorite ones are the people that judge you, yet have never studied for the MCAT a day in their life, those are my favorite people lol.

Well I am here to join the struggle with you all, so I wish you all good luck.

Finishing up Thermochemistry chapter as we speak :D

Oh yeah I have been using the chads videos for gen chem and physics and I really like them. I use them before I read each new chapter and it really helps me to understand the BR chapters.

High yield on the practice exams doesn't necessarily translate over to it being guaranteed on the real exam. I took my first real one last month and I don't think I remember seeing even one kinematic question on there. I would just recommend familiarizing yourself with as many different topics as possible because anything is free game, though it does help to know the high yield topics by heart. Everything else is spot on though! Don't skim, but actually go through everything carefully!

I realize that it isn't guaranteed to be on the exam, but NOTHING is guaranteed. What I am saying is that he/she should definitely be able to work through ANY topic that is listed on the AAMC outline. The only way to do this is to do a lot of practice passages. When I was studying, purely reading the content didn't make me remember much. The topics where I engaged and did practice problems is the stuff I remembered. The stuff where I skipped practice problems because I was slacking and being lazy (optics and electrochemistry) I still right now am shaky on it. The take home here is that you have 4 months. Bust your @ss and get your stuff done. You will be rewarded if you do that. If you breeze through it and just "get done" or "study for 5 hours today so I am done" you will end up screwing yourself over because at the end of content review, you will have to review over again because you forgot most of the material. When setting your goals, instead of saying "I am going to study for 5 hours today" the goal should be "I am going to understand kinematics today and be able to complete problems." Just my take.

Thanks @KDV and @Oomp really appreciate the words of encouragement.

I'm glad this thread is becoming more active, it's reassuring to know many people are in similar work situations.

Oh yeah I have been using the chads videos for gen chem and physics and I really like them. I use them before I read each new chapter and it really helps me to understand the BR chapters.

I think because tbr can be really intimidating, this is good idea because atleast you know what you are going into and it wouldn't be as daunting. Well especially for me who hates reading. I did use chad's videos last time and it was of very great help, so this time i would probably try other online supplements but anyway i think it's a good idea.

--------------------
Thanks for the encouragement :)

----------------------
Me too!!!

--------------
which schedule are you using?

I realize that it isn't guaranteed to be on the exam, but NOTHING is guaranteed. What I am saying is that he/she should definitely be able to work through ANY topic that is listed on the AAMC outline. The only way to do this is to do a lot of practice passages. When I was studying, purely reading the content didn't make me remember much. The topics where I engaged and did practice problems is the stuff I remembered. The stuff where I skipped practice problems because I was slacking and being lazy (optics and electrochemistry) I still right now am shaky on it. The take home here is that you have 4 months. Bust your @ss and get your stuff done. You will be rewarded if you do that. If you breeze through it and just "get done" or "study for 5 hours today so I am done" you will end up screwing yourself over because at the end of content review, you will have to review over again because you forgot most of the material. When setting your goals, instead of saying "I am going to study for 5 hours today" the goal should be "I am going to understand kinematics today and be able to complete problems." Just my take.
-----------------------
Yeassss!! you better speak life today! Thanks for that! :thumbup: :clap:

any tweaks to your "training" schedule? I'm 5-6 days behind on Sn2ed guide but I'm doing a modified 5 month variation and using more books for passages/practice.

Knocked out last night and did not finish Thermochemistry chapter. Think Im going to supplement with Wikipremed videos right now to get a better handle of this stuff. Good luck peeps, get in hard day of studying today. :laugh::laugh:

Sat and voided Sept 11th, I failed you America.

That being said, will most likely be taking one of the mid-January exams, so ~4 months of studying.

Exhausted almost all the AAMC's except #11, which I'll probably take after the new year to gauge where I'm at.

My plan is using TBR again for content review (Gonna go over everything again), supplementing with Chad's Videos/Wikipremed, and really focusing on weak points. TBR end of the chapter diagnostics + EK 1001 series for practice, and TPRH/EK 101 for Verbal Practice. Will also be reading some "self-help" books to help with my reading pace/comprehension (Art of War/How to Win Friends and Influence People/Think And Grow Rich/etc)

Shooting for a 32+ (11/10/11), going into the September 11th exam I was averaging flat 9's across the board, so 4 months should be ample time to bring each section up to double digits.

We're all gonna make it brahs

Sat and voided Sept 11th, I failed you America.

That being said, will most likely be taking one of the mid-January exams, so ~4 months of studying.

Exhausted almost all the AAMC's except #11, which I'll probably take after the new year to gauge where I'm at.

My plan is using TBR again for content review (Gonna go over everything again), supplementing with Chad's Videos/Wikipremed, and really focusing on weak points. TBR end of the chapter diagnostics + EK 1001 series for practice, and TPRH/EK 101 for Verbal Practice. Will also be reading some "self-help" books to help with my reading pace/comprehension (Art of War/How to Win Friends and Influence People/Think And Grow Rich/etc)

Shooting for a 32+ (11/10/11), going into the September 11th exam I was averaging flat 9's across the board, so 4 months should be ample time to bring each section up to double digits.

We're all gonna make it brahs

Get it bro, sounds like you are in good shape, just gotta keep truckin !!!!!

Davidasauras did you think the exam you voided yesterday was on par difficulty level with AAMC tests? Detailed or more concept based?